Modding Asus PCE AC68

j1404
Go to solution Solved by aom,

I'll also cover the prospector. Shall I cover the chips? And what is the matter with spray paint

the chips dont need to be covered simply because the chips on a wifi card really dont produce much heat.(unless you like the chips as is) There is nothing wrong with spray paint, but PlastiDip is a better choice for this application. With spray paint, some may be conductive and cause all sorts of short circuits and such. Plus, PlastiDip can be easily removed and basically electrical tape so it wont conduct. 

And lastly, because you can pretty much peel off PlastiDip, if you have a problem with the board, peel it off and you still got your warranty. 

The Asus PCE-AC68 is red I want to paint it blue to fit it in with the colour scheme of my PC. my question is can you spray paint a circuit board?

It's very risky, most people who mod the colour of PCB's used plasti-dip while taping up all the chips and contacts on the board. Or, you could just grab a black one as black fits any colour scheme:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995011

Plasti-dip is spray on electrical tape effectively (made by the same company even). 

Not sure how that could mess up a contact or chip on a circuit board, but ok.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Plasti-dip is spray on electrical tape effectively (made by the same company even). 

Not sure how that could mess up a contact or chip on a circuit board, but ok.

Yes completely covering electrical components increases heat, which increases resistance which in turn can cause issues, I've seen it happen, I've plasti-dipped a GPU fine, but my ECC ram modules didn't make it through

So plasti dip protects the components and then you paint the PCB ? will heat be a big issue with a wifi card ?

well there isnt many parts on the PCB. 

ASUS_RT-AC66U_802.11ac_Wireless_AC1750_D

well there isnt many parts on the PCB. 

as long as you cover the pci connection with tape or something when you apply the plastidip, then you are fine. Something like a wifi card doesnt really produce much heat anyways. 

In general, all you need to do is keep interfaces covered when doing any kind of painting and such as well as components on the pcb with high heat output (including heatsinks)

I'll also cover the prospector. Shall I cover the chips? And what is the matter with spray paint

the chips dont need to be covered simply because the chips on a wifi card really dont produce much heat.(unless you like the chips as is) There is nothing wrong with spray paint, but PlastiDip is a better choice for this application. With spray paint, some may be conductive and cause all sorts of short circuits and such. Plus, PlastiDip can be easily removed and basically electrical tape so it wont conduct. 

And lastly, because you can pretty much peel off PlastiDip, if you have a problem with the board, peel it off and you still got your warranty. 

Thank you everyone  :)  Right lets get onto amazon and mod a wifi card! It won't be straight away because of college but I will do a video on how to do it  :)