4K VRAM Usage...

Go to solution Solved by helping,

lolno

4k needs all the VRAM, I'd say 4gb+ min. You might be able to scrape by with 3GB for now, but for how long isn't certain. 

I can't really tell how long it'll take to become obsolete, but as long as we have consoles 3GB should last for a respectable amount of time (in most cases), ignoring 4k. 

So I have been looking into all these VRAMS, 3, 4, and 6 and It seems like 3 GB is the "sweet spot" according to Digital Storm (Huge thanks to them, their videos are extremely helpful.) 

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/video-memory-usage-at-4k-uhd-resolutions-idnum146/

But my ultimate question is, when more graphic intensive games come out (4K Res Textures), will the 3 GB still hold? How long would 3GB of VRAM become obsolete?

lolno

4k needs all the VRAM, I'd say 4gb+ min. You might be able to scrape by with 3GB for now, but for how long isn't certain. 

I can't really tell how long it'll take to become obsolete, but as long as we have consoles 3GB should last for a respectable amount of time (in most cases), ignoring 4k. 

Error: 410

These days I don't even look at specs, they tell you nothing, just look at benchmarks. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/815

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Textures may not increase in size but the amount of textures certainly will.

That's dangerous because sometimes the gtx 780 ti crashes in some games (Far Cry 3, Crysis 3) due to the VRAM overload

Well you probably wouldn't know that from the spec sheet, you'd need to hear that from another source. 

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

lolno

Actually, looking at benchmarks, very few games used over 3GB, so actually 4GB of VRAM is an ideal amount at the moment. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

24GB when Titan zxtreme is released :P

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

24GB when Titan zxtreme is released :P

768bit bus it is then.

144Hz goodness

4GB is fine, the GPU power itself is lagging behind. Right now 2 290's or 2 6GB 780's are your best bet. 3GB is fine for 4K now, but probably not in the long term.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

• 2 months later...

The 780ti's seem to perform absolutely fine compared to the 290x's despite lower VRAM, so I don't see how 3GB VRAM is a limitation. A recent fix for Watch Dogs ultra textures for example, was released earlier that allows them to run on a 2GB card, and trying it myself with my 770 Lightning 2GB edition, Watch Dogs was running at a stable 45 to sometimes 50 FPS at 1080p Ultra.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/watch_dogs-stutter-fix-2-0-mod-lets-you-enjoy-ultra-textures-on-gpus-with-2gb-vram/