What do? PLEX streaming idea

So I have a small build where I keep my movies and tv shows that I ripped off my blu rays but I just have them placed in folders kinda organized.

There's no OS on it, i just run a ubuntu live cd that's in the tray  and just plug in my USB and transfer them to the drives.

Pretty stupid I haven't done anything about it by now.

Should I install windows 8 on it(win 8 because i have an extra copy) and install PLEX media server since I have the PLEX app purchased and based on this video couldn't I just use my iPhone as the remote/media browser and make it Airplay to my apple TV?

You know, to not have a crap load of wires all over the place.

My router is a ASUS RT-N56U, it's not AC but seems good enough for me.

Also the wireless card in the build is a 5GHz 300mbps wireless card.

Is my, idea, a good one?

TIA

The Syndicate

So I have a small build where I keep my movies and tv shows that I ripped off my blu rays but I just have them placed in folders kinda organized.

There's no OS on it, i just run a ubuntu live cd that's in the tray  and just plug in my USB and transfer them to the drives.

Pretty stupid I haven't done anything about it by now.

Should I install windows 8 on it(win 8 because i have an extra copy) and install PLEX media server since I have the PLEX app purchased and based on this video couldn't I just use my iPhone as the remote/media browser and make it Airplay to my apple TV?

You know, to not have a crap load of wires all over the place.

My router is a ASUS RT-N56U, it's not AC but seems good enough for me.

Also the wireless card in the build is a 5GHz 300mbps wireless card.

Is my, idea, a good one?

TIA

You could just install Plex on Ubuntu and solve all your streaming problem. Router should be good enough but check to see if you can use a ethernet cable. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

You could just install Plex on Ubuntu and solve all your streaming problem. Router should be good enough but check to see if you can use a ethernet cable. 

well like i said i want to keep it all wireless but it all seems so simple compared to what I had to do years ago.

The Syndicate

well like i said i want to keep it all wireless but it all seems so simple compared to what I had to do years ago.

You should be ok with dual band Wifi. I can stream 720p files to my Chromecast using Plex which is limited to only 2.4Ghz. The chromecast struggles with 1080p files though.

Interestingly using XBMC's DLNA server my TV can stream 1080p fully transparent Blu-ray encodes with DTS Audio (that's a bitrate of around 16mb/s) across the same 2.4Ghz single band Wifi connection.

You should be ok with dual band Wifi. I can stream 720p files to my Chromecast using Plex which is limited to only 2.4Ghz. The chromecast struggles with 1080p files though.

Interestingly using XBMC's DLNA server my TV can stream 1080p fully transparent Blu-ray encodes with DTS Audio (that's a bitrate of around 16mb/s) across the same 2.4Ghz single band Wifi connection.

Most likely a limitation in the processing power available to the Chromecast.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Most likely a limitation in the processing power available to the Chromecast.

I think you're right. I hadn't considered that, I just presumed the Chromecast's Wifi connection was lacking.

I prefer using my TV's inbuilt DLNA media centre, because it supports absolutely everything I throw at it. Including DTS audio. With XBMC's excellent 3rd party YATSE remote I can just throw stuff to my TV, similar to how Apple Airplay works. That's a major downside to Chromecast, lack of codec support.