Want better sound with my Razer Tiamat 7.1

Oggeen

We do respect your choice, its just a choice that we don't support or suggest to others because you can make better choices. 

i understand that there are better choices as my name implies there are always better choices.  do i wish i didnt have these tiamats and rather had some nice 10k audophile equipment, hell ya. but i was just trying to help from experience here. i have the same hardware and i was just trying to help him with what he has. i mean a sound card is a good upgrade that will help for many years to come ,he can always swap out to better headphones if he needs but maybe right now this is what he needs.and he can plug his new headset into a new soundcard and than all the issues will be resolved.   =]

i dont want to argue with anybody i did that in a previous thread and it came back to haunt me. i just wanted to share my opinion.

i again respect your choices in equipment but for what he has now i still think the most worthwhile investment might still be a soundcard. and yes a better headset wouldnt hurt i want a better one as well but for right now im happy spending my money elsewhere and im also happy with the grade of audio i have currently =]

thanks for all of your extra input from another perspective, i dont know  everything as i have said previously  and im always trying to learn more.

Stuff n Things

-snip-

Thing is that there are better options for $100 then the 7.1's, and soundcard IS NOT! an improvement with todays motherboards (As of the past four or five years) Not being a fan of redundancy, I suggest you go read the FAQ, where h264 covers most everything of importance. 

Thing is that there are better options for $100 then the 7.1's, and soundcard IS NOT! an improvement with todays motherboards (As of the past four or five years) Not being a fan of redundancy, I suggest you go read the FAQ, where h264 covers most everything of importance.

oh i know, i used to have an asrock x58 with onboard and it was TERRIBLE sounding so i did pick up a soundcard from X-FI and it did help , but yes you are right for sure recent MBs are are amazing if you have any decent one from the last couple of years it will sound pretty good. i now dont even have a sound card in my system because my onboard is better and your right it does depend on the MB. i will read that i never really have before so thanks ill check it out. and yes i do agree there are better options out there for sure! actually im kind of curious what do you think is better , like myself im looking into getting some new audio gear. i love my little control knob and i LOVE analog so if you wanna help me out as well for some more audiophile grade stuff im happy to listen. i also want to make sure it is a headset im not into the whole modmic idea. thanks again

i also would like to make use of my 7.1 and use full analog =]

what is a good option that has better freq. response because i believe the tiamats are 20-20 so they are pretty flat i have seen some like 14-30 which is obviously a much wider range of frequencies , also what do i look for in a good driver.

Stuff n Things

what is a good option that has better freq. response because i believe the tiamats are 20-20 so they are pretty flat i have seen some like 14-30 which is obviously a much wider range of frequencies , also what do i look for in a good driver.

The numbers listed for frequency response are kinda pointless because they don't list the amplitude at which those frequencies are produced or any of the frequencies in between. 

The numbers listed for frequency response are kinda pointless because they don't list the amplitude at which those frequencies are produced or any of the frequencies in between. 

good point, so what do i look for in a good driver, im not sure how a consumer like myself guages that sort of thing.

Stuff n Things

good point, so what do i look for in a good driver, im not sure how a consumer like myself guages that sort of thing.

To be utterly honestly, you don't, you go find a guitar shop, and you try them for yourself, or do what I like doing, and yolostrats-ing it and buying things you think you will like. I have $700 of headphones I've bought because I felt I would like them...but there is a method to the madness. I happen to like how Shures sound, so I figured I would like the SRH1540's too, and I do.

So I suggest you go try something, and if you like it, go find more headphones from those companies that you may like.

Thanks for the advice, would the Sennheiser HD558 improves it audio with a dac/amp?

not required, they're amazing by themselves.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

sennheiser g4me one vs sennheiser g4me zero vs sennheiser HD558 vs ath mx50?

any different in sound?

I'd rule out the closed back g4me zero and ath m50 because my preference is always open backed for fps gaming. 

between the senn 558 and g4me is your decision on aesthetics 

Didn't mean to stir things up furthermore, but logically, sometimes louder = better, provided the previous source don't have enough juice to drive the headphones to their true potentials. Logically it's like eavesdropping a conversation from behind a closed door. You could only hear words that are pronounced loud enough. Words that are not loud enough sounds like mumbles and muddy whispers, or just noises. If you turn the loudness up (i.e. put your ear to the door), the conversation gets so much clearer, and you could hear the lower volume words (in musics, maybe ambient instruments, hi-hats, cymbals, etc). Of course clearer = better. If it's already clear from the start, then I'd agree, louder isn't better.

But still, if this is the case, then the thing missing would be a proper headphone amp, something to pump up the extra juice to the headphone. I think most (if not all) onboard audios nowaday got proper juiced amp built-in. Or maybe just get a separate amp, like Fiios...

Mostly kinda right, but the thing is that machines can't make much of a difference between 320kpbs and anything higher. Which means that you can't either. 

I was having a hard time finding the mp3 artefacts and distortions on 128kbps compression, in the Philips golden ears challenge (let alone the 320kbps, or a bit lower)

I'm curious as to how much each of those 10 drivers cost them to manufacture, somewhere along the lines of £5-7~ each taking estimates from the difference in the 2 driver version. Sounds top notch if you ask me.

There may be 10 magnets, and 10 coils of wire, but there's only 2 membranes (ie, not 10 drivers), so I imagine it's not that expensive to produce.

1. yes they do you would be supprised.

a bottleneck is something that is basically holding the rest of your hardware back. in this case an onboard sound card versus a dedicated is in fact a bottleneck.

I'm 99% sure I wouldn't be surprised.

Audio quality isn't as straight forward as a stream of water like FPS performance of a PC is; you can't just add in components that perform "better" and get more audio quality. It is entirely possible to have a more "bottlenecked" audio setup which sounds better than a less "bottlenecked" audio setup.

1. yes they do you would be supprised.

a bottleneck is something that is basically holding the rest of your hardware back. in this case an onboard sound card versus a dedicated is in fact a bottleneck.

do you own one? no ok then. lets stop arguing and stop the personal attacks here. i own one and i am a very happy owner and it helps alot to h ave a dedicated sound card my headset used to be flat and plain then i got my baby it sounds better than anyother thing over 400$+

They are literally garbage. I used to own them before my G930's and my PC360. They are some of the worst I have ever heard above $50.

Yes with a sound card. I used to have a Xonar DG.

Emorarity answered, and yes, the specs alone can't be the point of reference of how good they are. Specs talk about quantity, not quality. My AD700 have frequency range of 5hz-30khz, while the audeze LCD2 'only' have 5hz-20khz. It's 10khz missing there, right? Well, the LCD2 is MILES better than my AD700. I know, I've tried the LCD2 myself. 

I think this also refers to what @ShearMe said. While quantity can be bottlenecked, I don't think quality can be bottlenecked. Of course 90% of people talking about audio would refer to quality instead of quantity. While there are people with golden ears, who are looking for quantity (like sound engineers/recording company, looking for a wide range of true frequency headphone), usually they don't want to compromise the quality in exchange to the quantity. That's why those recording companies headphones cost an arm and a leg....

While there are people with golden ears, who are looking for quantity (like sound engineers/recording company, looking for a wide range of true frequency headphone), usually they don't want to compromise the quality in exchange to the quantity. That's why those recording companies headphones cost an arm and a leg....

Most professionals don't use expensive headphones. Sure, maybe occasionally when testing a wide variety of headphones/speakers, but studio monitors are definitely not as pricey as "audiophile" gear. Whether or not that speaks to the quality of today's mastering houses.....  :rolleyes:

Emorarity answered, and yes, the specs alone can't be the point of reference of how good they are. Specs talk about quantity, not quality. My AD700 have frequency range of 5hz-30khz, while the audeze LCD2 'only' have 5hz-20khz. It's 10khz missing there, right? Well, the LCD2 is MILES better than my AD700. I know, I've tried the LCD2 myself. 

I think this also refers to what @ShearMe said. While quantity can be bottlenecked, I don't think quality can be bottlenecked. Of course 90% of people talking about audio would refer to quality instead of quantity. While there are people with golden ears, who are looking for quantity (like sound engineers/recording company, looking for a wide range of true frequency headphone), usually they don't want to compromise the quality in exchange to the quantity. That's why those recording companies headphones cost an arm and a leg....

i see your point , im going to look into some better options then , i mean i do like the quality of mine honestly and i like them better than anything ive tried ina  store IE: beats/sony/etc so i figured they were pretty good but all you guys seem to have a common understanding that sennheisers are better so heck ill look into getting a pair actually =] want to recommend some for the 300 $ range i want them to be analag and i wich i could have a mic with them but im guessing thats a no

Stuff n Things

Didn't mean to stir things up furthermore, but logically, sometimes louder = better, provided the previous source don't have enough juice to drive the headphones to their true potentials. Logically it's like eavesdropping a conversation from behind a closed door. You could only hear words that are pronounced loud enough. Words that are not loud enough sounds like mumbles and muddy whispers, or just noises. If you turn the loudness up (i.e. put your ear to the door), the conversation gets so much clearer, and you could hear the lower volume words (in musics, maybe ambient instruments, hi-hats, cymbals, etc). Of course clearer = better. If it's already clear from the start, then I'd agree, louder isn't better.

But still, if this is the case, then the thing missing would be a proper headphone amp, something to pump up the extra juice to the headphone. I think most (if not all) onboard audios nowaday got proper juiced amp built-in. Or maybe just get a separate amp, like Fiios...

I was having a hard time finding the mp3 artefacts and distortions on 128kbps compression, in the Philips golden ears challenge (let alone the 320kbps, or a bit lower)

how about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50RD-Pro-DJ-Headphones/dp/B00B0FR2QO/ref=zg_tr_172541_1/178-7115971-0377700

Stuff n Things

Most professionals don't use expensive headphones. Sure, maybe occasionally when testing a wide variety of headphones/speakers, but studio monitors are definitely not as pricey as "audiophile" gear. Whether or not that speaks to the quality of today's mastering houses.....  :rolleyes:

This fact actually tickles my brain. How do the producers produce songs with 'lesser' gear (headphone) than the consumers? I believe you, just honestly wondering how do they do that. Well, maybe with their mileage in the business, and their golden ears....:)

This fact actually tickles my brain. How do the producers produce songs with 'lesser' gear (headphone) than the consumers? I believe you, just honestly wondering how do they do that. Well, maybe with their mileage in the business, and their golden ears.... :)

on an interview Questlove from the roots said he would test all his tracks on the worst listening conditions available to him which is in his car driving around which got him pulled over once for being a person of color driving a good car. this method of producing music to the lowest common denominator is unfortunately par for the course for pop music

edit back to topic if you purchased a tiamat I assume its for gaming. get an open backed headphone like a senn 558 or an ath ad770x or without x

i see your point , im going to look into some better options then , i mean i do like the quality of mine honestly and i like them better than anything ive tried ina  store IE: beats/sony/etc so i figured they were pretty good but all you guys seem to have a common understanding that sennheisers are better so heck ill look into getting a pair actually =] want to recommend some for the 300 $ range i want them to be analag and i wich i could have a mic with them but im guessing thats a no

Well, I haven't tried enough Senns to say anything about them. The one I'm using now is the AD700 (in my avatar), and I used the TAD300 before. Both are quite good, for their level. My experience with the LCD2 made me realize that I'm just merely scratching at the tip of the iceberg here. There are a lot of higher levels, and I should keep an open mind.

I do understand your story though. When I used my TAD300, I like it so much that I was convinced there are not many that sound better. When I tried the LCD2, I experienced that moment, 'I was deaf, but now I hear....' The AD700 I'm using now is definitely better than the TAD300, but like I said ealier, MILES behind the LCD2. Of course implying there are a whole lot other types and brands in between, or even better than the LCD2.

The headphone guy (the guy that own an audiophile headphone shop that I visited :) ) said that roughly, at lower levels, you'd get 'better' or 'worse'. A is better than B, or C is worse than D. But at the higher levels, the differences are so small that it's not a question of 'better or worse' anymore, but rather 'which one suits you best?' :)

I'm not a fan of closed back headphones. Used to be, but now I definitely prefer open backs. The M50 I tried sounds rather good, but too much thumping bass and too closed room for me. The 'DJ' version would imply emphasis on the bass and lower mid range, because that's basically what DJs need in their work. I know, I used to be a DJ myself in the past. Nothing fancy, just some small parties, though :)

Best option is to find an audio/audiophile store that has various demo units, preferably a testing booth. Bring your razer to pit against their demo units. Plug your razer in to the same audio player or amp as their demo units, so you'd be sure the difference is all from the headphone (not file quality, DAC or amp quality, etc).

I think you'd find there are a lot of good headphones within the $100-$300 range :)

on an interview Questlove from the roots said he would test all his tracks on the worst listening conditions available to him which is in his car driving around which got him pulled over once for being a person of color driving a good car. this method of producing music to the lowest common denominator is unfortunately par for the course for pop music

edit back to topic if you purchased a tiamat I assume its for gaming. get an open backed headphone like a senn 558 or an ath ad770x or without x

Kinda make sense. 'If it sounds good on my "crappy" headphone, imagine how it will sound on your audiophile-oh-so-much-fun headphone....'  :lol:

Oh, and it's AD700, with or without x. Without x is the one in my avatar.