Is my new hard drive dead?

PoshBoyGames

I just bought a 3TB WD Black and installed it into my PC, and nothing appears, not even in computer management. I've tried installing it into new sata ports and using a new sata cable. I tried using a new PSU cable and still nothing. Is it borked?

I don't know what computer management is so forgive me if this is what you meant by that but did you do into disk manager and assign it a drive letter?

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Is the power hooked up properly? can you hear it spinning? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

probably not. Does it spool up, can you feel any vibration or any sign that it is recieving power and spinning? I had that same problem with a Seagate drive and was getting ready to RMA the thing, when I decided to google the problem first. Ended up being a registry issue and was fixed within a few minutes. Can't remember the exact fix for mine, but hard drives not showing up is a pretty common problem and I'm sure some googling will get you a fix. Unless, of course your drive is really dead, which I can't tell from here ;)

Edit, does it show up in your bios?

I don't know what computer management is so forgive me if this is what you meant by that but did you do into disk manager and assign it a drive letter?

Disk manager is integrated into computer management, so yeah. I can't see it in disk manager so I can't assign it a letter or create a volume.

probably not. Does it spool up, can you feel any vibration or any sign that it is recieving power and spinning? I had that same problem with a Seagate drive and was getting ready to RMA the thing, when I decided to google the problem first. Ended up being a registry issue and was fixed within a few minutes. Can't remember the exact fix for mine, but hard drives not showing up is a pretty common problem and I'm sure some googling will get you a fix. Unless, of course your drive is really dead, which I can't tell from here ;)

Edit, does it show up in your bios?

I can only access the outside of the hard drive and it feels hot

I can only access the outside of the hard drive and it feels hot

how hot? HDDs shouldn't really get more that "warm-to-the-touch", I believe most are specified to run at max. 50°C. Anyway, does the drive show up in your bios?

I just bought a 3TB WD Black and installed it into my PC, and nothing appears, not even in computer management. I've tried installing it into new sata ports and using a new sata cable. I tried using a new PSU cable and still nothing. Is it borked?

Most likely yes.

However, when you boot into your BIOS, is it detected there?

When you say nothing appears in Computer Management, you're specifically referring to the "Disk Management" utility inside Computer Management, right?

Have you tried it on another computer? Have you tried it using a SATA to USB adapter or inside a USB enclosure?

Lastly, have you tried using the Western Digital HDD diagnostics utility?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It could be that the sata port you're connecting to is disabled in the bios or just plain doesn't work. Have you looked in the bios and have you already tried a different sata port? Also, you should be able to feel some vibration on the enclosure of the drive or hear it spinning when it's properly connected and your pc is turned on.

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

Do you have an older motherboard as some can see drives over 2 TB.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

how hot? HDDs shouldn't really get more that "warm-to-the-touch", I believe most are specified to run at max. 50°C. Anyway, does the drive show up in your bios?

It doesn't appear in the bios, and I've taken it out of my case and it feels very hot

I have a Sabertooth z87 so no

He would have to have a REALLY OLD motherboard for that. I'm talking Windows 98/ME era, or Maybe Pentium 4. Anything Socket 775 and newer should easily be able to detect a 3TB HDD. The issue you may be thinking of was that Windows XP doesn't support volumes over 2TB natively (It's possible to do but with some trickery). The drive would still be detected and usable, but not the full size (Generally it would either detect a 2TB volume, or a 768GB volume).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It doesn't appear in the bios, and I've taken it out of my case and it feels very hot

I'm going to say it's flat out dead.

You've already tried:

1. Different SATA ports

2. Different SATA Power ports

3. Checked in BIOS - missing

4. Checked in Disk Management - missing

5. Feels very hot to the touch

Your drive is dead son. If you're within the exchange period for whatever store you bought it from, best to exchange for a new one. If not, contact WD and RMA that drive ASAP.

He would have to have a REALLY OLD motherboard for that. I'm talking Windows 98/ME era, or Maybe Pentium 4. Anything Socket 775 and newer should easily be able to detect a 3TB HDD. The issue you may be thinking of was that Windows XP doesn't support volumes over 2TB natively (It's possible to do but with some trickery). The drive would still be detected and usable, but not the full size (Generally it would either detect a 2TB volume, or a 768GB volume).

A lot of cheaper AM3 and LGA 775 motherboards couldn't see more than 2 TB.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

RMA it. Even if it isn't dead, it's not supposed to get any hotter than warm.