msata ssd for the mPCIe Combo II (ROG)

Californication

Hey, so i have the Maximus vi gene and i want to add an ssd for games only and i wanted to know if the msata mpcie would preform at the same speed as a normal ssd that uses sata3.  

if so can you recommend me which one i should get? im looking for arround 120gb and also an affordable one please.

thanks.

Plextor makes a M.2 SSD, IDK what site you can buy them from in Israel though.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I think mSata is 300MBps or Sata 2 speed. EDIT1: I see some say the can get 550+ Mbps so Sata 3.

Intel 525 mSata SSD 139$

Kingston 120GB mS200 is ~100$ And same speeds.

I hope those help. Both can do Sata 3 speeds, just search for those in the shops available to you.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

That one goes into the PCI slots, OP want's one that goes directly into the mSata port.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

i want one that goes into my mobo extention for msata this one is normal pcie. 

I think mSata is 300MBps or Sata 2 speed. EDIT1: I see some say the can get 550+ Mbps so Sata 3.

Intel 525 mSata SSD 139$

Kingston 120GB mS200 is ~100$ And same speeds.

I hope those help. Both can do Sata 3 speeds, just search for those in the shops available to you.

will the 525 fit in the msata? it seems longer than kingston's  

edit:  what about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-240GB-mSATA-Internal-CT240M500SSD3/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=pd_sim_pc_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NPHB92JGYXZKZPH7R9S

i just saw it and its in bigger size and not much higher in the price

That one goes into the PCI slots, OP want's one that goes directly into the mSata port.

It's an M.2 SSD in a PCI-E adapter you can buy the standalone M.2 drive.

i want one that goes into my mobo extention for msata this one is normal pcie. 

It's an M.2 slot not a msata or mpic-e.

will the 525 fit in the msata? it seems longer than kingston's

Well, i can't see why i wouldn't, why would Intel go on their way to and not follow the standards.

Also the kingston is better in my opinion, the Intel one is there because i found it faster.

edit:  what about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-240GB-mSATA-Internal-CT240M500SSD3/dp/B00BQ8RKT4/ref=pd_sim_pc_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NPHB92JGYXZKZPH7R9S

i just saw it and its in bigger size and not much higher in the price

Warranty and speed. Neither are shown (or im blind). Check from other sites to see the full specs before buying. If i am lucky with my memory now, that one may have only 130MBps write, while the kingston has ~550Mbps write. I saw that some of the cheaper options had the same capacity but write speeds were always much worse.

Spoiler

It's an M.2 SSD in a PCI-E adapter you can buy the standalone M.2 drive.

It's an M.2 slot not a msata or mpic-e.

So let me get this straight.

M.2 =/= mSata (seriously, correct me if i am wrong)

OP requested a mSata SSD.

Spoiler

Well, i can't see why i wouldn't, why would Intel go on their way to and not follow the standards.

Also the kingston is better in my opinion, the Intel one is there because i found it faster.

Warranty and speed. Neither are shown (or im blind). Check from other sites to see the full specs before buying. If i am lucky with my memory now, that one may have only 130MBps write, while the kingston has ~550Mbps write. I saw that some of the cheaper options had the same capacity but write speeds were always much worse.

the crucial one is 3 years warranty and 500MB/s Read, 250MB/s Write where im from and its like 20$ higher.  

the kingston's one thats 100$ priced is really 550mbps write? if so i just better off installing my os on it. i have an intel 530 ssd 180gb sata 3

So let me get this straight.

M.2 =/= mSata (seriously, correct me if i am wrong)

OP requested a mSata SSD.

mSata is simply a micro size Sata interface, mPCI-E is a single lane PCI-E slot @ x1 or x2 interface that shares the same physical interface as mSata but both are electronically different but some motherboard have both through a single port as a special chipset was involved and M.2 (the successor to mPCI-E) is a PCI-E interface that uses two PCI-E x2 lanes so you might be able to put a mPCI-e card in it if the motherboard supports it but for best compatibility I'd use a M.2 SSD.

the crucial one is 3 years warranty and 500MB/s Read, 250MB/s Write where im from and its like 20$ higher.  

the kingston's one thats 100$ priced is really 550mbps write? if so i just better off installing my os on it. i have an intel 530 ssd 180gb sata 3

It's actually just 520 on the kingston, my bad.

The fact that the write is only 250MB/s explains the price. 

Spoiler

mSata is simply a micro size Sata interface, mPCI-E is a single lane PCI-E slot @ x1 or x2 interface that shares the same physical interface as mSata but both are electronically different but some motherboard have both through a single port as a special chipset was involved and M.2 (the successor to mPCI-E) is a PCI-E interface that uses two PCI-E x2 lanes so you might be able to put a mPCI-e card in it if the motherboard supports it but for best compatibility I'd use a M.2 SSD.

Thanks, so basically there is no difference between a M.2 SSD and a mSata SSD because they have the same physical interface, you could have said that right off.

Spoiler

Thanks, so basically there is no difference between a M.2 SSD and a mSata SSD because they have the same physical interface, you could have said that right off.

mSata and M.2 are not compatible but mPCI-E and M.2 are compatible as long as the motherboard supports mPCI-E in the M.2 slot.

mSata and M.2 are not compatible but mPCI-E and M.2 are compatible as long as the motherboard supports mPCI-E in the M.2 slot.

And this is why i prefer straight answers, makes it easier for me to spot my own mistakes.

I somehow ignored the topic saying mPCI-e and just read it as "OP needs mSata SSD's"

Then tell me, would the mSata SSD's i considered work? (my guess is no)

Thanks for correcting me eventually, and f*ck you for not doing so fast enough. 

Ill just stop trying to help people for now, someone is going to end-up putting GPU's in RAID 5 if i give any more "advice" at this rate. 

Spoiler

Hey, so i have the Maximus vi gene and i want to add an ssd for games only and i wanted to know if the msata mpcie would preform at the same speed as a normal ssd that uses sata3.  

if so can you recommend me which one i should get? im looking for arround 120gb and also an affordable one please.

thanks.

It will not be noticeably different for most usage.

Here is one from Samsung.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking