A Call To Run Nodes.

Whether you support Bitcoin, any of it's many alts, or a multitude of coins there's one thing that's always needed. Nodes.

Consider running a full Bitcoin node to assist in processing, verifying, broadcasting and propagating transactions.

In the past 60 days the amount of reachable nodes has declined by roughly 15% https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/dashboard/chart/?days=60 There are many reasons for this to occur, but most blatantly in my opinion would be the growing reliance on hosted blockchain services.

Setting up a full node can be incredibly easy, simply forward a port (8333) and launch the Bitcoin QT client (renamed Bitcoin Core in latest updates).

In the help tab, select the debug window if you have more than 8 connections your node is working.  8 or less and your client is listening only and leeching off the network rather than contributing.

Check if your node can be reached here https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/ Near the bottom, you can enter your IP to see if your accepting incoming connections.

if you have never run the full Bitcoin client, consider downloading the bootstrap blockchain torrent, as it's much quicker to get started.

The bootstrap allows you to skip the potential days worth of syncing by downloading a majority of the blockchain all at once instead of one block at a time. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

One of the main concerns of running a node is the amount of Disk space it requires; Though everyone one here on a Tech forum I would assume has ample amounts of space on a NAS or internal storage.

The Bitcoin Blockchain is currently around 20 GB, less space than a couple modern games.

Another concern is bandwidth, while it can occasionally peak upload speeds.  There are many programs to limit are available such as http://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/

As for usage amounts, my upload rate peaks at around 150KB/s and an average 24 hour cycle uncapped uploads roughly 2.5 GB per day, about 25% of my theoretical max.

While this is focusing on Bitcoin, you can follow the same process of opening a port (port varies between coin) and running the full wallet client to host a node for your favorite coin.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I will do this, is there any way I can implement this to PHP or HTML to make my site run it as well (as its up 24/7)

I will do this, is there any way I can implement this to PHP or HTML to make my site run it as well (as its up 24/7)

I believe that it needs to be run with some processing power to back it up, so a simple web hosting service wouldn't cut it. It could be run on a VPS much like a Teamspeak server as these have an amount of physical processing power and RAM allocated to them, but I would like more information about this from someone with more knowledge than myself.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I believe that it needs to be run with some processing power to back it up, so a simple web hosting service wouldn't cut it. It could be run on a VPS much like a Teamspeak server as these have an amount of physical processing power and RAM allocated to them, but I would like more information about this from someone with more knowledge than myself.

Well, my web hosting is unlimited everything and can handle sending a server stress test, so I think I could run it

Well, my web hosting is unlimited everything and can handle sending a server stress test, so I think I could run it

But is it a web hosting package or a VPS package? If it is just a web hosting package then it won't be able to run an active program like the Bitcoind, however if it is a VPS then it will be able to run active processes such as game servers, Teamspeak servers and cryptocurrency nodes.

do you get anything for running a node? or do people just do it because its necessary for crypto? 

But is it a web hosting package or a VPS package? If it is just a web hosting package then it won't be able to run an active program like the Bitcoind, however if it is a VPS then it will be able to run active processes such as game servers, Teamspeak servers and cryptocurrency nodes.

I was talking like perhaps convert it into javascript or php and let it be a page on the index like bitcoinnode.php

do you get anything for running a node? or do people just do it because its necessary for crypto? 

You do it as it is nessesary

I'm not sure too sure about hosted solutions on VPS, or other servers. I run the Bitcoin client as a full node on a local windows machine, it may not be ideal but it works. You can give these couple posts a quick read through to see if it helps in setting up.

I don't think there are any PHP, or HTML based clients that are currently able to run a full node, but I could be mistaken.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131452.0 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1se3zd/how_to_create_a_full_bitcoin_node_in_a_5_ubuntu/

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I was talking like perhaps convert it into javascript or php and let it be a page on the index like bitcoinnode.php

"These instructions will successfully run bitcoind on a minimum of 512MB(memory) 20GB(disk) VPS" (Reddit)

You need to run the BitcoinD to host a node. This requires an amount of RAM and an amount of processing power, similar to having a wallet open. This means that it won't run on a web hosting package, but will will be able to run on a VPS.

This should be on the "non-techies" thread.

Unlimited ram? cool.

No. You can't host a node on your f*cking web server. 

Nodes have to download the blockchain (way over 10GB) and it has to run the bitcoind / bitcoin-qt client.

Hey.

This should be on the "non-techies" thread.

Unlimited ram? cool.

No. You can't host a node on your f*cking web server. 

Nodes have to download the blockchain (way over 10GB) and it has to run the bitcoind / bitcoin-qt client.

What I was wondering was, was there any way through PHP that I could, my question was answered. I don't think you read my final comment, it is the webhosting that is limiting me not the server itself. I can use up to 100 TB if I wanted so it being 10 GB or over would not matter. And please try to keep this forum nice, We don't need people like you screaming at people all over the place.