Need more memory - Expand or replace?

Go to solution Solved by Analog,

Took a page out of your book, thinking it might be useful to actually share my system specs somewhere (something like the signature rigs on overclock.net would be kind of useful here as well).

I fully intend to use this system for at least a few more years, and maintenance really shouldn't be a problem, so it should definitely be able to last me a good long while.

I'm still not 100% sure on the 32GB though, it's just so hard to try and predict whether the applications I use for work will end up requiring more than 16GB of RAM within a period of let's say 4 more years.

It seems somewhat unlikely though, and with the prices being as they are now, I guess I could always try to resell the 16GB set of RAM and get a 32GB set if that does end up happening before I switch to DDR4.

Thanks for all your help and feedback though, guys, with Analog and Nickolas in particular, you've really helped me come to a decision on this.

No problem, dude, that's why we are here for. :)

Hi guys,

I built my system in June last year, so roughly a year ago. Since then, what I require from it has changed quite a bit, using it more and more as a work PC first and a gaming pc second, and it's getting harder and harder to get by with the 8 gigs of ram I got for it back when I built it. After doing a quick check, though, I realized that Corsair no longer produces the exact type of memory that I originally put in.

The model number of the RAM currently in the system is CMD8GX3M2A2133C9, which runs at 2133MHz, with timings of 9-11-10-30 at 1.5V.

The closest I could find was CMD8GX3M2B2133C9, which seems to be the updated (though not upgraded) version of this SKU, also running at 2133MHz, but this time with timings of 9-11-11-31 at 1.65V.

Because of the difference in timings and voltage, I've been recommended to try and sell off my current memory, and try to find a new 16gb set to replace it with. If you guys think I should be able to pull off the difference in timings and voltage though, let me know!

So I went out to have a look at what memory I could get my hands on locally, and came up with these options:

First off, I'd like to say that if you have any other suggestions, please let me know!
If there's any good options out there that I missed, I'd be happy to see if I can get my hands on them over here.

As you can see, though, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

First of all, going with higher frequency RAM doesn't really increase the cost dramatically, but it does come with looser timings. Wether I'd benefit more from the tighter timings or the increased frequency, I'm really not sure. The software I'm using is proprietary, so as far as I know there's really no easy way to tell without a side-by-side comparison...

Secondly, I'm tempted to go for 32gb straight away, even if it probably doesn't get fully used with the way I'm using my system now, I just want to prevent being in the exact same situation X amount of time down the road, where I need more RAM capacity, but am unable to find the same SKU since they stopped making it. However, that does mean paying around double what 16gb would cost me, for something that may not be used (straight away).

CPU: i7-4770k [delidded, watercooled]  | RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator 2133MHz | MB: ASUS Maximus VI Formula | GPU: 2 reference GTX780's [watercooled] | SSD: Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: WD Black 4TB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D

You could change the timings of your current kit, but the voltage difference is going to be a problem.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This wont really help now but the new Kingston hyperX fury line revealed at pax looks cool and for me thats all i really care about aslong as it works. not sure when it comes out but its an option. 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

One thing to say ,go with the Corsair 16GB Kit ,More then enough

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

You can either try and buy a used RAM module with the exact same specifications as yours or look for an other with the same (or lower) speed however with the same voltage. If you buy a kit with a lower clock speed you will have to lower the speed of your current kit so that they can be bot the same. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The best choice is the 16gb kit but if you can afford why not, go to 32gb

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Thanks for all the comments so far, guys!

I've added in a poll, to get a better view on what people think would be the best option.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on comments though, to know why people think I should go with what they think is my best option here...

CPU: i7-4770k [delidded, watercooled]  | RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator 2133MHz | MB: ASUS Maximus VI Formula | GPU: 2 reference GTX780's [watercooled] | SSD: Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: WD Black 4TB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D

And if you are on Haswell isn't RAM voltage limited to 1.5V?

I am indeed on Haswell, but from everything I've read, Haswell runs 1.65V memory just fine.

I'd prefer sticking with 1.5V though, since that's the voltage they recommend in the official specs.

That still leaves the other question though, should I try and go for higher frequency or tighter timings?

The thing is, like I said, I don't really need the 32gb (yet), but I reaaaally don't want to be stuck in the same situation that I am now, where it's pretty much impossible to find the same type of memory to add to the system when I need it.

You can either try and buy a used RAM module with the exact same specifications as yours or look for an other with the same (or lower) speed however with the same voltage. If you buy a kit with a lower clock speed you will have to lower the speed of your current kit so that they can be bot the same. 

I've had a look around to see if I can find another set of this memory, but the only ones I've found were selling them for 199 eur, which is more than I paid in the first place, and which would easily get me a set of 2 8gb sticks instead.

You can also try and lowering the voltage of your current memory to 1.5V. There is a chance that it will work like that without any problems. I have personally done that to my Patriot Viper 4x4GB kit which was originally at 1.65V, 1600MHz and now I am running it at 1.5V, 1866MHz. This will give some other options. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The thing is, like I said, I don't really need the 32gb (yet), but I reaaaally don't want to be stuck in the same situation that I am now, where it's pretty much impossible to find the same type of memory to add to the system when I need it.

I've had a look around to see if I can find another set of this memory, but the only ones I've found were selling them for 199 eur, which is more than I paid in the first place, and which would easily get me a set of 2 8gb sticks instead.

With ddr4 around the corner you should propably wait and just get a 16gb kit by the time you will need an upgrade ddr4 will be out

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

With ddr4 around the corner you should propably wait and just get a 16gb kit by the time you will need an upgrade ddr4 will be out

DDR4 will be very pricey and filled with bugs. One should wait for some time before spending money on an upgrade. 

DDR4 will be very pricey and filled with bugs. One should wait for some time before spending money on an upgrade. 

how do you even now that it will be full of bugs as for the price when production stars it will reduce fast

how do you even now that it will be full of bugs as for the price when production stars it will reduce fast

Do you remember how DDR3 was after it was released after DDR2 and DDR2 after DDR... 

Do you remember how DDR3 was after it was released after DDR2 and DDR2 after DDR... 

to be honest no but was it so bad?

It really was, to be honest.

I got caught in the hype when DDR3 first came out, and got some straight away. Suffice to say, I won't be jumping on DDR4 straight away anymore.

Not in the least because I depend on my PC to run my business, and I can't afford any instability due to buggy memory...

So that's why I was thinking of maybe going 32gb straight away, seeing as I probably won't be upgrading my RAM anymore for the coming few years.

But then again, it does feel a bit silly to be paying up front for the extra capacity, seeing as I won't have a use for it straight away, if ever.

It really was, to be honest.

I got caught in the hype when DDR3 first came out, and got some straight away. Suffice to say, I won't be jumping on DDR4 straight away anymore.

Not in the least because I depend on my PC to run my business, and I can't afford any instability due to buggy memory...

So that's why I was thinking of maybe going 32gb straight away, seeing as I probably won't be upgrading my RAM anymore for the coming few years.

But then again, it does feel a bit silly to be paying up front for the extra capacity, seeing as I won't have a use for it straight away, if ever.

True, but if you have something like a i7 4770 or a 3930K that will be more than enough for a business computer during the next 2-3, maybe even 4 years. If you also keep up with the maintenance of the PC in general it will last you a long time. 

True, but if you have something like a i7 4770 or a 3930K that will be more than enough for a business computer during the next 2-3, maybe even 4 years. If you also keep up with the maintenance of the PC in general it will last you a long time. 

Took a page out of your book, thinking it might be useful to actually share my system specs somewhere (something like the signature rigs on overclock.net would be kind of useful here as well).

I fully intend to use this system for at least a few more years, and maintenance really shouldn't be a problem, so it should definitely be able to last me a good long while.

I'm still not 100% sure on the 32GB though, it's just so hard to try and predict whether the applications I use for work will end up requiring more than 16GB of RAM within a period of let's say 4 more years.

It seems somewhat unlikely though, and with the prices being as they are now, I guess I could always try to resell the 16GB set of RAM and get a 32GB set if that does end up happening before I switch to DDR4.

Thanks for all your help and feedback though, guys, with Analog and Nickolas in particular, you've really helped me come to a decision on this.

~$100 - $130 for an 8GB (4GB X 2) DDR3 1600MHz kit...when I jumped on the DDR3 boat.

This was in the time frame of about December 2010 to February 2011.

I personally didn't have a choice at the time...as I was going with a completely brand-new socket AM3 (Phenom II X6 1090T) and an ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX motherboard.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

No problem, dude, that's why we are here for. :)