Monitor Suggestion Under 500$...^_^

You can get this and save some bucks, its not the best for under 500$ but for its price is almost unbeatable, a no-brainer. 

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

will look at them... and i have a doubt... you told me that 27inch with 1080p is bad can u explain to me why????

You can get this save some bucks, its not the best for under 500$ but for its price is almost unbeatable, a no-brainer. 

well ok i will look at them...

also i heard abt g-sync monitors... what are they exactly? and whats the use of them??

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

will look at them... and i have a doubt... you told me that 27inch with 1080p is bad can u explain to me why????

well ok i will look at them...

also i heard abt g-sync monitors... what are they exactly? and whats the use of them??

Ohh sorry, I forgot to put the link. Ohh my god I am so stupid, I edited my original post but here it is also https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor . I am so sorry...

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Ohh sorry, I forgot to put the link. Ohh my god I am so stupid, I edited my original post but here it is also https://www.massdrop.com/buy/monoprice-monitor . I am so sorry...

ahh its ok dont worry abt it.... ^_^

Current Spec: Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme; Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k; PSU: Corsair AX1200; Cooler: Corsair H100; Ram: 2x 8Gb  Gskill Ripjawsx; Cabinet: Cooler Master Cosmos II; HDD: 1x 1Tb Samsung, 1x 3Tb WD Caviar Green, 1x 1Tb WD Caviar Blue, 2Tb WD Caviar Green; SSD: 1x 250Gb Samsung 840 Series; Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 780, Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti; Monitor: Asus PA248Q, 16 Inch Random Samsung Monitor(For Multipurpose) Mouse: Razer Naga; Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Dragon Age II Edition

Ohh well guys... im kinda in a slump right now... cant event decide what to do... T_T

it wasnt that hard when i built my PC from Scratch had some doubts with Graphics and other stuff but thanks to people here it cleared out...

but this has been the toughest decision i had to make... i couldnt make a decision....

which will be good for me 27 inch or 24 inch?? or 1080p or 1440p??? which brand to go? which model is good...?? totally out of ideas...

these kinda questions keep on popping up on my head.... but i decided on one thing though to get a good ips or other better color reproducing panel which is good for gaming too...

and i do many document writing and editing so i need the huge space of 27inch monitors... cuz the current one i use is 16inch and it makes everything so cramped..

other than that... nothing... lol

can someone shed some light on me.. and save me from this slump...hehe

I use the 27 inch korean IPS monitor (QNIX). They use quality samsung panels so trust me they last a long time. The color reproduction is amazing, and unless you are in a room with a lot of light I would suggest it for any type of picture editing. The 24 inch are okay but for 1440p they are too little, I suggest you go 1080p and 24 inches or 1440p 27 inches. If you need the extra features the ASUS monitors bring then I would suggest them but for most people the korean monitors should be fine. 

If you are concerned about the shipping on the korean monitors, they ship with DHL express which only takes like 4 days to get from Korea to the US. 

Hey... 

sorry been busy with the new graphics card a few days.. and its awesome... well anyways now i have decided something else....

im not going to buy a 27inch monitor instead im going for a 24inch 1080p or 1200p..... my budget is same as before $500...

so can you guys suggest me some good monitors..

Thanks..^_^

Guys will this be good? 

Asus PA248Q

but it has 6ms response time... will tat bother gaming??

this is the monitor im currently using "samsung syncmaster b1930"

will the asus one be better than this?

Edited by syaoran7li

Guys will this be good? 

Asus PA248Q

but it has 6ms response time... will tat bother gaming??

this is the monitor im currently using "samsung syncmaster b1930"

will the asus one be better than this?

I dont really like 16:10, it feel kinda weird for me. 16:9 is the minimum. that 6ms response time is slower than your own monitor 1ms, but the different isnt that noticable, so the bigger ASUS may may you feel better compare to your 18.5 inch monitor anyway

So for 16:9,  this one look slick, 5ms response time, IPS panel and I whooping 27" in size may be a good choice (1080p though, since the cheapest 16:9 1440p is ~ 500USD though) http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vx279q

And when I said that 16:9 is the minimum for me, I mean that the ratio shouldnt grow in height without growing in length, so I actually prefer stuff like 21:9, such as these 2:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx299q

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb298q

if you are fine with 16:10 though, that one is a good monitor.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I dont really like 16:10, it feel kinda weird for me. 16:9 is the minimum. that 6ms response time is slower than your own monitor 1ms, but the different isnt that noticable, so the bigger ASUS may may you feel better compare to your 18.5 inch monitor anyway

So for 16:9,  this one look slick, 5ms response time, IPS panel and I whooping 27" in size may be a good choice (1080p though, since the cheapest 16:9 1440p is ~ 500USD though) http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vx279q

And when I said that 16:9 is the minimum for me, I mean that the ratio shouldnt grow in height without growing in length, so I actually prefer stuff like 21:9, such as these 2:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-mx299q

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb298q

if you are fine with 16:10 though, that one is a good monitor.

thanks for the reply....

im not so clear abt the aspect ration thing.. so if u tell me to go for 16:9 i will go for it... :)

the model you suggested "Asus VX279Q" will it be good for gaming too?

also the connections available does it support dvi? and does it come with a DVI cable?

the other 2 monitors are a bit high for me to afford...

thanks for the reply....

im not so clear abt the aspect ration thing.. so if u tell me to go for 16:9 i will go for it... :)

the model you suggested "Asus VX279Q" will it be good for gaming too?

also the connections available does it support dvi? and does it come with a DVI cable?

the other 2 monitors are a bit high for me to afford...

Well they are still within 500 USD isnt it :P but once you go to that level you will never be able to go back to smaller monitor xD

Anyway, the Asus VX279Q is a good monitor with IPS panel, it does not support DVI, it have VGA, HDMI and Display Port. (It have a build in speaker too), usually monitors should have come will all connect-able cable (I suppose... the last time I actually buy one was way too long ago)

As for is it good for gaming... well... yes and no. For monitor there's 2 main kind of panel: IPS (which this VX279Q have) or TN, IPS have better viewing angle and color reproduction compare to TN, but TN have faster response time (usually 1ms) and refresh rate. But to be able to enjoy that better refresh rate (which is good for gaming), you will have to pay more, or you have to sacrifice some aspect. For example this one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe is about the same price with the VX279Q, with 144Hz refresh rate, DVI, 1ms response time, but only 24 inch and no IPS meaning the color is not as good as the VX279Q. (I usually choose this one for a gaming build that need monitor). The cheapest 27inch monitor with 120Hz refresh rate, DVI, 2ms response time is this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-ethh4hp001 at 300$ So it's up to you whether you want better color reproduction of the IPS panel or the higher refresh rate of the TN. For me personally I like better refresh rate of the TN, but I know quite a few people in this forum prefer color reproduction of the IPS even when they choose the monitor for gaming, reason being both of those things (120Hz+ refresh rate and color reproduction) isnt all that noticeable. (Unless you are like Linus)

As for the aspect ratio, 16:9 is the normal standard nowaday, which mean the width of the monitor divided to the height = 16:9 (for example the standard 1080p have the resolution of 1920 x 1080, take 1920/1080 you will get 16:9) so 16:10 mean that the height of the monitor become higher when the width stay the same, which let you have that 1920x1200 resolution. Just imagine that the monitor infront of you (which is 16:9), divide the height by 9 and add it to your monitor height (so you have 10), that's how your monitor should look like in 16:10. Some people like it like that, I dont (I prefer it wider than higher), it's the matter of preference as well so again, up to you.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Well they are still within 500 USD isnt it :P but once you go to that level you will never be able to go back to smaller monitor xD

Anyway, the Asus VX279Q is a good monitor with IPS panel, it does not support DVI, it have VGA, HDMI and Display Port. (It have a build in speaker too), usually monitors should have come will all connect-able cable (I suppose... the last time I actually buy one was way too long ago)

As for is it good for gaming... well... yes and no. For monitor there's 2 main kind of panel: IPS (which this VX279Q have) or TN, IPS have better viewing angle and color reproduction compare to TN, but TN have faster response time (usually 1ms) and refresh rate. But to be able to enjoy that better refresh rate (which is good for gaming), you will have to pay more, or you have to sacrifice some aspect. For example this one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe is about the same price with the VX279Q, with 144Hz refresh rate, DVI, 1ms response time, but only 24 inch and no IPS meaning the color is not as good as the VX279Q. (I usually choose this one for a gaming build that need monitor). The cheapest 27inch monitor with 120Hz refresh rate, DVI, 2ms response time is this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-ethh4hp001 at 300$ So it's up to you whether you want better color reproduction of the IPS panel or the higher refresh rate of the TN. For me personally I like better refresh rate of the TN, but I know quite a few people in this forum prefer color reproduction of the IPS even when they choose the monitor for gaming, reason being both of those things (120Hz+ refresh rate and color reproduction) isnt all that noticeable. (Unless you are like Linus)

As for the aspect ratio, 16:9 is the normal standard nowaday, which mean the width of the monitor divided to the height = 16:9 (for example the standard 1080p have the resolution of 1920 x 1080, take 1920/1080 you will get 16:9) so 16:10 mean that the height of the monitor become higher when the width stay the same, which let you have that 1920x1200 resolution. Just imagine that the monitor infront of you (which is 16:9), divide the height by 9 and add it to your monitor height (so you have 10), that's how your monitor should look like in 16:10. Some people like it like that, I dont (I prefer it wider than higher), it's the matter of preference as well so again, up to you.

Well ya... but im from india and when i convert it to my money it goes higher..... sorry should have mentioned earlier...

oh well... asking me to decide.. im soo sooo bad at that... well actually my case is this i do lot of gaming and some video and photo editing so i need good color reproduction and also for gaming it shouldnt affect.... or even atleast if its waaay better than my current monitor then i will go for it no matter wat....

and thanks for explaining abt the aspect ratio think.. now i understand it... thanks... 

Well ya... but im from india and when i convert it to my money it goes higher..... sorry should have mentioned earlier...

oh well... asking me to decide.. im soo sooo bad at that... well actually my case is this i do lot of gaming and some video and photo editing so i need good color reproduction and also for gaming it shouldnt affect.... or even atleast if its waaay better than my current monitor then i will go for it no matter wat....

and thanks for explaining abt the aspect ratio think.. now i understand it... thanks...

Whatever you choose it's going to be WAYYYYY better than your current one. Using a 780 on a 1366 x 768 resolution monitor is a joke... so if you do photo editing alot and need the color reproduction aspect of the IPS, then by all mean go with the IPS one. As I said, the refresh rate and color reproduction isnt all that noticable unless you are working on the field, so go with the one better suit what you are doing.

BTW you are from India so that monitor I suggest (the IPS Asus PA248Q) maynot available in your country. If it available then go with it, if it's not here's a little guide to choose the monitor for you:

What's the resolution of the monitor? (Should be at least 1920x1080 for 16:9 or 1920x1200 for 16:10)

What's the size of the monitor (Should be >= 23 inch at least IMO)

Is it an IPS panel monitor? (Usually if it have there will be an IPS logo or something say that it have IPS on the box like in this box http://www.nix66.ru/images/photo/t/g/u/lcd_asus_169109_2248_draft_large.jpg )

What's the available connection for that monitor? (DVI, HDMI, Display port etc)

So as long as it satisfied all condition above you can buy that monitor.

Whatever you choose it's going to be WAYYYYY better than your current one. Using a 780 on a 1366 x 768 resolution monitor is a joke... so if you do photo editing alot and need the color reproduction aspect of the IPS, then by all mean go with the IPS one. As I said, the refresh rate and color reproduction isnt all that noticable unless you are working on the field, so go with the one better suit what you are doing.

BTW you are from India so that monitor I suggest (the IPS Asus PA248Q) maynot available in your country. If it available then go with it, if it's not here's a little guide to choose the monitor for you:

What's the resolution of the monitor? (Should be at least 1920x1080 for 16:9 or 1920x1200 for 16:10)

What's the size of the monitor (Should be >= 23 inch at least IMO)

Is it an IPS panel monitor? (Usually if it have there will be an IPS logo or something say that it have IPS on the box like in this box http://www.nix66.ru/images/photo/t/g/u/lcd_asus_169109_2248_draft_large.jpg )

What's the available connection for that monitor? (DVI, HDMI, Display port etc)

So as long as it satisfied all condition above you can buy that monitor.

ohh well.. i went ahead and searched and found some monitors...

can you say which r all good and which are bad...

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=301164423589&ASUS-VS278Q-P-Black-27-1ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monitor

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=190754175151&Fast-Ship-Asus-PA248Q-24-1-24-Widescreen-6ms-80000000-1-Monitor-Black-Retail

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=291132555119&ASUS-VX279Q-Black-27-5ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monitor-AH-IPS

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=190752346045&Asus-VG27AH-27-inch-Widescreen-5ms-80000000-1-VGA-DVI-HDMI-LED-LCD-Monitor-w-

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=291132551399&ASUS-MX279H-Silver-Black-27-5ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monit

also let me know if there is any good monitor from anyother brand also... 

i can buy it off ebay so no problem....

ohh well.. i went ahead and searched and found some monitors...

can you say which r all good and which are bad...

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=301164423589&ASUS-VS278Q-P-Black-27-1ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monitor

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=190754175151&Fast-Ship-Asus-PA248Q-24-1-24-Widescreen-6ms-80000000-1-Monitor-Black-Retail

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=291132555119&ASUS-VX279Q-Black-27-5ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monitor-AH-IPS

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=190752346045&Asus-VG27AH-27-inch-Widescreen-5ms-80000000-1-VGA-DVI-HDMI-LED-LCD-Monitor-w-

http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=291132551399&ASUS-MX279H-Silver-Black-27-5ms-GTG-HDMI-Widescreen-LED-Backlight-LCD-Monit

also let me know if there is any good monitor from anyother brand also... 

i can buy it off ebay so no problem....

The first one is a no no... 27ms response time...

The second one is good for 16:10 ratio, it dont have a built in speaker but you wont be using that anyway since you ask for DVI at first right? the build in speaker only work if you use HDMI if I remember correctly

3rd is the Asus PA248Q I suggest isnt it

5th is pretty much the same as the 3rd, with different color (silver)

4th have a 3D glasses and mode (I doubt anyone will use this anyway...) and DVI port, other is pretty much the same as the 3rd. The port isnt all that important since your 780 support everything except VGA. But this one have the same price with 3rd and 5th so if you want the 3D stuff just for the LOL then why not?

As for other brand, for monitor as far as I consider I only trust ASUS, LG, Samsung and Sony (because I only have experience with them to begin with)

The first one is a no no... 27ms response time...

The second one is good for 16:10 ratio, it dont have a built in speaker but you wont be using that anyway since you ask for DVI at first right? the build in speaker only work if you use HDMI if I remember correctly

3rd is the Asus PA248Q I suggest isnt it

5th is pretty much the same as the 3rd, with different color (silver)

4th have a 3D glasses and mode (I doubt anyone will use this anyway...) and DVI port, other is pretty much the same as the 3rd. The port isnt all that important since your 780 support everything except VGA. But this one have the same price with 3rd and 5th so if you want the 3D stuff just for the LOL then why not?

As for other brand, for monitor as far as I consider I only trust ASUS, LG, Samsung and Sony (because I only have experience with them to begin with)

well the first one i think they mistyped it.... if you scroll down below to the sellers content section there the response time is given as 1ms(GTG).....

hmmm ya 2nd is 16:10 and also costly.....

3rd is the one you suggested ASUS VX279Q....

4th ya i wont be using 3d and also i dont like 3d... but its written everywhere as its a gaming monitor with IPS panel... tats y selected it....

5th one... oh so its same as the 3rd one... ok...

well ok then.... 

out of these 5 which all will you suggest....??

ASUS VS278Q-P, Asus PA248Q, ASUS VX279Q, Asus VG27AH, ASUS MX279H.....

well the first one i think they mistyped it.... if you scroll down below to the sellers content section there the response time is given as 1ms(GTG).....

hmmm ya 2nd is 16:10 and also costly.....

3rd is the one you suggested ASUS VX279Q....

4th ya i wont be using 3d and also i dont like 3d... but its written everywhere as its a gaming monitor with IPS panel... tats y selected it....

5th one... oh so its same as the 3rd one... ok...

well ok then.... 

out of these 5 which all will you suggest....??

ASUS VS278Q-P, Asus PA248Q, ASUS VX279Q, Asus VG27AH, ASUS MX279H.....

The ASUS VX279Q ~ It's the one I suggest initially. I think when I copy paste the name around to look in to details I must have copy the wrong one when I reply to you on the previous post :P sorry.

The ASUS VX279Q ~ It's the one I suggest initially. I think when I copy paste the name around to look in to details I must have copy the wrong one when I reply to you on the previous post :P sorry.

Ohh okay thanks.. will look into it.. and will let you know when i buy one... thank you sooo much..  :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone.. just came back to tell you guys that i finally ught Monitor and its Asus PA248Q..... and it sooo big and sooo beautiful... colours r sooooo good... playing games in it is like reality.... thank u so much guys for helping me decide and suggesting me... thanks u sooooo much.. ^_^

Asus PB278Q, my friend. Have fun with that beast of a monitor!

-Hippeminecraft