Good headphones for ~150€

gigi1237

Hello guys, :)

I am looking for a good set of headphones to replace my Tritton AX720 that broke.

I will be using them primarily for gaming so I would like them to have a good soundstage. I have heard that the ATH-AD700x have ecellent positional sound since they have very pronounced mids, but they also don't provide a very "cinematic" experience. Is that true? I would also like them to sound quite good

since I will also use them to watch movies and listen to music (rarely  :P ) . My budget is around 150-200€.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

CPU: i5-3490k @ 4.0Ghz | CPU & GPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop |  Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1866Mhz | Graphics Card: ASUS R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TBx2 + 240GB Plextor M6e | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 | Monitor: 2 Random 21" TVs

Custom One Pro's maybe I've got them and they are really good, however I don't have anything to compare them to.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

logitech g403

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

logitech g403

he is asking for headphones not a gaming headset, and for that price i would get the HD558 or the HD 598

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

he is asking for headphones not a gaming headset, and for that price i would get the HD558 or the HD 598

Do you know if they are comfortable?

They look very uncomfortable to me.

CPU: i5-3490k @ 4.0Ghz | CPU & GPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop |  Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 | Ram: Corsair Vengeance 12GB 1866Mhz | Graphics Card: ASUS R9 290

HDD: Seagate 1TBx2 + 240GB Plextor M6e | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 | Monitor: 2 Random 21" TVs

Do you know if they are comfortable?

They look very uncomfortable to me.

i have the HD518 and they are very comfortable

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

i have the HD518 and they are very comfortable

Velour for life mate.

You are on the right track with ad700x. I have the as700s which are the model before the ad700x. They are apparently slightly better quality but they're essentially the same. They are fantastic headphones for music and games. The only issue is that they aren't bass heavy by any stretch but in saying that the bass is still very nice. My music style (proper 60s/70s rock n roll, not metal) may suit that better. In saying that some rap with a decent beat (NWA express yourself) sounds fantastic. The bass is clear but not pounding. The HD558s are somewhat similar but I believe they have slightly better pop off the bass. Trippy music sounds amazing due to the massive soundstage. Any Pink Floyd or The Doors where music is fading in and out through the different speakers just really shows off the soundstage. As far as comfort, the headband on the AudioTechnica's are very light. You can barely notice it but I suppose you wouldn't want a small head (Linus size etc) but it stays on pretty well as long as you don't go jumping around the place. I debated over the 558s and the ad700s and chose the ad700s for the slightly lower price. I am in no way regret getting these headphones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000CMS0XU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397864832&sr=8-2&keywords=ad700

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

P.S. I was just watching the live strem. What headphones does Luke use? Beyerdynamic custom one pros?

P.S. I was just watching the live strem. What headphones does Luke use? Beyerdynamic custom one pros?

Yes they are. Go for the DT line if you are not going to be using it for mobile though. Also, to your question about the Sennheiser comfort, as long as your head isn't huge, it is comfortable. 

Thanks for all you guys' suggestions, I decided to go for the AD-700x they seemed like the best choice for me.