Can I use a laptop hard drive in a desktop PC?

MeNameBePotato

Can I?I have a 2.5" laptop hard drive from which I have to pull some data off.Both my 3.5" hard drive and the 2.5" use the same, SATA interface, but is there a difference in how much power each of them will pull and, basically, can I use it that way?Appreciate your help.

It will work just fine :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

There will be no issue with hooking it up.  It will use less power than a 3.5" drive, but the PSU will only supply what is ask for. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Yeah, it should work fine. The only things you may need are the power cables and a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. I think HDDs only like to work one way, unlike SSDs, which can be posted even upside down.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Absolutely!

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

I think HDDs only like to work one way, unlike SSDs, which can be posted even upside down.

That is not right. A HDD will post upside down, sideways, backwards, or even hanging by the sata cable (not advisable). The only real way they won't work is falling or after being dropped or opened.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

That is not right. A HDD will post upside down, sideways, backwards, or even hanging by the sata cable (not advisable). The only real way they won't work is falling or after being dropped or opened.

I'm pretty sure you ain't right. I thought the read heads might sag a little. I heard this from other members.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm pretty sure you ain't right. I thought the read heads might sag a little. I heard this from other members.

I guess my computer must be special then. Running a 2.5" 250GB drive mounted sideways in the drive bays in my 750d and a 3TB Seagate 3.5" upside down for well over 3 months and it is still fully functional. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I guess my computer must be special then. Running a 2.5" 250GB drive mounted sideways in the drive bays in my 750d and a 3TB Seagate 3.5" upside down for well over 3 months and it is still fully functional. 

Yeah, and also, if you still use screws for your hard drives, it may not fit due to screw configurations.

Yeah, and also, if you still use screws for your hard drives, it may not fit due to screw configurations.

That would depend on the caddy more than the HDD. Most times if you install the HDD onto the caddy the right way, you can still mount the caddy to the case upside down if needed (for instance if the mounting space interferes with the SATA cable clearance).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

That would depend on the caddy more than the HDD. Most times if you install the HDD onto the caddy the right way, you can still mount the caddy to the case upside down if needed (for instance if the mounting space interferes with the SATA cable clearance).

Still, I was talking about the screws on the side, not the bottom.

Still, I was talking about the screws on the side, not the bottom.

It works either way. the screws on the bottom won't fit inverted either (as the top of the hdd is in contact with the caddy, not the bottom).  Without looking, I am pretty sure the side screw locations are not centered (they definitely aren't on the 2.5" drives) so you will still have only 2 ways to mount it in the caddy (back to front and inversely front to back). 

Either way you bolt it down, the caddy should mount either way (up or inverted), and the drive will function for extended periods of time in either mounting configuration.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

HDD can work in any position as long as you secure it. Read heads stay in a very specific position so they wouldn't touch the platter unless you move working HDD.

unless you move working HDD.

I would question that part of your statement. Do you specifically mean move it in such a way that it introduces shock to the hdd?  Because if not, it is not right as it would mean you could not move a laptop without powering it down (which would defeat the purpose).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I would question that part of your statement. Do you specifically mean move it in such a way that it introduces shock to the hdd?  Because if not, it is not right as it would mean you could not move a laptop without powering it down (which would defeat the purpose).

Probably vigorously shaking it.

Probably vigorously shaking it.

That is unintelligent even with a nonpowered HDD.  However, he specifically said move the hdd, which does not sound right.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, I mean more like shock or any unnecessary vibration can potentially damage the platters or read heads.

I am walking around my house with working laptop in my hands and didn't do any damage. But be nice to HDD, they are fragile.

Yeah, I mean more like shock or any unnecessary vibration can potentially damage the platters or read heads.

I am walking around my house with working laptop in my hands and didn't do any damage. But be nice to HDD, they are fragile.

I know a laptop can be used in motion, I do that all the time.   Just the way you stated it originally made it sound as if you thought that hdds in motion were damaged, which is not right. You have to introduce massive shock while the drive is powered most times to cause any major damage.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I know a laptop can be used in motion, I do that all the time.   Just the way you stated it originally made it sound as if you thought that hdds in motion were damaged, which is not right. You have to introduce massive shock while the drive is powered most times to cause any major damage.

I know few truck drivers who used to use laptops as navigation and all of them had problems with HDDs it is possible from a vibration in the truck or just a hole on the road.

But I didn't mean gentle movement :)

I know few truck drivers who used to use laptops as navigation and all of them had problems with HDDs it is possible from a vibration in the truck or just a hole on the road.

I think the main issue there is using the wrong tool for the job... A Garmin would be much better and cheaper than the replacement harddrive.  

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think the main issue there is using the wrong tool for the job... A Garmin would be much better and cheaper than the replacement harddrive.  

Yeah, but they like playing games and watching movies every 8 hours, so for a long time there was no alternative, except for last few years when tablet PCs got cheap and they have built in GPS.

Yeah, but they like playing games and watching movies every 8 hours, so for a long time there was no alternative, except for last few years when tablet PCs got cheap and they have built in GPS.

Not to disagree, but there was an alternative. 

For movies, you have mobile DVD players, and before that there were inverters that could be used to plug in a VCR.  For games you have the gameboy and its offspring, the DS and its replpacements, and the PSP, as well as the PS2 and all the Atari and Nintendo consoles that could also be used with an inverter.  I will give that you would have issues with HDD's going out with the PS3, PS4, XB360 and XB1 though.  SSD would solve that, or properly packing the laptop while driving (still need a Garmin type device for navigation).

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler