Is my pump or PSU faulty?

Go to solution Solved by XxKINGxX40,

OK, so temperatures definitely aren't the problem here. Since you do have power to your peripherals, I'd say that narrows the problem down to either your PSU or your GPU. You could try different GPU drivers, see if that chenges anything. Otherwise I'd have to say that you're problem is hardware-related. Try using the GPU in another system, if possible. Also, if possible, try running your system with a different PSU.

It wasn't the GPU or the Pump or the PSU. It was the waterblock. It wasn't making good contact. I have 2 770s so I bought 2 waterblocks. I used the other one on this 770, and it works.

Hey guys. I recently installed a custom water loop cooling my CPU and GPU. On normal usage, everything is fine, but when the GPU is under load, the monitor goes black, and the mouse and keyboard don't get power. The lights of the mobo are still on, but to get the PC back to normal, I have to hold the power button on the case. Before, when my GPU was on air cooling, everything was fine. And now, the temps are better, so I don't know what's wrong. I tested the RAM already, and it's working. And with GPU-Z, I monitored the temperatures right before the black screen. The temps reached around 60° C at most. Which is nowhere near the max temperature. Anyone have ideas? My pump is the EK DCP 2.2 (I know when I bought it I didn't know it was meant for only 1 waterblock). So, I am thinking it's either the PSU or the pump. I'm leaning towards the pump because I just bought my PSU on November, and it's a pretty good quality PSU. And also, when I installed the pump, I installed it the wrong way (inlet and outlets) so there was the GRRRR sound for a few seconds. What do you guys think?

My PC's Specs:

Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Formula

CPU: i7 4770K

GPU: GTX 770

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz

PSU: Corsair RM850

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

That's a 6.5W pump that is rated at 0.65 amps max. and you're getting relatively good temps (although 60°C seems almost a little high for a watercooled card). I doubt that the pump would cause any issues, unless maybe if you connect it to a motherboard header. How about the GPU waterblock itself? Did you install all the thermal pads correctly, when you mounted it? Are you able to see your VRM temps, maybe even Vram temps in GPU-Z under the "sensors" tab? 

Another thing you should do is remove any existing overclocks and see if the problem persists.

That's a 6.5W pump that is rated at 0.65 amps max. and you're getting relatively good temps (although 60°C seems almost a little high for a watercooled card). I doubt that the pump would cause any issues, unless maybe if you connect it to a motherboard header. How about the GPU waterblock itself? Did you install all the thermal pads correctly, when you mounted it? Are you able to see your VRM temps, maybe even Vram temps in GPU-Z under the "sensors" tab? 

Another thing you should do is remove any existing overclocks and see if the problem persists.

Hmm. No, there is no VRM temps in GPU-Z.  

2qlvnmb.jpg

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

Hmm. No, there is no VRM temps in GPU-Z. 

Hmm. Many cards won't show VRM temps in GPU-Z so that's no big surprise.. try HWmonitor. If that doesn't work, it's likely that your card doesn't have sensors. In which case the only way to know the VRM temps is with a temp gun. You could take the water block off and re-mont it, just to make sure the  pads are on correctly. Even if it is the VRMs though, that wouldn't explain power being cut from your mouse and keyboard, that sounds like the real issue might be the motherboard.

With AIDA64, I see VRM 1 2 and 3 temps. (idle)

2enbwc8.jpg

OK. So I ran Titanfall, but Alt Tabbed to AIDA64. The temp on VRM1 got to highest 41°. VRM2: 38° VRM3 34°. And the GPU highest was 46° As soon as I alt tabbed to Titanfall, the monitor turned off. And my mistake, the mouse and keyboard do still get power.

I reseated the GPU waterblock. All the thermal pads make contact. And still the same problem.

OK. So I ran Titanfall, but Alt Tabbed to AIDA64. The temp on VRM1 got to highest 41°. VRM2: 38° VRM3 34°. And the GPU highest was 46° As soon as I alt tabbed to Titanfall, the monitor turned off. And my mistake, the mouse and keyboard do still get power.

OK, so temperatures definitely aren't the problem here. Since you do have power to your peripherals, I'd say that narrows the problem down to either your PSU or your GPU. You could try different GPU drivers, see if that chenges anything. Otherwise I'd have to say that you're problem is hardware-related. Try using the GPU in another system, if possible. Also, if possible, try running your system with a different PSU.

It wasn't the GPU or the Pump or the PSU. It was the waterblock. It wasn't making good contact. I have 2 770s so I bought 2 waterblocks. I used the other one on this 770, and it works.

great! good to hear.