Highest density NAS? (number of drives per dollar)

MrPsych

I'm gonna be buying a NAS in the coming weeks and I want to know which NAS's in particular are very cost-efficient in terms of expandability.

I'd prefer to buy from either ncix, newegg, or amazon and umm I need it to support raid6 or at least raid5 and support at least 5 drives?

Budget is somewhat not an issue, but I prefer to have as many drives/dollar as possible

I'm looking at this NAS, but I'm not quite sure

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS1813/dp/B00CRB53CU/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844112&sr=8-26&keywords=network+attached+storage

If you have the ability to do it: Build one yourself. You can save loads of money. I've build a NAS in a Fractal Node 304 (potentially 6 Drives) for 400€ including 2 3TB drives. The software setup really isn't difficult and performance often is even better than prebuilt.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Synology is good - also QNAP is excellent. 

You also have your DIY options, like unraid or freenas...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Why not build one yourself? It's cheaper, and you can do it to your own specifications.

Plus, you can buy separate NAS parts sold by the brands that make them, including Synology, to assist you in the build.

For example, look into FreeNAS.

Or, would you just rather say screw it and not care as much about the money? Because this would change things.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I'm gonna be buying a NAS in the coming weeks and I want to know which NAS's in particular are very cost-efficient in terms of expandability.

I'd prefer to buy from either ncix, newegg, or amazon and umm I need it to support raid6 or at least raid5 and support at least 5 drives?

Budget is somewhat not an issue, but I prefer to have as many drives/dollar as possible

I'm looking at this NAS, but I'm not quite sure

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS1813/dp/B00CRB53CU/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1397844112&sr=8-26&keywords=network+attached+storage

Synology is excellent, and you won't have to deal with hardware issues thanks to customer support, which is one of the downsides of building a NAS yourself.

Prebuilt NASes tend to be more expandable while also maintaining density; if you build your own, your case will be the same size regardless of the number of drives. With Synology expandable units you can add expansion bays as you need them, saving you space in the short term.

If you only need a few drives (i.e. not dozens), then either a prebuilt or a DIY will work well, though you can get more performance out of a DIY than (most) prebuilt solutions.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I say build one yourself, its the route I went and am very happy with it. Also, if you do, look into openmediavault. Its a free OS that works great imo. The problem with Freenas, its really meant for an actual server. I did a lot of research into it and to be honest, freenas likes ECC RAM and fun stuff like that because the filesystem it uses ZFS. This also means to get anywhere near decent performance, you need 1 gig of RAM per TB of disc space. And that is a serious specification. I talked to people with a 12 TB system with 8 gigs of RAM and it was slow as crap. Upped it to 16 gigs and it maxed their gigabit lan. So if you plan on having 20TB of storage space, you will need 20 gigs of RAM+. Thus openmediavault (OMV) is a good option, it is just a normal journal file system that doesn't depend on RAM like ZFS. OMV has software RAID 5 and 6, and can support just about any controller as well if you want to use a RAID card to set up a true RAID 6. I run software RAID6 (RAID Z2) on 8x3TB drives for 2 years now, and its going great!

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Is this dense enough and cheap enough?

http://www.u-nas.com/product/nsc800.html

Ref: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114421-u-nas-chassis/

Shout out for @f22luke who found it.

Here's some mobo options I like : http://www.asrockrack.com/general/products.asp#Server  (click Intel and mini-ITX to narrow it down)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.