Will Fitting a Soundcard Reduce my CPU Load?

GuruMeditationError
Go to solution Solved by GuruMeditationError,

yes, but by a tiny amount, and i dont think it should be done for that reason

not really. maybe 1%. sound really does not require that much processing power to play. 

Technically yes, but nothing noticable

So no chance of it hobbling the CPU's turbo feature and not much improvement otherwise?

Then I'll probably stick with the on-board sound.

Thanks, :0)

Not sure which to pick as the best answer.  :wacko:

I don't think it'd even help.... If anything it'd make it worse, sense your CPU would still be telling it what to do essentially?

Just a little. Not worth it.

I've got an AMD FX-9370, 8-core 4.3GHz processor (4.7GHz at maximum turbo) in a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX motherboard.

I've got two Gigabyte GTX 580 SOCs that I'm going to run in SLI in the top and bottom PCIe slots (PCIe x16 (top) & PCIe x8 (bottom)) so that they're far apart enough for me to cool and over-clock effectively.

I want to run a PCIe x1 soundcard in the second PCIe x16 slot with the intention of taking the sound processing load off of the CPU. Is this worth doing? Will it take load off of the CPU or is that processing handled somewhere else on-board?

Also, will putting the sound card between the two SLI graphics cards reduce the performance of the graphics cards?

The processor I have has a turbo feature where if there are enough cores free to handle the extra processing it can boosts to a maximum speed of 4.7GHz . I'm thinking that in addition to taking load off of the CPU, in certain situations a soundcard might take enough load off of the CPU to enable the CPU to boost to 4.7GHz. Is this correct and is it worth adding a sound card either way (i.e. weather it'll help with turbo mode or if all it will do is reduce the CPU load? 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

not really. maybe 1%. sound really does not require that much processing power to play. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

So no chance of it hobbling the CPU's turbo feature and not much improvement otherwise?

Not sure which to pick as the best answer. :wacko:

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I don't think it'd even help.... If anything it'd make it worse, sense your CPU would still be telling it what to do essentially?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No, sound chips don't do any processing. If anything it'd increase your CPU load because soundcard drivers are bloated piles of junk.

Not sure which to pick as the best answer. :wacko:

the first one is always best *wink wink nudge nudge* 

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

the first one is always best *wink wink nudge nudge* 

Lols. I'm now actually tempted to make that one ^ the best answer  :P:D

Can I select my own? I'll quote them all and select that as the best one.  ;)

Not sure which to pick as the best answer.  :wacko:

Lols. I'm now actually tempted to make that one ^ the best answer  :P:D

Can I select my own? I'll quote them all and select that as the best one.  ;)

i dont think you can

-edit, i suppose im wrong

i dont think you can

-edit, i suppose im wrong

It seems that as long as you're the O.P. you can select "Mark Solved" when viewing the thread.

Edit: Looking at it again it seems you can select multiple posts as a "Mark Solved" post.