The Most Memory Hungry Internet Browser

Geekazoid

Chrome is dog poo I have 4 tabs open right now:

Facebook, Twitter, Youtube (With 20 min video loaded), Linus Tech Forum

Chrome is using 965,620 KB ffs, WITH ONLY 4 TABS.

If I close the video, the total goes to 742,352 KB which is PATHETIC

I do have a fairly powerful rig with 8GB RAM but with 1/8th being used on a f**king web browser and 32% including windows total it's stupid.

On my Mac it's MUCH MUCH worse. Something like 1.5 GB with ONE new tab window (same extensions)!

People think they have it bad with Chrome, Chrome is nothing compared to Safari.  Safari will eat all of your memory.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Fix your title OP!

The Most Memory Hungry Internet Browser

no S needed.

Freaking Chrome eats RAM up just loading a blank page.

Better?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Better?

Yeah :D

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I think Opera is running off the same base (Chromium) as Chrome is, so...

I don't think it is, and even if it did, try it for yourself. It consumes the least memory out of Firefox, Chrome and itself. And according to various sources in speedtests, is the fastest by quite a length. :P Opera is the future baby

Yeah :D

Good! :D

i stopped using chrome because its memory usage was too high, firefox is slightly better but idk by how much better.

flash player is what seems to be a real resource hog for me.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

i stopped using chrome because its memory usage was too high, firefox is slightly better but idk by how much better.

flash player is what seems to be a real resource hog for me.

get opera

People think they have it bad with Chrome, Chrome is nothing compared to Safari.  Safari will eat all of your memory.

Safari for me is not bad at all. If chrome didn't look so good and work so well with extensions I would ditch it in a heartbeat

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

Safari for me is not bad at all. If chrome didn't look so good and work so well with extensions I would ditch it in a heartbeat

Funny, I have the completely opposite viewpoint. If Safari didn't look so good and work so well when syncing devices with bookmarks and open tabs if ditch it in a heartbeat.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Edit:  THIS IS A JOKE! DON'T YOU DOWNLOAD IT IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

No worries guys, I have the solution right here: http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Just download some more ram :P

Or not... ;)

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Hi guys,

As the title indicates, I'm curious as to what internet browsers you think are the most memory/RAM hungry.

I would personally award this title to......*drum roll*.......Google Chrome.

This hasn't stopped me from using it though. :D

Chrome uses 200-300mb with one tab for me... sooooo yeah

Just to point out why chrome uses "so much" RAM.

Each tab is ran as a separate process to protect your other tabs, so if one crashes or something goes wrong, only that tab will crash, the rest is protect.

Personally, I'd take the extra RAM usage over losing all my stuff if a tab crashes (*cough* IE *cough*)

Internet Explorer has had a multi-process architecture since 2008 with IE8.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/07/28/ie8-and-reliability.aspx

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I just downloaded 4GB, did you just give me a virus?

Hope not :(

I think it's just to like prank people who do not know that you cannot download ram. Since well, ram is a hardware and not a software... I don't think it's a virus. I found out about this site from another topic on this forum and they didn't seem to have any issues with it. (cannot find it now though...)

I hope I didn't cause any issues for you but I've tried the site myself just for fun and to see what it did and it didn't do anything to my system... That was a while ago though..

I thought people understood that it was a joke and that you couldn't really download ram...

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

Hope not :(

I think it's just to like prank people who do not know that you cannot download ram. Since well, ram is a hardware and not a software... I don't think it's a virus. I found out about this site from another topic on this forum and they didn't seem to have any issues with it. (cannot find it now though...)

I hope I didn't cause any issues for you but I've tried the site myself just for fun and to see what it did and it didn't do anything to my system... That was a while ago though..

I thought people understood that it was a joke and that you couldn't really download ram...

Hmm...I thought you could download CPUs, GPUs, HDD and RAM :(. I'm quite disappointed about this. :(

:P :lol:

I call Safari - Both with this thread open I get 125 MB from Safari and 85MB from Chrome

It looks as thought safari splits things like chrome, but Safari does it a bit more sensibly: With only the Forum open I get these:
Chrome is using 285.4MB Total
Safari is using 282.8 MB Total
So Close!

post-37908-0-47051500-1398077309.png

post-37908-0-13380900-1398077310.png

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013