Problems formatting hard drives which were previously in RAID 0

xJeffzz
Go to solution Solved by roberto++,

If you can see the array within the RAID BIOS, you will be able to delete the existing volume and recreate each drive as independent drives, aka JBOD.

A slow method would be to use DBAN on each drive, single pass is enough.

I'm currently having problems with formatting my hard drives, that was previously in a RAID 0 setup. The RAID 0 hard drives was from an old pre-built system, and now I'm trying to transfer them to my new system as two separate hard drives.

When I connected the hard drives into the new system, the controller found the RAID, but it was very buggy as the drives kept disconnecting, and generally not working. I tried using 'Diskpart' and, it detected the 1TB (500gbX2) and tried formatting it, realising it was just formatting the RAID, not separating them. I also went to the BIOS, and disabled RAID (Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z5S) but the computer wouldn't boot (Windows is on a separate SSD). With this, I tried plugging in one Hard drive at a time, but Windows couldn't detect anything so I couldn't 'Diskpart' and 'clean' it, however the BIOS did detect the single Hard drive plugged in.

Is there a way/solution to format the Hard drives, and un-RAID them, making them back to two 'normal' hard drives?

Thanks!
Jeff

I'm currently having problems with formatting my hard drives, that was previously in a RAID 0 setup. The RAID 0 hard drives was from an old pre-built system, and now I'm trying to transfer them to my new system as two separate hard drives.

When I connected the hard drives into the new system, the controller found the RAID, but it was very buggy as the drives kept disconnecting, and generally not working. I tried using 'Diskpart' and, it detected the 1TB (500gbX2) and tried formatting it, realising it was just formatting the RAID, not separating them. I also went to the BIOS, and disabled RAID (Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z5S) but the computer wouldn't boot (Windows is on a separate SSD). With this, I tried plugging in one Hard drive at a time, but Windows couldn't detect anything so I couldn't 'Diskpart' and 'clean' it, however the BIOS did detect the single Hard drive plugged in.

Is there a way/solution to format the Hard drives, and un-RAID them, making them back to two 'normal' hard drives?

Thanks!

Jeff

If you can see the array within the RAID BIOS, you will be able to delete the existing volume and recreate each drive as independent drives, aka JBOD.

Thanks!
Jeff

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

Sorry for the late reply, I had work and other stuff in the way. At the end, I did use DBAN, and it wiped everything but took ages to wipe, but its well worth the wait. The disk was working normally again!! Yay!

Thank you very much roberto!