Ultimate Hackintosh Workstation Build Guide

I'm interested in an iswitch as well. Was thinking of building one myself. Would love to see what your opinion is on the os. 

Try the tools on tonymacx86. Way better. Like seriously, they have everything you need <3

Why use stolen work when you can do it properly? 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme - GTX 780 - Intel Core I7 3970X @4.5GHz LGA 2011 - 64 GB DDR3 @2133 Corsair Vengeance Series - Mavericks
Hackintosh and DSDT Blog - Rampage Dev

@LinusTech iSwitched to OSX?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Please Linus, for the love of god, try to make a sort of iSwitched with the hackintosh.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

How can I do this if I already have a Z87 Sabertooth 1150 board with a Windows 8.1 install, but I have a another HDD that I could install OSX onto?

I read somewhere that you need to do BIOS flashing to get a UEFI board to work properly? Its all a little confusing for me, I'd rather not BIOS flash and screw things up in trying to get a proper dual-booted system

How do you optain an OSX license? Can you buy it, or do you need to pirate it?

OS X 10.9 Mavericks is free. So you really can't buy it.

Why use stolen work when you can do it properly? 

Because it's much easier for the average user. Also this "tony stole our stuff, but honestly we don't really care that much to get him to remove it" gets old ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

@LinusTech i would LOVE to see a 30 day iSwithed to OSX , it would be really interesting to see how ''Noob'' proof the OSX is. 

Interested in Business and Technology

OS X 10.9 Mavericks is free. So you really can't buy it.

Because it's much easier for the average user. Also this "tony stole our stuff, but honestly we don't really care that much to get him to remove it" gets old ...

Developers send Take Down Notices all the time. So if someone at work took a project you worked on and claimed it was his own and got a raise and a bonus at work you would be ok with that? Think about it. 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme - GTX 780 - Intel Core I7 3970X @4.5GHz LGA 2011 - 64 GB DDR3 @2133 Corsair Vengeance Series - Mavericks

Sorry I had to dislike because while this may be half the price it does not have as fast of gpu performance because two d500 also known as firepro version of r9 280x have much faster Opencl performance which is needed for professionals that would buy a mac pro. Also your ram is not ecc which is crucial if you are doing work that if you lost it you could lose your job or client which would be terrible. Also the ssd does matter while you wont be storing your work on ssd when you are working on it it well be on the ssd so that performance matter plus a sata ssd is much slower then the mac pros ssd by a few hundred megabytes a second. Also a Xeon 6 core and not a 4930k is required for ecc memory. So anyway people that purchase mac pros buy them because they need them and they well pay off quickly such as a filmmaker who after 1 movie could easily pay off how much a mac pro costs. {edited to mean sata not esata}

Developers send Take Down Notices all the time. So if someone at work took a project you worked on and claimed it was his own and got a raise and a bonus at work you would be ok with that? Think about it. 

If they would have any legal basis, this wouldn't be a problem at all, but those "developers" just very often hack stuff together "inspired" by various other sources.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Sorry I had to dislike because while this may be half the price it does not have as fast of gpu performance because two d500 also known as firepro version of r9 280x have much faster Opencl performance which is needed for professionals that would buy a mac pro. Also your ram is not ecc which is crucial if you are doing work that if you lost it you could lose your job or client which would be terrible. Also the ssd does matter while you wont be storing your work on ssd when you are working on it it well be on the ssd so that performance matter plus a esata ssd is much slower then the mac pros ssd by a few hundred megabytes a second. Also a Xeon 6 core and not a 4930k is required for ecc memory. So anyway people that purchase mac pros buy them because they need them and they well pay off quickly such as a filmmaker who after 1 movie could easily pay off how much a mac pro costs.

Let me introduce you to CUDA for rendering:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home_new.html

And even better the new CUDA 6:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7515/nvidia-announces-cuda-6-unified-memory-for-cuda

If they would have any legal basis, this wouldn't be a problem at all, but those "developers" just very often hack stuff together "inspired" by various other sources.

They do have Legal Basis. I guess you just enjoy stealing other peoples work. You should try that at work. 

At ~$3k for this build, what MacBook Pro machine is it directly compared to? As in how much are you actually saving?

Just wanted to drop in and say you don't need a Mac to create the bootdrive. You can do the entire process inside of an OSX virtual machine.

@LinusTech

Why not use the tools from tonymacx86? Way easier, way better.

MyHack is the easiest way to do it and MUCH, MUCH better than tonymac's crap.

Just wanted to drop in and say you don't need a Mac to create the bootdrive. You can do the entire process inside of an OSX virtual machine.

Not that much better. Plus tonymac has a huge community so you got good support.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

saying another process is crap is a bit sensationalist... That kind of attitude doesn't fit in with this community.

Now if you can give reason why it's better that's one thing. But calling something crap is a bit childish.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

where in the world did the "x79 DSDT' on the desktop come from? Did it get created when extracting x79 dsdt.dmg? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This is super cool and I would love to do it, but I have really big question as to weather this is legal? I know it violates apple end user agreements and I'm pretty sure violating those is illegal?! 

And response or clarification would be great!

I disagree with Linus's choice of graphics card, an AMD card would have been perfect for an Hackintosh due to its OpenCL performance hence why the MacPro uses an AMD FirePro GPU.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Just tried this with my system but I don't know how to get the overclock to stick in the OS. Geekbench 3 and Cinebench results are much lower than they should be, falling short of a 4770K in the Cinebench R11.5 benchmark. I'm guessing you have to create & install some DSDT thing and I have no idea how.

§ ragedev.net §

The guide is O.K. but not what I was expecting after so many teasing in other videos. I've used tonymacx86's site until now, didn't knew about Rampage Dev.

I'm using a Hackintosh at home for about two years now and real Macs at work and home much longer. I have to say that a Hackintosh can be a bless, once you get it installed and running. Especially the fact that you can throw in stuff (SSD's / RAM etc) how you feel like, is very comfortable. The dark side is that, once a update breaks your installation or the compatibility changes with a new version, it can be a lot of work in terms of researching and stuff to get it back working.

On the topic about the performance vs. a real Mac Pro is: It doesn't matter. Really it doesn't. The people that really need the power of a Mac Pro for their work will never ever use a hackintosh with update russian roulette for their driving horse in the office. If they do, then they're not really depending on it or are simply stupid.

My reason for a hackintosh is simply to have decent hardware with upgrade flexibility and an Unixoid system with nice UI. That's it. But, for the next upgrade I will switch to a real Mac again, just because it "just works" and has enough power for my needs.

have a question.

my sister has a brand new mac with osx

theres no way i could download it could i for this hackintosh

DREAM BUILD

I7 4770k,Corsair 900D,Asus Maximus Formula VI,16 GB Corsair VENGEANCE,2 TB WD Black,780ti,Ax760I,Cooler Master Glacer