PLS or IPS?

OneGun

Guys i need to upgrade my 27in 1080p TN panel with a 1440p panel.Any thing you guys can recommend?I will be using for gaming.My budget is $700.Thank you

PLS is a sub-set of IPS panel.

Under the IPS umbrella, if you will, you have

-> H-IPS

-> AH-IPS

-> P-IPS

-> E-IPS

-> eIPS

-> S-IPS

-> PLS

among a few others that are not produced anymore.

Except for the eIPS panel, all the above are essentially the same. Every manufacture does their own iteration of IPS panel, and all have a 5-10% up on something and down on something else. It's generally not noticeable to the eye. It's just to avoid patent disputes. PLS is Samsung version of the IPS panel. Because they want it to stand apart, marketing wise, they called it something different, but in reality it's the same.

eIPS is different than the other IPS panels as it's full name suggests: economy IPS, is targeted at offering IPS panels on those on the budget. These are 6-bit panel, much like TN panels. So colors, while still better than TN and MVA panels, it's not as good as other more expensive IPS panel technologies. But the price, makes it very interesting. They are eIPS panel, competing against med-low range TN panels, which is a bit crazy. It kinda says: "why even get a TN panel", especially if you are not a hardcore FPS player and on budget.

My recommendation is the Dell U2713HM, providing excellent value for your money.

Solid build quality, uses LG AH-IPS panel, true 8-bit panel, you have DisplayPort, VGA, and DVI as inputs. And it comes with a pre-color calibrated at manufacture, profile: sRGB, with report. This is amazingly great if you don't have any of those costly color calibrators, and you get amazing colors out of the box (well out of box, and you go on the monitor menu, and select sRGB color profile).

Let Linus answer that for you.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

Yes, but they are IPS panels that are better than PLS on what it's suppose to be better at.

I don't think Linus ever experience an IPS panel that isn't an eIPS panel.

Generally speaking PLS is better , of course there are some exceptions.

Interested in Business and Technology

So if i just want to use it for gaming then what monitor is good between $700-$800?

PLS and IPS are basically one and the same thing. IPS is LG's tech while PLS is Samsung's. IPS came first and Samsung made PLS so they didn't have to pay LG for the rights to make them.

I have been reading that the U2713HM has the worst input lag out of the 27inch monitors.

I have been reading that the U2713HM has the worst input lag out of the 27inch monitors.

No, the U2711 is worse. I play on worse input lag monitor, and I can tell you, I just can't see it, even if I try my best to see it.

People make a big deal out of nothing.

You can even ask this forum: http://forums.bit-tech.net/, where they are a big number of gamer using the U2711, who has no problem with games, even FPS, and loves it.

These are like the cheap Korean monitor from eBay, just slapped Monoprice name on it.

As the description says, these are "A-" panels. In other words, Lg didn't certify them due to some issue, and goes at the bin, and you have these cheap Korean company (more like group of a few people forming a "company") who buys them, put it on an ultra cheap generic enclosure that they made or get, and sale it to you. These monitors don't have any on screen menu, all you have is a bunch of buttons, which non of them works, beside brightness up and down, which you switch between 5 to 8 (depending on the model) brightness level, with no on screen indicator. These panels are directly connected to DVI with no regulator circuit or anything, which can lead to graphic card compatibility issue. If the monitor has multiple inputs, it uses a basic input switch circuit.

The monitor is also completely glossy with no treatment what's so ever. Based on people comment, and pictures, it is more reflective than Apple displays, due the lack of any treatment done on the monitor panel. Moreover, the dead and bright/stuck pixel policy is filled with conditions to not cover you. Of course, the build quality is virtually non existent with this price. And the stand is non adjustable.

The good news, is that you get your hands on a pro grade or high-consumer end grade monitor for the cheap. I guess you can say, you get what you payed for. It will be lottery too. Yuo may get a panel where a fault is not visible to the naked eye, or has some that reported online, the monitor is not working out the box (either due to graphic card compatibility due to lack of regulator circuit, or simply broken), and others, with some issues, like: you can see the back light on black on some pixels, sharpness is uneven on some pixels or area due to mall formed grid, and other issue. But it seams that most don't have issues.

If you really need this resolution, and really can't afford anything else, then go ahead.

It says it has a anti glare coating. It says it's A1 rating not A minus. And it is suppose to have all the inputs. I know which models you are talking about as monoprice makes a bunch just like that. This is there newest model using a LG panel. It says no dead pixels light bleed or any screen issues due to being a A1 rating. I was just wondering cause I live 30 min from where they ship them..

I'm gonna call them and ask about return policy and monitor condition. They have a year warranty so I might try one. I will let you guys know. Thank for the help guys.

Ok guys i am about to pull the trigger on this.It is guaranteed to have zero flaws as in light bleed dead pixels or anything.I just talked to customer service there and i can have it tomorrow if i order in next 2 hours.Shipping is only $8 lol.It has a antiglare coating and is a LG panel.I can return it up to 30days.If i just don't like it then i pay for shipping back,If it is defective they pay for shipping.What should i do?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2#description

Well, if you don't care about the extra features of the more expensive monitors, and you are fine with non-adjustable stand, then I don't see why not.

While I don't know, I highly doubt shipping will pass 100$ or even 50$, so I don't see why not. It looks like the monitor fits your needs.

It would be nice to have a 2560x1440 monitor, without fancy color processors and all that fancy stuff, making it a bit more affordable.

Already, the U2713HM did this.. (as before it was U2713H type of prices) but still too high. While the U2713HM get you great colors, it would be nice to have one, without being focused on. Like the U2412HM which brought 16:10 24inch monitors at an affordable price.

If you do decide to get it, I would love if you do, the best you can, some sort a in depth review.I know you don't have the equipment to check stuff like color accuracy, and you come from a TN panel, but the best you can. You can take a good picture outside, and put it on your monitor, does it look the same as in reality? Like is green, green. Is it cartoun'ish green? Does it have yellow in the mix? etc. Well I don't know what I just said will be visible to you. I always got fancy monitors, even back in the CRT days, so I guess maybe I have an eye for. Anyway, if you can't, that's ok.

Let us know!

Well, if you don't care about the extra features of the more expensive monitors, and you are fine with non-adjustable stand, then I don't see why not.

While I don't know, I highly doubt shipping will pass 100$ or even 50$, so I don't see why not. It looks like the monitor fits your needs.

It would be nice to have a 2560x1440 monitor, without fancy color processors and all that fancy stuff, making it a bit more affordable.

Already, the U2713HM did this.. (as before it was U2713H type of prices) but still too high. While the U2713HM get you great colors, it would be nice to have one, without being focused on. Like the U2412HM which brought 16:10 24inch monitors at an affordable price.

If you do decide to get it, I would love if you do, the best you can, some sort a in depth review.I know you don't have the equipment to check stuff like color accuracy, and you come from a TN panel, but the best you can. You can take a good picture outside, and put it on your monitor, does it look the same as in reality? Like is green, green. Is it cartoun'ish green? Does it have yellow in the mix? etc. Well I don't know what I just said will be visible to you. I always got fancy monitors, even back in the CRT days, so I guess maybe I have an eye for. Anyway, if you can't, that's ok.

Let us know!

I will do as best review as i can.And where they ship from is only 25miles from my house so overnight shipping cost me $8 lol.So most i will lose if i don't like it and have to pay to ship it back is around $20.I figured it is worth the shot.And if i want the Asus or Dell i would have to wait 2 weeks till i got paid again anyways cause i was like $250 short..So it worked out perfect.I will do a review for the forum once i get it..

So if i just want to use it for gaming then what monitor is good between $700-$800?

I bought the Asus PB278Q PLS 1440p monitor. Whenever I am playing fast paced first person shooter (like CoD) I switch back to my crappy 22" 1080p TN panel monitor. I find the Asus is really bad for lag. I cannot see any lag but I can feel it through the mouse if that makes sense. I just miss so many more shots and generally do a lot worse when I use the Asus. 

Something to be aware of. I don't think its is the Asus monitor alone either. I think its all high res, PLS/IPS monitors that do it. That's just me though. Others may disagree. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I will do as best review as i can.And where they ship from is only 25miles from my house so overnight shipping cost me $8 lol.So most i will lose if i don't like it and have to pay to ship it back is around $20.I figured it is worth the shot.And if i want the Asus or Dell i would have to wait 2 weeks till i got paid again anyways cause i was like $250 short..So it worked out perfect.I will do a review for the forum once i get it..

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Remember be subjective, if you can. Every monitor has it's set of downsides.

I bought the Asus PB278Q PLS 1440p monitor. Whenever I am playing fast paced first person shooter (like CoD) I switch back to my crappy 22" 1080p TN panel monitor. I find the Asus is really bad for lag. I cannot see any lag but I can feel it through the mouse if that makes sense. I just miss so many more shots and generally do a lot worse when I use the Asus. 

Something to be aware of. I don't think its is the Asus monitor alone either. I think its all high res, PLS/IPS monitors that do it. That's just me though. Others may disagree.

That is correct. That is why I recommend TN panels for hardcore and competitive FPS players. Before it used to be response time and input lag, now while both got significantly fster (especially response time where it's on par with most TN panels), input lag is still an issue. Right now, it's just a question of faster chips, which is becoming a reality already, for example, TFTCentral, has measures the Dell U2312HM IPS panels, with an input lag of only 0.6ms (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm)

Other reviews sites also measures a sub <5ms, which is extremely competitive against gaming grade LCD monitors.

So it's starting.

I am a monitor perfectionist so I will definitely let you guys know every single thing that is wrong with it. It should be here within 7 hours. I am excited as this will be the highest res monitor I will have ever used..

• 5 years later...

I am confused between these tow, both are of same price at staples ~ 150 CAD

1. LG 22MK400H-B 22-inch HD LCD IPS Gaming Monitor with AMD FreeSync Technology, 1920 x 1080, 75Hz, 1000:1, 5ms

2. Samsung LS24F350 23.5" FHD PLS Monitor with AMD FreeSync Technology, 1920 x 1080, 60Hz, 4ms