Your opinion on 4GB vs 8GB of RAM

Hey guys just wanted to know your opinion of 4GB of RAM compared to 8GB of RAM, more specifically for gaming but also just overall PC performance. Currently I've got 4GB of RAM and whilst playing games like BF4 I'm using 3.9GB. Just wondering if anybody has gone from 4GB to 8GB and seen an increase in performance.

Update

======================================================================

Just an update for anyone viewing this post for their own use I got an 8GB kit of Corsair Vengeance Pro Memory and it is fantastic, I no longer get massive frame drops just for looking down the scope or turning around in games, well worth the money and thanks to everyone who helped me out!

8GB should be a definite starting point for amount of RAM. For most people, that gives them enough headroom to play a game and do whatever else they want up to extreme stuff with video/photo editing.

In SWTOR, back in another rig, I had 4GB ram and was running really choppy and getting occasional freezes, I looked in task manager and saw that 96-99% physical memory usage, installed another 4GB and my FPS smoothed out by a ton, and the freezing stopped. Mind you this was about a year and a half ago. 8GB Is the standard now, anything lower is unacceptable.

4GB of RAM is kinda not enough for me... I usually use more than 4GB while playing BF4 and using Chrome. I've heard stories about people getting major FPS boosts from getting more ram.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I'm in the middle, 6 GB, and I'm more leaned toward 8 GB because 4 GB simply does not seem like enough to me.

4gb would pretty much mean you can only run your game without any background apps open. 8gb should be your starting point. 

you wont see an increase in performance per se. but you will see problems when you use up all your ram.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

4gb can be enough for some folks even while gaming for me it isn't tho. 8gb are a standard. Soon to be 16. 

These days I'd definitely go with 8 minimum. 16 was overkill for me. I think you'd notice an improvement.

I have 16gb on this computer (my daily use computer) and 4gb on my gaming/streaming computer and haven't noticed any kind of shortfall with the 4gb one.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8GB for casual, 16GB for power user, 4GB for office PC. 

8GB should give you a decent performance jump, but not often in tangible FPS but rather loads and possible hard FPS drops when the system is forced to seek from pagefile. 

Error: 410

8 GB is the real baseline for gaming. Most games are still 32-bit and can only use 4GBs of RAM. But your operating system is using some, your teamspeak is using some, your foobar is using some, and your 32 chrome tabs are using a ton. That's where you're benefiting. And if you say you don't multitask when you're gaming, you're lying. You've at least alt-tabbed to google something.

4 GB is enough for general use. If you're word processing and going on facebook, you'll be fine with 4GB.

6GB is sort of an inbetween, and is only really viable in notebooks (where it is a slightly uncommon configuration, but is available) because in a desktop you'd just buy a 8GB kit for the same or less than you'd pay for 6 GB. When I helped my girlfriend pick out her new computer, I filtered by at least 6 GB. That way, she can multitask and have tons of tabs to her heart's content, and can do some light gaming (well, I'm working on it) as well.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

8GB is basically the lowest you would want to go playing modern titles.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I`ld recommend you going with 8gb, yes it`s a bit more expensive but you won`t need to upgrade for a longer term than if you go with 4gb. Personally i have 4gb, but i`m willing to build a new rig and i´m going with 4X4gb (16gb) to squeeze the quad channel performance. Good luck from Argentina. ;)

i found when i had 4Gb of ram in my system and tried to play BF4, i would get big FPS fluctuations all the time.

since upgrading to 8GB, i've had no issue with FPS drops since, for the most part

8GB would be the absolute minimum i would use

Looking for a job

I had 6GB for a while when I still had my i7 920 system (triple-channel memory is very inconvenient), and it was pretty much fine for everything. The only time I ever had a problem was when I was running a terraria server as well as playing the game with chrome and some other stuff open. 

I would say with dual channel ram, 2x4GB (8 total) would be the least I would go. It's a good amount, and until my new desktop build I never had more, and never needed it. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

My two rigs in sig have 16GB each, my 3rd rig (an older X9650 + 4x 2GB KHX DDR2 1066mhz + HD7970) has 8 GB, I use it for lighter gaming and it handles all the games I'd thrown at it with ease. I had 4GB installed, keeping the other 4GB as standby/reserve, but $%#@ COD Ghosts had the 6GB requirement (before the patch) so I had no choice but to install the spare 4GB. I do have a 4th rig (AM2 5200+/4GB DDR2 800 + HD5770 1GB), it's used mostly for surfing the net. It is capable of light gaming with some other titles, I could get another 4GB for it, but figured the extra RAM would be a waste as I don't game on it.....reason being, it's on loan to my brother,

A good starting point for a gaming rig would be 2x 4GB of RAM, which should satisfy even the most hardcore gaming enthusiast. Though I have 16GB on both main rigs, I hardly see RAM usage exceeding 4GB-6GB to be honest....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

8GB minimum, but isn't there some sort of relation between the amount of RAM and the speed of an SSD? or maybe it was the speed of the memory I forgot lol.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

I use over 12 like everyday with 10 chrome pages whilst gaming (i also run an MC server and TS3 server though)

My next pc will prob have 16gb though, I rarely go over ~20gb

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 gb for basic work like word and stuff

4gb for basic stuff and some media

8gb sweetspot for gaming and most users

16gb+ for editing

Hey guys just wanted to thank everyone who posted and helped me out. You've convinced me so I'll be getting an 8GB kit of Corsair Vengance RAM to avoide having comparability issues with my current RAM and Vengace Pro RAM just looks so badass. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

My laptop sitting with nothing but back ground apps running and windows 7 is using 2.79 right now, and my main system which i have several tabs and windows on chrome open is using 5.0 right now, if I open up win tv to watch tv on it to it will go up to between 6 and 7, I would say even for a smooth running multimedia pc 8 wouldn't be a bad idea you might get by with 4 ok if you make sure all but the absolutely most necessary back ground processes are closed. My laptop has 16 gigs in it and my desktop 32 gigs, which is over kill except when rendering videos, the extra ram really helps out with that. I think 8 is the current sweet spot for the average user. I think you will be completely happy with 8, because aside from when I am doing serious multitasking or editing things, i never exceed the need for 8.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

With virtual machines and the amount of RAM programs take up these days 8GB should be absolute minimum... 16GB is preferred..

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

Your RAM bottlenecks your PC when doing BF4 ( Same for me, I also have 4GB ).

8Gb, even then I full use 8 with all my browser windows open while playing starcraft. 

If ram drops again I'm jumping in and getting me some more.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

My AMD rig only has 4GB, and is now hitting limits in some games (loaned to my bro) yet more money to be used :|

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW