partitioning hard drive question and recommendations (TheNoob)

Naruke Alpha

ok, so i recently installed linux mint on a usb, and is SLOW AS HELL ( i mean it was expected... lol ) so, i will opt for the other route, partitioning my win8 laptop hdd and putting it in my desktop, so i got a couple of questions 

1) risk of partitioning and prevention

2) how would a motherboard read the partition

3) would i be able to boot directly into linux, without dealing with win8 that is on the main partition of the hdd??  

thanks! 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

ok, so i recently installed linux mint on a usb, and is SLOW AS HELL ( i mean it was expected... lol ) so, i will opt for the other route, partitioning my win8 laptop hdd and putting it in my desktop, so i got a couple of questions 

1) risk of partitioning and prevention

2) how would a motherboard read the partition

3) would i be able to boot directly into linux, without dealing with win8 that is on the main partition of the hdd??  

thanks! 

plz guys any help? :(

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40