How to format an HDD

Go to solution Solved by Moosie,

There is nothing that says "new simple partition" when I right click on it. There is "new simple volume" would that help? Also, it says I only have 1862.89 GB rather then the full 2TB. Is that normal?

That's what I meant.

And yeah, totally normal. Hard drives are advertised using decimal (1000 KB per MB), but the windows file system reads them in binary (1024 KiB per MiB). The size difference is because of this.

I just built my computer, and I am currently running everything off of a 240 GB SSD, but I also have a 2TB HDD for mass storage, however it is not showing up in the control panel, though it does come up in the Bios. I was told I need to format the HDD in order for it to be usable, however I have no idea how. If someone could please tell me, that'd help very much. 

(on a side note, I'd like to ask, does dual SLI requires setting up, or the SLI Bridge does all the work, and I can run dual graphics cards as easy as that?)

Go to start and search for "Create and format hard disk partitions"

At the bottom, there should be a line (probably labeled "Disk 1") with the right size and no partitions (you can tell because there is no blue line like there is for your boot drive)

Right click the unallocated space (to the left of the "disk 1" box) and select "new simple partition."

Go through the wizard, selecting NTFS as the file system, and the entire capacity of the drive. This will give you a 2TB for use in windows!

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

Go to start and search for "Create and format hard disk partitions"

At the bottom, there should be a line (probably labeled "Disk 1") with the right size and no partitions (you can tell because there is no blue line like there is for your boot drive)

Right click the unallocated space (to the left of the "disk 1" box) and select "new simple partition."

Go through the wizard, selecting NTFS as the file system, and the entire capacity of the drive. This will give you a 2TB for use in windows!

There is nothing that says "new simple partition" when I right click on it. There is "new simple volume" would that help? Also, it says I only have 1862.89 GB rather then the full 2TB. Is that normal?

As for SLI, go to the Nvidia control panel > Set SLI and PhysX configuration > Enable SLI technology

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

Yes. For any storage device about 7% of it is just nothing. As Linus says

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor

That's what I meant.

And yeah, totally normal. Hard drives are advertised using decimal (1000 KB per MB), but the windows file system reads them in binary (1024 KiB per MiB). The size difference is because of this.

That's what I meant.

YES! IT ALL WORKED! THANK YOU SO MUCH! OH YOU ARE AMAZEBALLS! Thank you. :D

YES! IT ALL WORKED! THANK YOU SO MUCH! OH YOU ARE AMAZEBALLS! Thank you. :D

No problem!

You could also search disk management and do it too.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)