Nintendo being taken to court for WiiU patent infringement claim

GoodBytes

Secure Axcess has taken Nintendo to court claiming that the WiiU infringes one of their patents, The Verge reports.

black1.jpg

The patent in question is: "Multiscreen personal computer display method and apparatus", published in 2003.

The claim the WiiU game pad screen infringes that.

In addition, the company is suing all the large retailers: GameStop, Target, Amazon and Best Buy, for selling the WiiU without the company explicit permission.

Secure Axcess seeks compensatory damages, costs, interest and other relief from Nintendo and large retailers.

The Verge:

The patent in question was filed in 2000 and published in 2003 for a "multiscreen personal computer display method and apparatus," or a computer which provides display capabilities on more than one screen. The Wii U supposedly infringes on this patent with the use of its GamePad.

The company is also suing retailers such as GameStop, Target, Amazon and Best Buy for selling the console "without license or authorization." Secure Axcess is seeking compensatory damages, costs, interest and other relief.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5624886/Nintendo-lawsuit-wii-u-patent-infringement

Source: http://setexasrecord.com/news/295268-recent-patent-infringement-cases-filed-in-the-eastern-district-of-texas-80

Image Source: http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/

Time for people (morons) to post about why nobody should be allowed to have patents if they are actually going to enforce them

Meh never heard this company. Took a look, they deal with lots of patents apparently.

http://secureaxcess.com/

Secure Axcess is taken Nintendo to court claiming that the WiiU infringes one of their patents, The Verge reports.

Has taken*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

8th Circle of hell is reserved for patent trolls.

Nintendo was also in trouble with another patent troll over 3DS. I wonder what became of that?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yeah... Have fun suing the retailers. I doubt they knew, and even then, they will ROYALLY kick your asses. So royally, in fact, Queen Elizabeth would applaud.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Suing retailers for selling a product that infringes a patent?Lol.

Anyway : "multiscreen personal computer display method and apparatus,"

They could as well sue anything that has a display with that very vague explaination,because that screen can be mirrored to another display.Derp.

Anyway,how does the WiiU have 2 displays?If I plug 2 monitors in my computer they should sue me too.These patents man.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

wait to kick someone while there already down

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Suing retailers for selling a product that infringes a patent?Lol.

Anyway : "multiscreen personal computer display method and apparatus,"

They could as well sue anything that has a display with that very vague explaination,because that screen can be mirrored to another display.Derp.

Anyway,how does the WiiU have 2 displays?If I plug 2 monitors in my computer they should sue me too.These patents man.

The nintendo DS could fit into that category and they're not complaining 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

wait to kick someone while there already down

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

"multiscreen personal computer display method and apparatus

They could as well sue anything that has a display with that very vague explaination,because that screen can be mirrored to another display.

Holy Shit! I have just mirrored my computer's screen to my phone. I'm going to get sued!!!

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Time for people (morons) to post about why nobody should be allowed to have patents if they are actually going to enforce them

You mean time for any reasonable person to complain that the current patent system is not fit for purpose and needs reform.

http://www.patentgenius.com/inventor/weberharoldj.html

That's a list of this guy's patents.

A conjoined portable display monitor and portable keyboard similar to the arrangement of a laptop style portable computer are used to provide user interface for a desktop personal computer or workstation. The portable display monitor is configured to receive video data signals from the desktop computer, while the portable keyboard and associated mouse are configured to deliver their signals to corresponding inputs of the desktop computer. The arrangement retains the space-saving advantages of a portable computer's embodiment with the enhanced performance and available options of a full-sized desktop computer. An example mode of this teaching shows a portable computer adapted to receive video signals from and deliver keyboard signals to conventional data-signal ports inherent with the desktop computer system. The user may return the portable computer's signal ports to a conventional mode and continue usage as a conventional self-contained portable computer.

Be careful Steam home streaming he's coming for you. This is the problem with the patent system, any random idea that has no chance of ever being developed by the person / company is then used to sue the people that do all the hardwork. Any patent that is vague should be thrown out, and anything that is speculative should be thrown out and anything that is broadly scoped, like a patent for a rectangular shaped phone, should be thrown out.

It really does get tiring to see companies that have not produced a competing product to the one in question sue for a supposed infringement.  How can they sue for loses and compensation for damages when they don't have any product out there they are losing on? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I like the first patent on the list, filled in 2007: a TV remote, with a channel up and down volume. AMAZING!

And this one here:

http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/6803874.html

Which is a remote control which acts like a normal remote control.

It really does get tiring to see companies that have not produced a competing product to the one in question sue for a supposed infringement.  How can they sue for loses and compensation for damages when they don't have any product out there they are losing on? 

Yeah its a scumbag move but the patent and copyrighting laws aren't the most polished things out there and because of that there's money to be made by patent trolling so it happens. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You mean time for any reasonable person to complain that the current patent system is not fit for purpose and needs reform.

Be careful Steam home streaming he's coming for you. This is the problem with the patent system, any random idea that has no chance of ever being developed by the person / company is then used to sue the people that do all the hardwork. Any patent that is vague should be thrown out, and anything that is speculative should be thrown out and anything that is broadly scoped, like a patent for a rectangular shaped phone, should be thrown out.

exactly, as I have said before, patent trolls are just after the money they can't make themselves.   file a stupid patent, wait for a company to become successful then sue for the profit.  Parasites of the IP world.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8th Circle of hell is reserved for patent trolls.

Nintendo was also in trouble with another patent troll over 3DS. I wonder what became of that?

I think that one was valid, it had something to do with Sony owning a 3D technology patent and Nintendo had to pay them a lot of money for each sale of the 3DS and royalties from before. They still might be in the appeal process so who knows right now, and Google isn't working with me so I can't link a news article.

As for this one, this is ridiculous, what about Smartglass?

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

I hate this! Patent trolls should die

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Really? They have the balls to sue fucking Nintendo? They are getting themselves into a world of hurt.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

Why, Nintendo? I don't want them gone. They just need new IPs instead of clinging onto old ones.