Bought a Sapphire 7990 but wanted a AMD 7990 instead

Hi, guys!

I have a "problem": I bought a Sapphire HD 7990, but I wanted a "pure" AMD instead. What do I do now?

The card arrives between today and next Tuesday (Apr/22nd) and I have one week do decide and, if it is the case, return the card to the store.

But it happens that I haven't find any store in Brazil that has the AMD 7990 for sale. They are all sold out.

So I ask you: What is the big difference between one from Sapphire and one from AMD? I understand that both use AMD chipsets, but are two different companies. Is Sapphire realible?

I don't intend to overclock, just play games such as Battefield, Crysis 3, Titanfall, etc.

With the money I spent, I can buy 2 video cards with 3GB and 512bits each...

So I ask you: What should I do??

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure you can't get stock coolers for AMD cards unless it's a sample directly from AMD. Sapphire is decent, you have no need to worry.

Hi, guys! I have a "problem": I bought a Sapphire HD 7990, but I wanted a "pure" AMD instead. What do I do now? The card arrives between today and next Tuesday (Apr/22nd) and I have one week do decide and, if it is the case, return the card to the store. But it happens that I haven't find any store in Brazil that has the AMD 7990 for sale. They are all sold out. So I ask you: What is the big difference between one from Sapphire and one from AMD? I understand that both use AMD chipsets, but are two different companies. Is Sapphire realible? I don't intend to overclock, just play games such as Battefield, Crysis 3, Titanfall, etc. With the money I spent, I can buy 2 video cards with 3GB and 512bits each... So I ask you: What should I do?? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Don't worry!

Sapphire is one of the most trustworthy companies for AMD GPUs.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The title confuses me. One would think the model mattered, but here we have someone worried over brand o.0

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Hi, guys! I have a "problem": I bought a Sapphire HD 7990, but I wanted a "pure" AMD instead. What do I do now? The card arrives between today and next Tuesday (Apr/22nd) and I have one week do decide and, if it is the case, return the card to the store. But it happens that I haven't find any store in Brazil that has the AMD 7990 for sale. They are all sold out. So I ask you: What is the big difference between one from Sapphire and one from AMD? I understand that both use AMD chipsets, but are two different companies. Is Sapphire realible? I don't intend to overclock, just play games such as Battefield, Crysis 3, Titanfall, etc. With the money I spent, I can buy 2 video cards with 3GB and 512bits each... So I ask you: What should I do?? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

The Sapphire 7990 is the AMD 7990.

AMD doesn't mass produce their cards for sale, they share the design to the AIB partners who make it for them.

Sapphire cards are pretty good as far as quality goes.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

AMD/NVidia reference shrouds and coolers are just that; reference design. Nothing special. Most of the time, if any are even seen, I believe they're press samples or used for stuff like that. The rest are just rebranded and sold under the main card manufacturer's name*, which can be Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSi, whatever. They're all still "AMD", since they're AMD's graphics card design and chips. The only thing that varies really is the cooler, the name/label, the shroud (covering over the PCB/cooler/etc.), the PCB (sometimes) and the layout of the components on the PCB.

Something that might make a difference is out-of-the-box overclocks and potential binning of certain video cards. See: MSi Gaming-series vs MSi Lightning series GPU's. Another might be Gigabyte Ghz Edition vs standard Windforce OC, or Sapphire Dual-X vs Toxic.

Sapphire is a decent manufacturer for AMD, you're fine.

*AMD doesn't own card fabs, they outsource to chip manufacturers and send that to Sapphire, MSi, Powercolor, etc. so they can build everything else. The basic card PCB and cooler + shroud design, whatever. Anything non-reference is up to those guys to make, which may or may not include a modified PCB layout.

Thank you very much, guys!

Appreciate all the support.

I'll stick to Sapphire, then.

Cheers!