All-in-one server at home or rent one?

Takeo
Go to solution Solved by acidydragon,

Building one has a higher price to entry, but ends up cheaper in the long run.

Renting one has a lower cost to entry, but ends up more expensive in the long run.

If you can front the cost, build one, if not, rent one.

Hey folks!

I've been thinking about getting myself a NAS system as a media storage for a while now. Additionally, a few friends and I are now intending to build up a gaming server for ourselves which led me to following question:

Would you recommend building a media/website/gaming server at home? I keep thinking that buying the hardware once will be cheaper than renting a root server for at least two years.

PS: This topic has to do with several forum areas. Since networking is the main topic though, I thought I'd put it here.

Building one yourself is cheaper in the long run, fun to build and it's completely yours!

Building one has a higher price to entry, but ends up cheaper in the long run.

Renting one has a lower cost to entry, but ends up more expensive in the long run.

If you can front the cost, build one, if not, rent one.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

For a home server, build it

=doesnt cost much to build or run, doenst need to be upgraded

For a game server, rent it

=expensive to build, expensive to run, needs upgrading 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

For a home server, build it

=doesnt cost much to build or run, doenst need to be upgraded

For a game server, rent it

=expensive to build, expensive to run, needs upgrading 

That makes literally no sense at all.

That makes literally no sense at all.

What I mean is, for most uses a super basic atom pc would hand file server tasks around the home, it would consume very little power, be super cheap to build, and even in 5/10 years it will still probably be sat there doing the same thing pending nothing failing

In contrast lets say I wanted to build a 64 person battlefield 4 server, or a dayz server, it would need much higher end components, it would consume alot more power if its on 24/7, if people are constantly playing on it, then it isnt really going to be sat at idle all day like a file server is. also as new games come out it will have to be upgraded in order to meet the requirements,

A rented server is normally super high spec, has no running costs, has close to 100% uptime, no maintenance costs or upgrade costs

For example, I can rent a 12core server with 12 gbs of ram for like  £20 a month, so over 2 years thats £480, 

lets buy a dual 2011 cpu motherboard £400, 2x 4930k, thats £800, 12gb of ram £100 - £1300 thats like 6 years worth of renting, and we havnt even added all of the compnents in, or taken into account electricity costs, or parts failure, or that maybe a different game come that requires different server configurations

Thats just my 2 cents, you can rent game servers SUPER cheap , I have just seen a site letting you rent a 4 player minecraft server for £3.20 a month!!!

EDIT: also means your entire bandwidth isnt taken up with people connecting, and they server probably has a super fast connection

Sure if all you want is to run a server every now and again for a few friends, then a home build is way better, but renting can be very cheap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thank you for the fast response. I appreciate your replies. 

The overall opinion here seems to be tending to building a home server. Since we are not going to play the latest games we won't need the highest end system. ;) The costs shouldn't be that high, but that's something for a topic in another section.