XP Problems (not sure if this is the right section)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, no idea where to put this.

The Problem

Ever since a little bit after Microsoft cut support for XP, I've noticed my computer gradually slowing down, but not too much. Firefox was being a little bitch and I noticed it was using over 1.4m K and at one point it hit 2.5m K in the commit charge bit of the process part in Task Manager. Not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's bad.

Today when I booted up my computer and went to get breakfast while it did its thing. However, when I got back, I noticed it had frozen up. I could move the mouse, but nothing else worked. So I rebooted it. This time I was there to watch what it did. It took around a minute to get past the log in screen and just completely froze up, showing the wallpaper but nothing else.

Booted it in safe mode. It was slow, but still a lot more responsive than before. I looked at the event logs and noticed that MSE's malware thing had failed, it said this could be because of some malware. So I did a full scan with Malwarebytes, 2 items found, "Spyware.InfoStealer".

What I've Done So Far

1. Full system scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode, removed the 2 items found. Edit: I did another scan for some reason, it found 4 more. :unsure:
  2. System Restore back to a few days ago when my comp was running relatively fine, no changes.
  3. Used CCleaner to fix a bunch of registry issues.

My Thoughts

I think probably MSE was the problem here. I haven't been on any sites I don't know, just all the usual, regular stuff (Youtube, Reddit, LTT, Imgur, etc.).

Question time!

1. Am I ok to boot it normally and start using it again?
  2. Am I better off switching to Linux? If so, what distro is best for a 10 year old piece of junk? (This is why I posted this here)
  3. What's the best way I can go about changing all my passwords? Formatting, install Linux and then change them all? Something else?
  4. Is there anything else I need to do if I can stay with XP?

I'm typing this on my netbook which has EasyPeasy (Ubuntu) on it. I didn't have any major problems with this version of Linux, not sure if that means I won't with a desktop version though.

Thanks and sorry for the noobness

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Install Windows 8.1 :D

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

why r using that lame ram hungry version of windows...get the win 7 or 8.1... :)

Windows XP and "lame ram hungry" are you on meth?

no its the most ram efficient os, thats y the support for xp is shut down...lol... :lol:

no its the most ram efficient os, thats y the support for xp is shut down...lol... :lol:

They want our money, it's a big conspiracy with hardware manufacturers I think ;-)

They want our money, it's a big conspiracy with hardware manufacturers I think ;-)

i understand what u r saying...in todays world, everything is a conspiracy when it comes to hardware manufactures and game companies.... :)

Install Windows 8.1 :D

I'd prefer to not spend any money here, I'm a student.

I'd prefer to not spend any money here, I'm a student.

Then you should have access to Dreamspark right?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Then you should have access to Dreamspark right?

Never heard of that before today. Is that an OS or just a software kit?

Anyway, I asked if I'd be ok to stay with XP or if it's better to just switch to Linux.

Never heard of that before today. Is that an OS or just a software kit?

Anyway, I asked if I'd be ok to stay with XP or if it's better to just switch to Linux.

Dreamspark is given to students so they can use all Microsoft programs while they are finishing school. Unless you mean like high school and below, technically that's a student to, but those kind of students have parent resources.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Students in a College and University institution who have their entire school or in a department who is registered to Microsoft Dreamspark (aka: MSDNAA), have accessed from a web site, where all Microsoft software are available for free. The exception of Office (I guess Microsoft has to some money on you).

Contact your school IT department and ask about MSDNAA or DreamSpark for more information on how to access it, login credentials, let alone if you are part of it.

If your school or your department is not part of it, then as a student, you are eligible for really interesting offers at Microsoft Store website.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/en_AU/cat/ThemeID.29256200/categoryID.64886500?icid=HPtopnavStudents

You can get:

- Windows 8.1 Upgrade for 69.99$ AU (incl. GST),

- Student pricing on laptops

- 10% off on the Surface and Surface Pro line of product

- Office 365 University (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, 20GB of OneDrive storage, and 60 minutes of Skype call per month) for 4 years, for only 99.00$ (incl GST), and it's for 2 PC's, and 2 tablets

and more.

If that is not an option for you, and you are stuck with XP for some reason. Then you need to re-install it.

XP does not auto-maintain itself like it does with modern OS's and it's more then defraging. About every 6 month (depending on how much you use your system, and how) the performance will drop (that is based on my observation since I had XP, which span multiple computer builds).

Thanks for all the help guys, I fixed it. ( Like, ages ago. Forgot I posted this :P )