D3D and Opengl questions

(I'm using Windows 7 and an AMD 6870)

When I open Catalyst Control Center -> Information -> Software, it says my Opengl version is 6.14.10.12618. It also says my Direct3D version is 9.14.10.01001. How do I relate these long strings of numbers to what interactions of Opengl like 4.0-4.4? I did notice that 4.10 is actually part of that number for Opengl, but it looks strange.

I've read that Windows 7 was at first announced to not have 11.1 support, but then later This Happened. It makes me wonder how DX12 will be implemented for Win7. I'm still confused about the differences between 11 and 11.1 or 11.2 for my Steam Library.

In Windows 7 can you change whether games run with DirectX or Opengl? Is that an option and if so how does that change things? 

I'm planning on getting a video card in the future related to having DX12 support that will with Windows 7 and performance at least equivalent to a GTX 760 for less than $200.

I found a program called GLview. It says that's I have Opengl 4.3, which was best case because 4.4 is only available for Nvidia cards for now. What's odd is that the driver version listed in Catalyst Control Center is different than what GLview says. For CCC it's 6.14.10.12618 while for GLV it's 9.17.10.2932 .

I still want to test run games in my Steam library with Opengl, but I don't have an answer yet of where and how to change the API. Is it in the Steam client, a cfg file, properties menu,etc? I'm gonna pos this in the Steam Universe group.