youtube play/pause delay

prolemur

When I want to pause or play a video on youtube there is around a half second delay that is just kind of annoying, is this just me and can I fix it or has anyone else experienced this today?

Sounds like your PC is having some issues getting started with the decoding.

Are you using the HTML5 or Flash-based player? If you're using the Flash player, try enabling (or disabling) hardware acceleration by right-clicking the video and picking settings. Then go to the first tab and check (or uncheck) the checkbox for hardware acceleration and see if that makes things better or worse.  :)

Cheers,

Linus

I have also had this problem, and I have hardware acceleration enabled. My PC isn't under any significant load and there is nothin else using flash player.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Sounds like your PC is having some issues getting started with the decoding.

Are you using the HTML5 or Flash-based player? If you're using the Flash player, try enabling (or disabling) hardware acceleration by right-clicking the video and picking settings. Then go to the first tab and check (or uncheck) the checkbox for hardware acceleration and see if that makes things better or worse.  :)

I'm using flash player and I already had hardware acceleration enabled. It seems like this is only actually happening when I click the video to pause, it isn't an issue if I press the little play button at the bottom left corner. 

I'm using flash player and I already had hardware acceleration enabled. It seems like this is only actually happening when I click the video to pause, it isn't an issue if I press the little play button at the bottom left corner. 

Oh, you're right, tried pausing the video by clicking on it, and just as for you, there's a weird delay. Probably YouTube playing around with stuff again I guess.  :mellow:

Cheers,

Linus

I am also getting this problem. It would seem that we are all getting it at the same time so I am saying it's the recent Flash update.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

You've made me notice it now and its driving me insane.  Hadn't noticed it before reading this.

• 8 months later...

I've literally just registered to linus' forums to reply to this issue.

I believe that since it still happens to this day, it might be due to the player waiting for you to double click (to change to fullscreen or back), so it puts a delay before actually pausing the video, just in case you wanted to put it on fullscreen instead of pausing it. (I find this incredibly annoying)

I've literally just registered to linus' forums to reply to this issue.

I believe that since it still happens to this day, it might be due to the player waiting for you to double click (to change to fullscreen or back), so it puts a delay before actually pausing the video, just in case you wanted to put it on fullscreen instead of pausing it. (I find this incredibly annoying)

Holy crap dude yes!! I have been hawking over this thread since the day this issue daunted me, It's INCREADIBLY annoying and drives me up the walls!

(entering rant territory)

This is Microsoft's fault, only if they didn't decide to brainwash everyone with this flatdesign, tablet convergence BULLCRAP I'm quite sure Youtube would have not change in the way it has. Everyone as of 2014 has jumped onto the bandwaggon of touchscreens.

I have done numerous attempts at fixing this issue, such as forcing the video to play in flash player (I hate html5 btw), turning on/off software rendering, trying different internet browsers (such as Google chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, internet explorer e.t.c.) on SEVERAL operating systems (OSX at school, windows 7, ubuntu 14.04). Now keep in mind, I have a really beefy computer (liquid-cooled AMD FX-9370 8-core processor at 4.8 GHz) and I have just about gave up. I have to deal with google's foolish decisions in the coding department.

Can Google do ANYTHING good? They amaze me on how many times they can f*** themselves deeper into the oblivion of no return.

(exiting of rant terriroty)

*edit* Sorry, I have to go hunt that page down again... errr

*edit2* found it.

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/OnHWsdWrupc?version=2 This web page contains a Youtube video that doesn't have the issue. You click it, the BAM! it pauses. It's literally down to millisecond response times which are due from the mouse and your monitor, but this is what I missed. Back when the video player felt well constructed, and responsive.

I think Google was optimizing the video player for touch-screen devices, and thus they did not care about us good old desktop users. They have this beliefe that no one uses mice anymore.

*edit3*

http://ythistory.weebly.com/players.html These are all the revisions of the Youtube player over the years.