Creating the Ultimate Gaming Desk

Brapson

Hey Guys,

So one of the projects I'm currently working on is designing myself a brand new desk to replace my old IKEA desk which I've had for the last couple of years. I'm really keen on designing a desk that is both super functional, sleek and sexy. Sort of like if Apple made desks (iDesk?) without a thousand pound price tag.

So what do I mean by functionality? Well I want to build a desk that is enhanced by the simplest of things, nothing over the top as I'm not looking for flashing lights and a massive water cooling loop for my PC but simpler things like inbuilt HDMI ports/Display Ports and inbuilt USB 3.0 ports and possibly even inbuilt plug sockets. I'm really, really fussy about wire clutter and this combined with the position of my monitors would hide wires so I never have to see them. Another part of the functionality is that I want it to have a somewhat textured surface so that I can game without the need for a mouse pad.

So I've worked out the functionality of the desk. What about the design? Because the design of the desk is really important to me as well. As I said before I'm not looking to build something over the top as I prefer sleek, minimalistic, industrial design. Right now my design concept is very much based on my current desk only that it is longer, has some more depth and is built into the wall. It has U shaped metal legs and a black wood top. However the design is very much a work in progress.

I know that there is another desk that has recently been on KickStarter called the Paradise Desk which has this functionality but the design really doesn't cut it for me, I think it looks big, heavy and over engineered.

So yeah, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this was. If anyone has built a custom desk before I'd love to hear about it. Also I've created a Poll at the top to find out how important the desk is to a PC gamer.

Add "Maybe, I haven't been thinking about it" option in the poll.

Now that I think about tables, a simple cable management system would be nice, maybe a couple of 2A USB ports for charging mobile devices, and a Qi-charger zone.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Add "Maybe, I haven't been thinking about it" option in the poll.

Now that I think about tables, a simple cable management system would be nice, maybe a couple of USB ports for charging mobile devices, and a Qi-charger zone.

Consider it done my friend. All excellent suggestions, I especially love the suggestion of wireless charging. Never thought about that! Thanks!

Consider it done my friend. All excellent suggestions, I especially love the suggestion of wireless charging. Never thought about that! Thanks!

Well, I hope that you-know-which-corporation will implement some sort of wireless charging in their devices soon.

Also, there's an idea to make the desk extendable, if your friend comes to your house with a laptop and wants to play with you. giggity

Wireless charging pads built into a desk would be awesome 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

I'd add in a quad style charger zone. With all three types of phone plugs (iphone, samsung, and every other phone) and one usb then have four wall plugs below it. and four usb below that. and have it hidden behind your monitor

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building stuff from chipboard is easy, especially a desk. You just figure out the measurements buy some chipboards, cut it, take it to your local place that laminates them and you put it together. The hard part would probably be drawers if you wanted them, but still not that hard.

You can draw your desk in google sketchup to imagine the design.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'd add in a quad style charger zone. With all three types of phone plugs (iphone, samsung, and every other phone) and one usb then have four wall plugs below it. and four usb below that. and have it hidden behind your monitor

You might as well hide four USBs behind the monitor and have a couple of wire holders so only the connectors are sticking out.

Oooooooh can we make a retractable laptop charger cable? So you press the button and it crawls back like in vacuums?

No.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

You might as well hide four USBs behind the monitor and have a couple of wire holders so only the connectors are sticking out.

Oooooooh can we make a retractable laptop charger cable? So you press the button and it crawls back like in vacuums?

Good idea. Retractable cables

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a thing so that when you tap the desk a module flips out with usbs on it and you can push it down and it goes back down

Building stuff from chipboard is easy, especially a desk. You just figure out the measurements buy some chipboards, cut it, take it to your local place that laminates them and you put it together. The hard part would probably be drawers if you wanted them, but still not that hard.

You can draw your desk in google sketchup to imagine the design.

Thanks. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Hahaha... Your acting as if it is your desk too! Sounds sort of cool though I don't use a laptop anymore.

Have a thing so that when you tap the desk a module flips out with usbs on it and you can push it down and it goes back down

What is this science fiction? Though that sounds like a really cool idea! Not sure how I would pull it off though.

I love this idea. Maybe built-in monitor mounts to look extra clean?

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Thanks. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Hahaha... Your acting as if it is your desk too! Sounds sort of cool though I don't use a laptop anymore.

What is this science fiction? Though that sounds like a really cool idea! Not sure how I would pull it off though.

You know how you get spring loaded rods that hold up car bonnets? Use that and have a plastic clip to hold it down, push down to release the clip, push down again to reengage it, use a usb hub for the usbs and have the connector for them drop down so it does not get in the way of the clip etc.

I love this idea. Maybe built-in monitor mounts to look extra clean?

Yeah I was considering that! Great minds think alike!

You know how you get spring loaded rods that hold up car bonnets? Use that and have a plastic clip to hold it down, push down to release the clip, push down again to reengage it, use a usb hub for the usbs and have the connector for them drop down so it does not get in the way of the clip etc.

Ahhh! Yes, I'll definitely look into it! Thanks :)

-snip-

Might not be that much use to you but I hope this helps for the design. (Teacher said it was too unrealistic)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/130090-project-notsurewhattonameit/

QLUA0um.png

Gv9Qxy8.png

More pics in the link.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I don't really care for any of these "added functionality desks." I like my desk to look sleek and clean, no clutter etc.

Well that's mainly what I'm aiming for. I want an "added functionality desk" that looks sleek and clean. I wanna be able to hide all my wires with ease and will probably do something to hide the USB ports and such. I'm taking all these ideas on board though.

Might not be that much use to you but I hope this helps for the design. (Teacher said it was too unrealistic)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/130090-project-notsurewhattonameit/

Wow! That looks awesome, though my design is going to be a little simpler than that as it's not a corner desk. However it looks really cool!

I know this could be another topic but it is kind of related, how come we don't have wireless charging for wireless mice?

I know this could be another topic but it is kind of related, how come we don't have wireless charging for wireless mice?

Mionix has your back. (if you don't know who they are, the made the Naos 8200).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mionix-inductive-charging-mouse,25689.html

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

One of those mice is rubbish and the other looks good if the (mouse) pad for it was semi-attreactive

I think it's not impossible to build AA-batteries with Qi implemented in them... although the charge time would probably be tremendous (small coils). 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I really like the idea of integrating some sort of wireless charging capability into the desk. Any other features people can think of?