Security flaw?

majorawsome

So I just changed my password on Pandora, because somehow I keep getting the Linkin Park station re-added. After changing my password, I went to my smartphone to change it, and I didn't have to. I was able to keep playing my music, even add and delete stations without entering my new password.

I am completely shocked that this flaw has gone so long unnoticed. Please mention this to Pandora so they can fix it!

And that's not all. I then changed my email password (Hotmail) on my desktop and I can still RECIEVE AND SEND EMAILS on my smartphone, even the Windows 8 metro app. (I'm on 8.1 but still).

My theory is that once you sign into an app on a device, your account on whatever service generates a random hash, that sends that to your device and let's you log in via that hash, and when you change your password the hash doesn't change. Any other ideas?

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

As long as a device is logging in automatically there is no check to verify the password it is using is indeed still correct in most applications. It' a rather large security flaw, someone should let them know and have it corrected.

I think that your hash idea is pretty spot on, but it may very well be a bug, imagine if your phone or laptop was stolen, and people still had access to your Netflix or bank's app or something. oops.

I believe this works only for mobile apps. On a web browser you need to enter your password and username every time.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.