PWM?

TasTyDK

hi i'm have a guestion do you need to have PWM fans to control them in the bios? or is 3 pin okay while still givng me control of the fan speeds.

or do i need a fan controller. if i need a fan controller can i then put 3 pin fans in a fan controller and still control them

No, 3 pin fans on a 4 pin motherboard are controllable. You need to select voltage control in the BIOS instead of PWM. 

If you have a lot of 3 pin fans you want to control, depending on your board you may need a controller. 

Error: 410

No, 3 pin fans on a 4 pin motherboard are controllable. You need to select voltage control in the BIOS instead of PWM. 

If you have a lot of 3 pin fans you want to control, depending on your board you may need a controller. 

are you sure. but how can i connect 6 3 pin fans to a motherboard

Yep, you can control 3pins on a 4pin, with or without a fan controller, in your BIOS.

But as @helping mentioned, you'll need to just do it differently.

You might also need to change a fan setting in BIOS before adjusting the voltage. But that's usually just with older boards.

are you sure. but how cab i connect 6 3 pin fans to a motherboard

You can't connect 6 fans into your MoBo directly. You can purchase fan splitters. Or, in this case, just buy a fan controller and be done with it. It'll simplify your life ten-fold.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Yep, you can control 3pins on a 4pin, with or without a fan controller, in your BIOS.

But as @helping mentioned, you'll need to just do it differently.

You might also need to change a fan setting in BIOS before adjusting the voltage. But that's usually just with older boards.

You can't connect 6 fans into your MoBo directly. You can purchase fan splitters. Or, in this case, just buy a fan controller and be done with it. It'll simplify your life ten-fold.

could you recommend any fan controller?

My MSI Z87 G45 didn't have any option to control via voltage. Just saying to let you know that it's not all motherboard that offer the option.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fan+controller&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I personally recommend NZXT's fan controllers, as I have had nothing but great experience with them. Plus, they're touch screen and look great!

If I had to choose one, I would go with the first on the list, the NZXT Sentry 2. HOWEVER - if you go to NZXT's store, they have recently released the Sentry 3 which is even better. That's currently the only place you can purchase it, and it's $35.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=fan+controller&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I personally recommend NZXT's fan controllers, as I have had nothing but great experience with them. Plus, they're touch screen and look great!

If I had to choose one, I would go with the first on the list, the NZXT Sentry 2. HOWEVER - if you go to NZXT's store, they have recently released the Sentry 3 which is even better. That's currently the only place you can purchase it, and it's $35.

`then should i connect all of the fans to the controller and none in the mobo? i think i'll go with the sentry 2

I'm using this one :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=NZXT+SEN-MIX2+Sentry+Mix+2+Fan+Controller&N=-1&isNodeId=1

The connectors are kind of cheap but once pluggued you never touch them so... The knobs feels sturdy enough. I chose this one cause I didn't want a useless touch screen and knew that this model would fit my XL R2 with the door closed.

`then should i connect all of the fans to the controller and none in the mobo? i think i'll go with the sentry 2

Yes, you can do that. Unless you want to control the fans (or certain ones) with Software; in which case, you'll want to plug them into the motherboard.

But if you're okay with controlling them from the front panel, you can just plug them all in to the controller.

Yes, you can do that. Unless you want to control the fans (or certain ones) with Software; in which case, you'll want to plug them into the motherboard.

But if you're okay with controlling them from the front panel, you can just plug them all in to the controller.

but i have 6 fans overall and the sentry 2 only takes 5 fans? so should i connect the 2 fans for the h100i in the mobo? 

I like the bitfenix recon.

but i have 6 fans overall and the sentry 2 only takes 5 fans? so should i connect the 2 fans for the h100i in the mobo? 

Yes, I would definitely connect the two H100i fans into the motherboard. You HAVE to connect something into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard, or else your PC won't know you have any cooling. Yes, it'll cool the CPU and all, but you'll have software issues & errors more than likely.

PWM gives you more control over the fan speeds, while 3 pin only has a few speeds. PWM is recommended for a CPU fan, while 3 pin is recommended for case fans.

Yes, I would definitely connect the two H100i fans into the motherboard. You HAVE to connect something into the CPU_Fan header on the motherboard, or else your PC won't know you have any cooling. Yes, it'll cool the CPU and all, but you'll have software issues & errors more than likely.

you say i'm going to have software issues if i dont connect anything to my cpu fan header

My board has 2 PWM CPU_FAN and 3x3pins. I pluggued my heatsink to the SYS_FAN and the rest to my fan controller. Never got an error or anything...

PWM gives you more control over the fan speeds, while 3 pin only has a few speeds. PWM is recommended for a CPU fan, while 3 pin is recommended for case fans.

few speeds?

My board has 2 PWM CPU_FAN and 3x3pins. I pluggued my heatsink to the SYS_FAN and the rest to my fan controller. Never got an error or anything...

SYS_FAN also works. 

And as I stated, it's more than likely.. Not 100% chance to run into problems.

Either way, the guy has too many fans for a controller, so he'll need to do this anyways.

so i should buy a fan controller and connect 4 fans to the controller and the last 2 fans in the cpu_fan1 and cpu_fan2 on the mobo? is that right? so should the 2 cpu fans be PWM or not?

My MSI Z87 G45 didn't have any option to control via voltage. Just saying to let you know that it's not all motherboard that offer the option.

I have the same board too and I wasn't able to control my 3 pin fans with my board.  Ended up going with a fan controller.  Before I was controlling my fans with the corsair link pos.  Got rid of it.. Now life is good. :)

Oh man the Sentry 3 looks pretty sweeet.. 

I'm using this one :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=NZXT+SEN-MIX2+Sentry+Mix+2+Fan+Controller&N=-1&isNodeId=1

The connectors are kind of cheap but once pluggued you never touch them so... The knobs feels sturdy enough. I chose this one cause I didn't want a useless touch screen and knew that this model would fit my XL R2 with the door closed.

I'm using the same one as well and I recommend this product too.  It doesn't have a fancy touch screen but it is reliable and works just like you need it to.

+1 on this.  Exact same as mine.. again. lol

Oh man the Sentry 3 looks pretty sweeet.. 

Triple post, really?! If I had mod powers, I would strike you down with Thor's Hammer.

But yeah, the Sentry 3 just got released a little while back, maybe few weeks, and I ordered it like 2 days after they had it in the NZXT Armory. I might do a review on it.. But I must say... It's fantastic!