Norwegian Armed Forces adapting the Oculus Rift for military purposes.

Pkekyo

Original Article with video can be found at Teknisk Ukeblad ("Tech Weekly").

TL;DR: Norwegian Armed Forces have launched a project with the intention to put the Oculus Rift on vehicle operator's heads, allowing them 360 degree vision and greater situational awareness - and thus freeing up the vehicle commander to focus more on the larger scale combat situation. (Since most people seem to think that this is for training/education: It is not. It is intended for operative use in combat operations.)

As a former vehicle operator in the Norwegian Army, I personally drool over the possibilities this offers, and I'm certain vehicle commanders feel the exact same way. And having been the platoon designated "lining up all the vehicles guy" because everyone else was piss poor at backing up precisely, it would have freed up a fuckton of my own time :P

The following is a crude translation of the article by Teknisk Ukeblad, written up by me. If any other natives on Vikingland feel they can offer more precise translations of parts of, or the entire article, please go for it.

Watch the Army drive armored vehicles with the Oculus Rift

The Army is currently trialling the Oculus Rift gaming-goggles in Norwegian armored vehicles.
By Eirik Helland Urke
Published April 15th 2014, 09:09am

The effect can best be described as sitting in a transparent tank. Teknisk Ukeblad got to test an early development version at the Rena proving grounds, with a prototype of the Oculus Rift, and the specially developed camera system.
With cameras on all sides of the armored vehicle and the special goggles, vehicle operators a 360 degree field of view from the vehicle, even with the hatches battened down.
A company in Hamar, Norway, MakingView that has been aiding the Norwegian Army Battle Lab developing the camera system and software.

Oculus Rift

The special thing about the Oculus Rift goggles, is that the view seamlessly follows the head's movements.

If the vehicle operator turns his head left, he looks straight out of the left camera.
By looking down, he sees straight down unto the tracks of the vehicle, enabling him to parallel park with centimeter precision, without aid from the vehicle commander.
Oculus Rift is mostly talked about in connection with computer gaming, because it allows for a very realistic gaming experience. It's as close as we have gotten to Virtual Reality (VR) to date.
Recently, the company was acquired by Facebook for twelve billion NOK, before a consumer version has even been released onto the open market.

Computer Games
Precisely computer games have been part in inspiring the new systems being tested by Battle Lab at Rena.

- People playing "Battlefield" have much better vision and situational awareness than one has in an actual vehicle. However, with our software, you can add the information you are used to from games, such as map overlays, orientation, tilt and speed, says development manager Daniel Mestervik of MakingView.

1200027237.jpg
Photo: Eirik Helland Urke

Augmented Reality
For the Army, it's important to be able to implement their upcoming Battle Management System (BMS), a new support system for combat use. It proves itself difficult for personnel to utilize this system in a chaotic and stressfull combat situation, which is why the possibilities of seeing the information in a Heads-Up Display through the use of Augmented Reality with Oculus Rift.
Thus, one can see elements like friendly forces, weapons and minefields overlaid on the terrain, without having to take your eyes off the surroundings to interpret information on separate monitors.
The AR information overlay system being tested by the Army is developed by Augmenti, based in Trondheim, Norway.
Together with Oculus Rift, the system allows the vehicle operator to navigate more independently by the vehicle commander's intention, rather than having to get constant accurate driving instructions, and operate with large blind spots. This allows the vehicle operator to drive independently to a much larger degree, allowing the vehicle commander to focus more on the combat situation at hand.

1200027235.jpg

Optimistic
Major Ola Petter Odden, of the Army's Combat Lab, is optimistic after the first practical tests at Rena.
- This concept shows great promise. We find the goggles to lack the screen resolution to see well at a distance, and they can cause a certain degree of dizziness for the vehicle operator. We believe these issues can be improved fairly quickly, says Maj. Odden to TU.
The tests were conducted with commercial and inexpensive equipment, which opens for large scale deployment in Norwegian armored vehicles. Battle Lab believes the system can be operational in as little as five years, which is quite fast in a military context.
- I can imagine the system being technically mature enough in two or three years, then a qualification period is required to ruggedize the equipment, and make it ready for use in traffic.

He stresses that any introduction to the Norwegian Army depends on how it fits into the overall schedules for material procurement.

Positive with regards to Facebook

Battle Lab are positive with regard to Facebook's acquisition of Oculus Rift.
- We think it's very beneficial, as they now have the necessary funding to develop this further. We also take note that competing systems are beginning to appear, which makes us all the more optimistic that we'll be able to get good enough goggles, says Maj. Ola Petter Odden to Teknisk Ukeblad.

1200027230.jpg

Too much is never enough.

the last photo looks so goofy

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Interesting indeed.

I knew this would happen eventually.

Some one using the Rift for military purposes that is. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Years later we'll look back and say "and that's how Facebook took over the world's armies."

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

They could create armoured troop transports that don't have windows and the driver sees using VR

or a gunner could fire the mounted guns without popping his head out, while the computer shows friendly units and terrain maps so he can be more accurate with information

also fun in the evenings !!!! haha

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We're fucked.

every time i see that i video i think of one of my friends xD 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

"You just shot 10 Taliban. Would you like to "like" this and share it together with a photograph to your Timeline?"

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Interesting... I think all militaries will adapt to technology to train recruits. I mean every air force uses flight simulators rather than throwing a cadet in to the cockpit of an F-18.

The Australian Army uses virtual reality to train recruits in basic firearm handling. Things such as firing down the range, feeling weapon weight, recoil and accuracy is all taught through a big virtual environment.

Years later we'll look back and say "and that's how Facebook took over the world's armies."

Facebook is Skynet!

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

They could create armoured troop transports that don't have windows and the driver sees using VR

or a gunner could fire the mounted guns without popping his head out

To be fair, operators of APCs and IFVs see just about sweet, sweet fuck-all as it is now.

Also, meet the Kongsberg Protector RWS, also of viking heritage:

96b4666901c1efc7_org.jpg

Interesting... I think all militaries will adapt to technology to train recruits.

This isn't a training project, but intended for operational combat use.

The Australian Army uses virtual reality to train recruits in basic firearm handling. Things such as firing down the range, feeling weapon weight, recoil and accuracy is all taught through a big virtual environment.

...youwha.... I always knew Aussies were nutters, but holy jumping shitballs, that's bonkers.

Also, meet the Kongsberg Protector RWS, also of viking heritage:

This should be Canons new DSLR, 50 cal included

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Actually, that there would be a 40mm Grenade Machine Gun, with a side dish of FN MAG chambered in 7.62 NATO :P

The U.S. Military uses virtual reality equipment for recreational combat sims. They usually have possible recruits try them out at events and such.

or a gunner could fire the mounted guns without popping his head out, while the computer shows friendly units and terrain maps so he can be more accurate with information

also fun in the evenings !!!! haha

It already exists. Camera on gunner with thermal view. It's called CROWS.

It already exists. Camera on gunner with thermal view. It's called CROWS.

yeah, I know systems like that exist. What I meant was, wearing VR the guy inside can look around 360 degrees, with a nice visual overlay, and the weapon could aim where he looks with motion tracking, no fiddly controls and joysticks to contend with. He can turn his head fast and natrual and not have to pan around with the gun, perhaps he could have picture in picture, so he can look around and ALSO see where the gun is looking in order to keep an eye on friendlies or que up secondary targets

well at least it will train them better..

probably...

Since people seem to keep thinking this is a training aid, I've added the following to the TL;DR section:

(Since most people seem to think that this is for training/education: It is not. It is intended for operative use in combat operations.)

yeah, I know systems like that exist. What I meant was, wearing VR the guy inside can look around 360 degrees, with a nice visual overlay, and the weapon could aim where he looks with motion tracking, no fiddly controls and joysticks to contend with. He can turn his head fast and natrual and not have to pan around with the gun, perhaps he could have picture in picture, so he can look around and ALSO see where the gun is looking in order to keep an eye on friendlies or que up secondary targets

Whilst it does sound nice, the problem you'd get from slaving the turret movement to the gunner's head, is that the gun would spin around like mad any time the gunner reacted to something around the vehicle. Not only would it be inefficient, but also a huge safety hazard.

As it is today, the Norwegian made Kongsberg Protector RWS (known in yankland as CROWS II) is equipped with a large amount of optical sensors that let the gunner use a monitor (or monitor bank) to operate it by joystick, and it works pretty damn well. The thing you have to take into account here, is that gunners don't suffer from the same lack of situational awareness as a vehicle operator does - as the gunner, or his sensors in the case of a Protector RWS, are located on top of the vehicle and all ready allow for 360 degrees of field of view.

Since people seem to keep thinking this is a training aid, I've added the following to the TL;DR section:

Whilst it does sound nice, the problem you'd get from slaving the turret movement to the gunner's head, is that the gun would spin around like mad any time the gunner reacted to something around the vehicle. Not only would it be inefficient, but also a huge safety hazard.

As it is today, the Norwegian made Kongsberg Protector RWS (known in yankland as CROWS II) is equipped with a large amount of optical sensors that let the gunner use a monitor (or monitor bank) to operate it by joystick, and it works pretty damn well. The thing you have to take into account here, is that gunners don't suffer from the same lack of situational awareness as a vehicle operator does - as the gunner, or his sensors in the case of a Protector RWS, are located on top of the vehicle and all ready allow for 360 degrees of field of view.

What if the gunner had a VR headset so he can look "around" the vehicle, but still controller the gun via joystick or pad. Then the guns line of site, and the rounds estimated trajectory was displayed on the headset, a bit like a fighter jet hud. It could even have lock on data for things like air to air missiles or countermeasures/smoke canisters (if they are carried on that vehicle, lets say a tank)

Then instead of looking at a tiny screen he gets a projected weapon display on this headset, he can look in any direction, and it shows him at the bottom the direction the gun is facing, and he can then just rotate it and line it up with the projected trajectory. It can also show him the direction the vehicle is facing

I drew it in paint :3

EDIT: updated panting

post-17790-0-96210100-1397726302_thumb.p

Then instead of looking at a tiny screen he gets to look at two tiny screens

Fixed it for you :P

On a more serious note, yes, what you're describing is a much more plausible way to adapt the Oculus system for gunner use.

The issue with this would be that he doesn't get the highly magnified imaging, thermal imagery etc. that a module like the Protector RWS offers. I am certain that as technology improves, we will find a way in which one can seamlessly transition from looking through generic 360 degree cameras to taking advantage of the vehicle's advanced sensor systems. That said, I think we'll have to wait quite a few years before we get that far.

Fixed it for you :P

On a more serious note, yes, what you're describing is a much more plausible way to adapt the Oculus system for gunner use.

The issue with this would be that he doesn't get the highly magnified imaging, thermal imagery etc. that a module like the Protector RWS offers. I am certain that as technology improves, we will find a way in which one can seamlessly transition from looking through generic 360 degree cameras to taking advantage of the vehicle's advanced sensor systems. That said, I think we'll have to wait quite a few years before we get that far.

Check out my paint drawing!!!!! The oculus could easily overlay thermal/infrared data with the flick of a switch

A future version of VR goggles (if not the Oculus, then some other brand) will probably be able to, but the graphical quality of the goggles aren't quite there yet.
Testers have specifically reported issues with seeing objects at a distance clearly, if at all. That doesn't mean we won't get there though, I am quite confident we will.

Either way, I'm excited for this thing, I'll definitely have to test the final version, I think it will be amazeballs :)

Reminds me of the F-35 helmet.
You can see through the plane with it.
2-carbon-fiber-hmds-helmet.jpgf

RTX2070OC