Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor

I really want to know about the downscaling capabilities. I understand that it should look good and work well, but I want to know a concrete answer. 

I just think being able to downscale to 1080p for gaming would be a good option (and won't require an insane setup).

It's no problem at all. Downscaling form 4K to 1080p is just grouping together 2 pixels vertically and horizontally so you get 4px chunks. Picture quality is the same as on a 28" 1080p display with the same panel.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

There are plenty of good IPS panels for gaming, just not at more than 60Hz. PErsonally prefer high refresh so I stuck with TN myself.

There are almost no good ips panels for gaming. Except this one dell monitor, U23 or something like that. That ips panel has very little input lagm everything else is not good for gaming. But they arent bad at it either. They are an option but not a good one.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

There are almost no good ips panels for gaming. Except this one dell monitor, U23 or something like that. That ips panel has very little input lagm everything else is not good for gaming. But they arent bad at it either. They are an option but not a good one.

There are several more than that. Eizo has a 23inch model that's pretty good for example. And they work really well, they just can't do 120Hz.

Frankly besides response times and refresh rate adhering to certain standards there is no such thing as a "gaming grade" monitor. They all show a picture in pretty much the same way.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

@hawaiims But this panel is 8+2bit and not 6bit, so you can do private colour work. Nothing serious as a (semi-)professional, but for private use good enough.

@Theepicm But the Seiki is a TV with just 30Hz, but this monitor is an SST 60Hz monitor.

This was a great review but I would really like to know more about @LinusTech 's configuration to drive the monitor at the ~50 fps that was shown for most of the video. It seems there is a lot of people in the community (myself included) who don't know exactly what it takes to drive these types of resolutions at respectable frame rates.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'll wait for the price to go down a bit more for IPS 4K monitors, I am not going back to TN even with 1 ms response time.

Pre-ordered couple days ago.My two 780 ti's are waiting,if that don't work, i'll throw my two Sapphire R9 290X Tri-x's at it.

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

The day I have a 4k monitor is the day when I have 3 of those beasts 11520x2160

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

I've got a pair of 770's (vram 2gigs, not 4) and I'm interested in purchasing this monitor for myself. Should I hold back? Honestly, the only video game I play anymore is DOTA 2 but I'm a huge movie buff.

†††††

Tumblr // Collection // Wantlist // Last.fm †††††

I've got a pair of 770's (vram 2gigs, not 4) and I'm interested in purchasing this monitor for myself. Should I hold back? Honestly, the only video game I play anymore is DOTA 2 but I'm a huge movie buff.

What movie are you going to watch in 4K? My reason to want this isn't even for gaming or movies, it's for the desktop workspace.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Linus can you guys review the lower end model that release by samsung? The SD360/390 series. That would be great. 

Question is what would be worth it more at this point, im temoted to get a 4K Monitor but then there is the option of 3 screens. hmmm 

Current System- Asus Z87K Mobo, Palit GTX 780, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz RAM, Intel I5 4670K Processor at 4.1Ghz, 600w PSU Corsair, 120GB Boot drive SSD With 1TB External Drive. Numerous 120mm case fans. Oh and meatballs. Cant forget meatballs. 

Can I ask a question to you the graphic techy guys!

I have an XFX R7970 DD Edition which is advertised at 4K Support. What do you guys think? Would I be running it whilst it struggles consistently?

I'm still using a 1050p monitor so soon I'm looking to get a big monitor upgrade but focused on my custom built which has been completed for the last 3 months or so.

In general with 4K monitors what kind of support do I have backed up using this graphics card? I'm basically judging the capability of it. Bearing in mind I spent £250 (US $420) on the graphics card less than 3 months ago so I'm hoping that It was a good buy in future proofing my future builds. I don't want to bottle neck my card so what do you guys think? 

What movie are you going to watch in 4K? My reason to want this isn't even for gaming or movies, it's for the desktop workspace.

The point of mentioning that I'm a movie buff was not that I'd like to watch 4k content, it's that I'm unsure how I would feel about the color reproduction since this is a TN panel (coming from a very good IPS panel). Of course I'd like this panel because of the desktop real estate, don't be a fool. I'm also curious if 2gb of vram is enough for a 4k display for everyday use and very light gaming (essentially only dota 2), as I suspect it is not.

†††††

Tumblr // Collection // Wantlist // Last.fm †††††

4K for me is still meh.  we really need wide rangesupport from a load of people at a low price for it to become a reality, even with this. We also need GPU's and internet to speed up drastically toIMO.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I was thinking of a "budget" 4K gaming upgrade.  Would 2 GTX770's (4GB flavor) in SLI drive this thing at 60 fps???  I saw on Paul's Hardware the "Are We Ready For 4K Yet" video with him telling us pretty much no...  2 770's 4GB are cheaper than 2 780 Ti's which only have 3GB and that frame buffer for 4k isn't enough it seems...

I7-4770K/ 16GB GSkill Trident X (CAS 7)/ ASUS M6I/ 2x Samsung 840 EVOs/EVGA GTX770/ Corsair RM650, 350D, M65, K95, H100 & MM400.  Yes, I am a Corsair fanboy.

Hello everyone!

A friend of mine wants to order 2 of these monitors, mainly for playing poker. He currently has 2x23" in his desk, and an extra 50" TV for backgrund playing videos and stuff, all of them 1080p, and all of them hooked up to an sapphire hd 7950 flex. The idea is to replace the 2x23" with these 4k ones, and keep the tv.

Our questions were:

1.- Is it possible to run 2x4k + 1x1080p screens? If so, anything we should consider?

2.- The graphics card has miniDP, so he's also gonna order 2xminiDP-to-DP cable adaptor. Is that all he needs to run those 4k monitors from the miniDP from the card? any extra requeriments for the cable in order to work? (we ask this because here it says miniDP only supports 2560×1600 resolutions).

We just want be sure we don't miss any details in order to make his setup work, as he is going to order those monitors from the US to Argentina...so, we don't want to make any noob mistakes.

Thanks for your help and time in advance! Have a nice day!

n.n

1.- Is it possible to run 2x4k + 1x1080p screens? If so, anything we should consider?

That's quite some high specs from what I'd say. A lot of processing power on that and I'm not sure if the Sapphire 7950 flex would take it, if it does, I'm pretty sure you'll be bottlenecking it from what I can imagine.

Edit: You could always see what other people say, If you decide to go ahead, check the GPU temps at idle (just windows running). anything around 60°C to 65°C at idle is pretty high. But if you won't be running extravagant things such as games, you might be alright.

That's quite some high specs from what I'd say. A lot of processing power on that and I'm not sure if the Sapphire 7950 flex would take it, if it does, I'm pretty sure you'll be bottlenecking it from what I can imagine.

Edit: You could always see what other people say, If you decide to go ahead, check the GPU temps at idle (just windows running). anything around 60°C to 65°C at idle is pretty high. But if you won't be running extravagant things such as games, you might be alright.

Thanks for your response! n.n

The thing is, he barely plays anything other than poker. That's why he wanted as much resolution, in as few screens as possible. The point of our question was, is it posible to mis-match the resolutions of the desktop? in this case, the 2160px height of the 2x4k monitors, and the 1080px of the TV? or will the operating system complaint about that?

I was thinking of a "budget" 4K gaming upgrade.  Would 2 GTX770's (4GB flavor) in SLI drive this thing at 60 fps???  I saw on Paul's Hardware the "Are We Ready For 4K Yet" video with him telling us pretty much no...  2 770's 4GB are cheaper than 2 780 Ti's which only have 3GB and that frame buffer for 4k isn't enough it seems...

doubt it. much better off with x2 r9 290, 4GB AND matching speed of 780's

Thanks for your response! n.n

The thing is, he barely plays anything other than poker. That's why he wanted as much resolution, in as few screens as possible. The point of our question was, is it posible to mis-match the resolutions of the desktop? in this case, the 2160px height of the 2x4k monitors, and the 1080px of the TV? or will the operating system complaint about that?

Hmm, You might actually be able to get away with it. My guess is if you decide to go for it, check the temps, if it comes close to being high at an idle state then you could always try improving air ventilation. Possibly more fans if your case supports it, make sure you have enough exhausts (The more intake you have, then make sure you have enough exhausts to dispose of the hot air out of the case). Always worth a try!

Hmm, You might actually be able to get away with it. My guess is if you decide to go for it, check the temps, if it comes close to being high at an idle state then you could always try improving air ventilation. Possibly more fans if your case supports it, make sure you have enough exhausts (The more intake you have, then make sure you have enough exhausts to dispose of the hot air out of the case). Always worth a try!

Thanks again!

Doing some research, I found this (sorry if you have any policy about external forums links; please remove the link if so). Basically they say that, if you run the other monitors as extended, then you can mismatch their resolution, no problem. Just need to align them afterwards to your liking.

My second question, as the days passed, has been answered by the wiki itself. Previously it said that miniDP could only handle 2560x1600, but now, it states that it can handle "same as DisplayPort" signals, only limited by bandwith. So...short version: yes, it should be able to.

His setup is going to be like this:

Graphics Card (miniDP#1) >> Adapter (miniDP to DP) >> Monitor1-4k (DP)

Graphics Card (miniDP#2) >> Adapter (miniDP to DP) >> Monitor2-4k (DP)

Graphics Card (hdmi) >> TV1080p (hdmi) (probably 120hz)

Performance-wise, it should be able to handle it. His current setup (3x1080p) barely consumes any of the graphics card power.So, even if now the requeriments are 3x what were before, it should be well under 50% of the gpu usage.

I'll try to remember to answer this thread again commenting anything relevant about the setup process we are going to go through. Thanks for the support!

n.n

Hey linus just got my monitor in and I noticed a weird sort of tearing it only seem to happen when there is a lot of blue or white on screen and can turn into flickering if there is enough on screen at once btw it happen over displayport 4k@ 60 hz I notice it happens only at higher framerates above 40 on graphically demanding games or benches like heaven 4.0 btw it is affected by the color setting both in the nvidia drivers and on the monitor the brighter and mor vibrant the worse it gets

Linus: "We do take your constructive criticism very seriously"

*looks at comments on video and deletes constructive criticism*. :P (joking)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator