Pouring Saltwater Over Graphene Generates Electricity

jmaster299

**I did a search for anything containing graphene, so I don't want to hear you whine if you dig up some other post about this.*

Chinese scientist have supposedly generated electricity by pouring salt water over a sheet of graphene. This possibilities for this technology are endless, including for tech. Imagine being able to plug a graphene and saltwater generator into the power lines of your house to supplement your electricity needs. Even if it doesn't remove you need for standard electricity completely, I will make a huge impact on your monthly electric bill. Yes solar is already used for that purpose, but the installation cost and the amount of space you need for the panels is significant, and it doesn't do well in places that don't get a lot of sun.

http://www.eteknix.com/pouring-saltwater-over-graphene-generates-electricity/

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Could this ever generate more power than would be required to manually lift water to a height to pour it down the sheet?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

It's cool and all... But I still want methane powered cars, or cars that run off carbon dioxide in the air.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Could this ever generate more power than would be required to manually lift water to a height to pour it down the sheet?

Nope

That would break the laws of physics. Chances are the salt might be used up in the process so you would have to keep adding salt to the loop if it was a closed system.

Nope

That would break the laws of physics. Chances are the salt might be used up in the process so you would have to keep adding salt to the loop if it was a closed system.

Hmm. I guess you could never get 100% of the GPE out going down the sheet and you'd need more than the GPE to put the water up the sheet.

Still, adding this to boats and other sea based things could be cool.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Hmm. I guess you could never get 100% of the GPE out going down the sheet and you'd need more than the GPE to put the water up the sheet.

In the end probably not good for the things living in the sea.

I wouldn't support this.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Why not just use the engine to generate electricity like they already do? The benefit would be so small that it wouldnt be worth installing onto the bottom of a boat. It could also make the boat les efficient.

they use a droplet if they covered the hole sheet i could see them getting maybe 2 volts and from there you just need to layer into a cell. only down side it would be insanely expensive to produce that much graphene 

In the end probably not good for the things living in the sea.

I wouldn't support this.

Graphene is just purified graphite. It doesn't pollute anything... It's a rock.

they use a droplet if they covered the hole sheet i could see them getting maybe 2 volts and from there you just need to layer into a cell. only down side it would be insanely expensive to produce that much graphene 

But that's just it, companies are working, successfully, to make graphene easier to produce, which lowers the cost. Any speculation on how much energy the final product will produce is just that, speculation.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

This will work well if we put it on all the beaches over all the world... Tidal Power Baby!!! 

Character artist in the Games industry.

It's cool and all... But I still want methane powered cars, or cars that run off carbon dioxide in the air.

Not good at all. You'd be creating a CO2 imbalance. That's basically the issue we have now, but on the other side of the spectrum. Right now, we're pumping out too much of it. Your suggestion says to take away too much of it. Carbon dioxide is needed for life.

Not good at all. You'd be creating a CO2 imbalance. That's basically the issue we have now, but on the other side of the spectrum. Right now, we're pumping out too much of it. Your suggestion says to take away too much of it. Carbon dioxide is needed for life.

I never said all cars would have this. I just want to see some.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Graphene is just purified graphite. It doesn't pollute anything... It's a rock.

yes it is dangerous. Do you know what breathing graphene in does to your lungs?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I'm gonna go on a limb and say something bad, like lung cancer or asphyxiation.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Nope

speakign of physics. didn't scientist successfully break the law you speak of a month or so ago? I rememeber someone posting about scientist doing nuclear fusion but just barely.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm gonna go on a limb and say something bad, like lung cancer or asphyxiation.

exactly.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Every time I come across something like this, I think of this

1285770751942.png

But that doesn't mean I don't want it to be true. I really, really do.

But the generator/motor would only take water in. There is no waste and nothing to expel out of the system. The only reason why you would need to add more salt water is due to evaporation. They may be some cleaning required but that would just be to remove salt build up. There is no pollution with a device like this.

Nope

All powerstations produce more power then they consume. There is more energy stored in the materials then there is required to transport them and use them.

I/e when you light a piece of coal on fire with a match, you don't have to use a match with more energy to start it up.

arnt they making new battery's with salt water / graphene?

Its all about those volumetric clouds

It saddens me the amount of people that don't have any idea what they're taking about, bashing stuff like this. I haven't looked into this enough to give an educated opinion on this technology. But any research into alternate and renewable energy sources should be supported.

In reference to the person who said this would violate laws of physics. This type of technology would be no more a perpetual motion machine as a water mill. Yes if you are forcing salt water to for over a graphene cell, it will probably not be a net producer of energy. But a water mill is not a net producer of energy if you transport the water and pour it over the wheel.

I'm sorry if I offended any one it was not my intention. Also I typed this on my phone so I apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

All powerstations produce more power then they consume. There is more energy stored in the materials then there is required to transport them and use them.

I/e when you light a piece of coal on fire with a match, you don't have to use a match with more energy to start it up.

no, power stations actually consume vastly more energy than they put out.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.