Intel is losing billions

GoodBytes

The Verge is reporting that Intel is losing billions each year on tablets and smartphones, as few devices uses its processors, and PC sales have been dropping.

intel-sign-23.jpg

In recent months, Intel has been under pressure to explain why personal computers haven't been selling quite as well. But the chipmaker may have another pressing concern: losing billions of dollars on mobile.

In 2013, Intel's mobile chip division lost a staggering $3.15 billion, after posting an operating loss of $1.78 billion in 2012. In the first quarter of 2014 alone, the Mobile and Communications Group saw a $929 million operating loss on a meager $156 million in revenue, according to new financial results issued today by the company.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/15/5618126/intel-is-losing-billions-every-year-on-tablets-and-smartphones

Image Source: http://bgr.com/tag/intel/

There aren't any very well sold tablets/phones with intel processors in them.It's to be expected.They have the ultrabook market though.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Intel is playing a long game. They are losing now but if they decrease the power usage of x86 enough to match ARM they might just dominate the mobile world.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

CEO: WE NEED A BACK UP PLAN

Scientists: We do...

CEO: No... not that..

Scientists: IT MUST BE DONE!

few weeks later...

Intel has introduces consumer 8-Core unlocked processors at 250$!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

They should just cut their prices on i5's and i7's to a more like amd range and stop wasting time with tablets and phones.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

They will be fine. But they should just not focus on tablets/phones. Ultra books are fine.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

considering just 20 years ago 1 in 1000 people had a personal computer. and now eveyone has atleast 2 to their name. thats nearly a forest fire worth of growth. also considering people do not upgrade a pc  very often it is unlikely that cpu sales are going to continue to rise. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

They should just cut their prices on i5's and i7's to a more like amd range and stop wasting time with tablets and phones.

because AMD is doing so well as far as revenue goes......

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Intel has introduces consumer 8-Core unlocked processors at 250$!!!

Nope.That would only benefit us,tech enthusiasts,and maybe some small companies.Intel is losing big time on the mobile segment,because ,so far, they haven't managed to make x86 a true competitor to ARM.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Nope.That would only benefit us,tech enthusiasts,and maybe some small companies.Intel is losing big time on the mobile segment,because ,so far, they haven't managed to make x86 a true competitor to ARM.

wut evr men itz still cool 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Well, thats not what intel should care about. I mean, if you had the choice between a 6300 and a 4670k for the same price, what would you chose? When they cut the prices to that level, there wont be any amd systems left (unless they cut their prices too again) and intel would sell so much more while even making more money.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

They are breaking even/making a tiny bit of money. 

That's not losing billions.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I hope you do know that mobile market is a really big market and if intel gets into it finally... They will easily earn twice as much as they have lost now...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I have never seen a phone with an Intel chip in it so I can see why they are loosing money.

I have a phone with an intel dual core inside, pretty fast, but when it gets hot it starts to glitch, artifacting and even the screen starts to lose accuracy when i use the touch screen xD.

It only happens when i use it for a long period of time (for cel phones).

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

It's lot more complicated than just just having over priced CPU's,  If dropping their prices was  going to fix even 1/8th of the budget problems they would have done it already. 

But here is some food for thought,  the mobile market has certainly kept Nvidia in profit since 2010.  AMD is really only posting a profit now because of console sales. Seeing as Intel has neither of these markets they have may have to stay in the red for longer until they get a foot hold in one of them.

EDIT: since making this post it has been bought to my attention that AMD posted a loss for the first quarter '14.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Intel should make better APUs like AMD. Also I haven't seen a Intel phone yet, except the razr i.  

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Intel should make better APUs like AMD. Also I haven't seen a Intel phone yet, except the razr i.  

nearly all their chips are APU's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Go ARM or go home!

Doesn't it cost even more for sophisticated fabrications plants to match ARM's power efficiency? 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Price and demand. They may lower the price, but doing so will cause a shortage because of high demand and limited supply. Personally I think their chips are priced at what the market deems favorable.

They aren't in it for the short term investment, but rather the long run dominance. There are bound to be short term losses.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

nearly all their chips are APU's.

But they could do way better then the HD4600 on the desktop chips

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Well, thats not what intel should care about. I mean, if you had the choice between a 6300 and a 4670k for the same price, what would you chose? When they cut the prices to that level, there wont be any amd systems left (unless they cut their prices too again) and intel would sell so much more while even making more money.

The day that you see the newly released unlocked i5 variant sold for $120 (at all stores) is the day that intel has a liquidation sale

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It's Intel. The day they go under is the day we are all uploaded to one big server and no longer need out own personal computers.

However, they really need to crack this mobile market. They can manage a quad-core celeron at 10W now. If they can just keep pushing though the 14nm boundary I believe that they can deliver a dual-core phone processor with Intel's legendary IPC with very little heat out-put

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

But they could do way better then the HD4600 on the desktop chips

Hence Iris Pro. That thing trades blows with the A10-7850K (I know it's a fair bit behind but considering it's not the main feature it's damn impressive) and is coming as standard on all Broadwell Chips

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO