Modeling Case Mods?

aom
Go to solution Solved by Scheer,

Solidworks and Autodesk Inventor for money, Blender and Sketchup for free.

I've never spent much time with Blender, but Sketchup is extremely basic. It will get the simple things done, but coming from an Autodesk background it seems to be missing a lot. Solidworks was initially a PITA for me as well since I was used to Autodesk products, but after a while it became just as intuitive as Autodesk was. Autodesk is EXTREMELY confusing for a little while, and it makes no sense why you need to do things the way they want you to when you make simple things like helixes, etc... and all of a sudden it just clicks and makes sense. Its hard to explain, you just need to sit down and play with it for a bit.

All in all, If I had to pick just one it would be Inventor mainly because you can hop onto Revit or AutoCAD and everything remains familar and you don't need to learn it all again other than they inverse the mouse wheel zoom direction between Inventor and CAD for some stupid fucking reason...

AFAIK, there is absolutely no way to get Solidworks for free, even with an .edu account they still want like $150 per year for it. Autodesk lets you get a 14 month "educational trial" of their software once a year, so long as you have a .edu account and keep upgrading to the newest version. If you like it, before you graduate you can purchase an educational suite for ~$250 which is a lifetime license for that product (no yearly updates to the latest) for non-commercial use.

What is the best program for modelling custom cases/mods/etc. I've been just doing some rough sketches on paper and want to turn it into a more precise layout on a 3D model. I heard about SketchUp and Autodesk Inventor(dang its expensive, glad I can get the student version), but I am not sure what to use.

In school we use Autodesk Inventor, if you don't know how to use it don't bother. I've been using it for 2 years and still trying to work with it.

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

i use google sketchup, its so easy to use

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I allways use Sketchup.It's simple to use and free. By the way: It isn't developed by Google any more. They sold it to a company called "Trimble" in 2012. But they seem to do a good job, continuing Googles work.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Google sketch up is easy and free. probably the most popular one used around here for mods

for sketchup, is there a way to render the model because I prefer higher res images instead of screenshots. Though not really necessary, but would certainly want that feature.

I've never spent much time with Blender, but Sketchup is extremely basic. It will get the simple things done, but coming from an Autodesk background it seems to be missing a lot. Solidworks was initially a PITA for me as well since I was used to Autodesk products, but after a while it became just as intuitive as Autodesk was. Autodesk is EXTREMELY confusing for a little while, and it makes no sense why you need to do things the way they want you to when you make simple things like helixes, etc... and all of a sudden it just clicks and makes sense. Its hard to explain, you just need to sit down and play with it for a bit.

All in all, If I had to pick just one it would be Inventor mainly because you can hop onto Revit or AutoCAD and everything remains familar and you don't need to learn it all again other than they inverse the mouse wheel zoom direction between Inventor and CAD for some stupid fucking reason...

AFAIK, there is absolutely no way to get Solidworks for free, even with an .edu account they still want like $150 per year for it. Autodesk lets you get a 14 month "educational trial" of their software once a year, so long as you have a .edu account and keep upgrading to the newest version. If you like it, before you graduate you can purchase an educational suite for ~$250 which is a lifetime license for that product (no yearly updates to the latest) for non-commercial use.

Can you use sketchup to somehow import a picture of a graphics card and stuff? or do I need to make one my self in the program?

Main Rig: Cpu: Intel Core i7 4790k CPU Cooler: NH_d15 GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce III MOBO: Msi Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: HyperX Fury 1600 8gb white SSD: Samsung 840 evo 250gb PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: NZXT H630 white

PC peripherals: Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster T27B550 Keyboard: Logitech G105 Mouse: Logitech G700s Headphones: Logitech G430 

@AMaleWhale yes you can import pictures in sketchup but they have to be from a 90° angle to fit the surface

I see. Well considering on how I have a CAD class coming soon, might as well get a head start in Inventor since you said that the interfaces of AutoCAD is similar. Thanks.

I used to use Blender, so when I tried SketchUp, it was way too simplistic and almost constraining. I would use Blender, but it is just down right terrible for needing to make accurate models with dimensions imo, not really a fault since it was never made to really do so (though I will probably use it to render objects)

Im a big Solidworks and CATIA fan,I use both,Solidworks is my primary tho.

Sketchup is good for beginners as it has a large base of premade models of PC components available.

Math>Mesh modellers.

BTW,Keyshot is a great render tool.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.