Need Help With GPU Crashing!

Alterlai
Hello,

So after a fresh windows 7 install i've had a really strange problem with my gpu drivers.

A little while ago when i was using my pc the screens just went dark and the pc suddenly restarted. Didn't really think anything of it. But it started happening more frequent so now I'm looking to fix it.

What exactly happens:

- I'm just using my pc as usual. 

- Screen goes black.

- Fans speed up for ~ 2 seconds

- Pc shuts down and reboots.

I downloaded a program called WhoCrashed to see what caused the crash to happen.

Here are the resaults:

1729072aabefe3f9205ab26ee002dd6e.png

First i thought it was the driver so i downgraded (clean install) from beta 337.5 to 335.x (stable) yet it still happens.

On google most people recommend upgrading to latest drivers but since i already am on the latest driver that's out of the question.

I have also tried doing this:

Still same issues.

It seems to happen more often when i´m actually gaming.

So instead of looking any further i´d like to ask you people if maybye you have any experience with this problem and may be able to help me with this.

I´d appreciate it very much if you would able to help me.

Thanks in advance!

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

If you have a friend you could try swapping GPU's with that'd be helpful. Could be your GPU kicking.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a friend you could try swapping GPU's with that'd be helpful. Could be your GPU kicking.

I could try but I wanted to do that more as a last resort. I´d first like to rule out software issues.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro

i get the same problem with my laptop, it isnt the greatest with a gtx 530m in but it has the same crash on older or newer games...

Try downclocking your gpu core and memory like 50mhz and see what happens.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Maybe something to note here..

This only started (i'm not sure before or after installing 337.5, pretty sure after) but surely after a fresh windows 7 install. It didn't do this on my old windows install. So that's the reason for my software related suspicion ;)

CPU:

Doesn't anyone have past experiences with this and knows how to fix it?

CPU:

Doesn't anyone have past experiences with this and knows how to fix it?

Ah I see, well, you could try a new fresh install.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the integrated GPU of your CPU disabled? I had a lot of issues with that in the past, it's not exactly the same as what you describe, but it might be worth checking  :) .

Have you checked the gpu temps recently? if not, it could be gpu throttling that makes the fans run then shut down. Also try running the computer without the gpu and only with intergrated graphics to see if its indeed the gpu drivers. Also try running early build drivers and see if the crash log still has 335.23. If it shows 335.23, windows might be loading a corrupted driver instead of the recently installed drivers.

We are one, we are many, we are, the Enthusiasts.

Cpu: AMD Fx-8350 Motherboard: MSI 970A G46 RAM: 18 GBs GPU: R9 290 w/ Kraken G10

I wouldn't really recommend installing beta drivers for your GPU since it's well... beta. But if the drivers are giving you a hard time then try using IObit uninstaller. It's freeware but I trusted it only because I saw a complete review of it in a 2012 edition of Computer Power User and it was recommended. I gave it a try and I still use it to this day. It's basically similar to the default windows uninstall process just with added features. It allows you to uninstall multiple programs simultaneously through what's called "batch uninstall" and does it through the program's uninstall parameters. Another thing is that normally once you remove a program, it would leave it's files in the registry but IObit gives you the ability to remove that program's associated registry files in your machine guaranteeing a total removal of those files. I really recommend trying it out because it has helped me out several times, especially when dealing with GPU drivers or any sort of driver issue.

Have you checked the gpu temps recently? if not, it could be gpu throttling that makes the fans run then shut down. Also try running the computer without the gpu and only with intergrated graphics to see if its indeed the gpu drivers. Also try running early build drivers and see if the crash log still has 335.23. If it shows 335.23, windows might be loading a corrupted driver instead of the recently installed drivers.

I wouldn't really recommend installing beta drivers for your GPU since it's well... beta. But if the drivers are giving you a hard time then try using IObit uninstaller. It's freeware but I trusted it only because I saw a complete review of it in a 2012 edition of Computer Power User and it was recommended. I gave it a try and I still use it to this day. It's basically similar to the default windows uninstall process just with added features. It allows you to uninstall multiple programs simultaneously through what's called "batch uninstall" and does it through the program's uninstall parameters. Another thing is that normally once you remove a program, it would leave it's files in the registry but IObit gives you the ability to remove that program's associated registry files in your machine guaranteeing a total removal of those files. I really recommend trying it out because it has helped me out several times, especially when dealing with GPU drivers or any sort of driver issue.

Thank you so much for your input. I'm gonna try this right away.

CPU:

Also try running early build drivers and see if the crash log still has 335.23. If it shows 335.23, windows might be loading a corrupted driver instead of the recently installed drivers.

When i downgraded from 337.25 to 335.23 it showed the correct drivers for both of them.

CPU:

Is the integrated GPU of your CPU disabled? I had a lot of issues with that in the past, it's not exactly the same as what you describe, but it might be worth checking  :) .

Don't think so but i think it's more driver related. Thanks for the reply though :)

CPU:

I have tried completely uninstalling gpu drivers and installing 335.32 stable drivers but the problem still occurs

CPU:

I have tried completely uninstalling gpu drivers and installing 335.32 stable drivers but the problem still occurs

So IObit didn't work? Did you use the "Powerful Scan" tool?

When uninstalling drivers, use Driver Sweeper, that's the gold standard in driver cleaning, never heard of "IObit" before, ever.

I'm gonna take a guess that it has something to do with a bad driver and also possibly a setting. Since you said this usually happens in gaming and you're running Nvidia, I have a suggestion. Go to your Nvidia control panel and navigate to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings > Scroll down till you see "Power management mode", by default it should be set to adaptive.

fb1bd1502e14e14f8e9be23fbffb2c29.png

Try setting it to "Prefer maximum performance".

49e449ef42322f1438ca2e2f0a5bddd4.png

You can either set this globally or you can set it up for individual applications. This should help with stability if you pair it with a nice driver.

I used to get bad crashes randomly after a fresh install of Windows that wasn't that old and the fix for me was to use an older driver and change my setting to maximum performance on games. At first I thought it was some bad overclock on my ram, cpu or gpu, but it seems changing a simple setting worked. (I even went so far as changing thermal compound that was previously changed around 3 months ago just to see if it was temp related)

So IObit didn't work? Did you use the "Powerful Scan" tool?

Haven't. Is that a seperate iObit program? because i didn't see it in the uninstaller.

CPU:

When uninstalling drivers, use Driver Sweeper, that's the gold standard in driver cleaning, never heard of "IObit" before, ever.

I'm gonna take a guess that it has something to do with a bad driver and also possibly a setting. Since you said this usually happens in gaming and you're running Nvidia, I have a suggestion. Go to your Nvidia control panel and navigate to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings > Scroll down till you see "Power management mode", by default it should be set to adaptive.

fb1bd1502e14e14f8e9be23fbffb2c29.png

Try setting it to "Prefer maximum performance".

49e449ef42322f1438ca2e2f0a5bddd4.png

You can either set this globally or you can set it up for individual applications. This should help with stability if you pair it with a nice driver.

I used to get bad crashes randomly after a fresh install of Windows that wasn't that old and the fix for me was to use an older driver and change my setting to maximum performance on games. At first I thought it was some bad overclock on my ram, cpu or gpu, but it seems changing a simple setting worked. (I even went so far as changing thermal compound that was previously changed around 3 months ago just to see if it was temp related)

Alright thanks for the great help. I've just used Driver Sweeper to remove my current driver and installed the 335.23 driver. I've also changed the "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximium performance".

I can't comment right now on wether it worked or not but i'll get back to you with any information if anything happens.

Thanks a lot!

CPU:

Alright thanks for the great help. I've just used Driver Sweeper to remove my current driver and installed the 335.23 driver. I've also changed the "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximium performance".

I can't comment right now on wether it worked or not but i'll get back to you with any information if anything happens.

Thanks a lot!

Hopefully that will keep her stable. :3

Hopefully that will keep her stable. :3

Did both. Just crashed again. :(

Only thing left at this point might as well be a fresh install...

CPU:

Hmm...did you try setting max performance globally? Could also try an even older driver that would have came out when the 700 series was launched. The only other things I can think of is overheating or a psu issue.

Hmm...did you try setting max performance globally? Could also try an even older driver that would have came out when the 700 series was launched. The only other things I can think of is overheating or a psu issue.

I set it globally but i'll try to use the first drivers. But I find it really strange this only happend AFTER a fresh windows install. I actually never had any problems with any of this before the installation.

CPU:

If all else fails, I guess you can re-install Windows another time.

If all else fails, I guess you can re-install Windows another time.

It's definitely not overheating since temeratures don't exceed 50 degrees right before crashing. And unless my PSU is failing I don't think it's that either.

CPU: