Does mining using GPU use more electricity?

I was previously mining in student accommodation so I wasn't worried about utilities. However, now I'm back at home (with my family). Does mining use more electricity and therefore increase the bill? I was thinking of mining in the background when I'm doing casual stuff (YouTube, movies, anime etc) to gain a little bit more Litecoins.

| CPUAMD FX-6350 4.2Ghz | MotherboardGigabyte: GA-78LMT-USB3 | RAM16 GBytes DDR3 | GPUMSI AMD Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr IV OC Edition | PSU: Corsair 650W Modular +Gold Certified | Storage: 2 TB HDD |

it uses 100% of your GPU so it uses all the power it needs, on idle your GPU uses less power

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

YES!, its like running a benchmark, but its not like your bill will increas so much that your parents will notice, unless they are electricity freaks, or really monitor that shit alot.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Yes mining using gpus does use more electricity. Since you're basically loading the card, which means it's going to run at it's peak performance rating, and when that happens it's going to need allot of power of the must power it can draw, in order to keep the performance up. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Your computer likely already uses a decent amount of power. Specially if you're a regular gamer. But as stated above, mining pushes your GPU incredibly hard so it needs as much power as it can get to operate. So, long answer short, yes it uses more power. Not a crazy amount more than you use when you're gaming, but you're still using more and when you mine you do it for hours upon hours of the day.

LTT Recruit: Tacoma | Organization: UOLTT Conglomerate | Group: Salvage and Military | Fleet: Anvil Carrack, Aegis Retaliator and CO Mustang Omega

Appreciation to: artofinca.com | UOLTT Conglomerate on RSI and LTT

If you don't know what my avatar is, it's from: Silverhawks

YES!, its like running a benchmark, but its not like your bill will increas so much that your parents will notice, unless they are electricity freaks, or really monitor that shit alot.

If you let it mine for a long time, they will notice the increase in the bill. It does have a large impact.

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

If you let it mine for a long time, they will notice the increase in the bill. It does have a large impact.

yes, but didnt he say in the original post that he would only mine while he was doing stuff like YT and such? so not 24/7,

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Yuppppp $$$£££€€€

CPU: Intel I5 3550 Motherboard: Maximus V Gene RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX Genesis GPU: Zotac GTX 670 Case: NZXT Vulcan Storage: 120gb Kintson SSD + 1TB WB blue PSU: Corsair CX600 Display(s): Asus 24" VE247H Full HD Cooling: Coolermaster V8 and Casefans Keyboard: Steelseries 6G V/2 Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Sound: Onboard + Astro a40

yes, but didnt he say in the original post that he would only mine while he was doing stuff like YT and such? so not 24/7,

Yeah I would only be mining when I have the PC on and doing other stuff outside of gaming. Definitely not 24/7.

| CPUAMD FX-6350 4.2Ghz | MotherboardGigabyte: GA-78LMT-USB3 | RAM16 GBytes DDR3 | GPUMSI AMD Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr IV OC Edition | PSU: Corsair 650W Modular +Gold Certified | Storage: 2 TB HDD |

Yeah I would only be mining when I have the PC on and doing other stuff outside of gaming. Definitely not 24/7.

Suffice to say if you gamed about 4-6 hours a day, you'd mine the rest...?

It's Noticeable on the power bill after extended periods everyday, depending on the GPU used... 750ti, not so much, 280x/290 YES!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Suffice to say if you gamed about 4-6 hours a day, you'd mine the rest...?

It's Noticeable on the power bill after extended periods everyday, depending on the GPU used... 750ti, not so much, 280x/290 YES!

I generally game around 4 hours a day, the rest of the day I would just use the PC for other stuff and mine. For the "rest of the day", since my PC is already on, I was wondering if it's worth mining... And yeah I'm using a 290.

I generally game around 4 hours a day, the rest of the day I would just use the PC for other stuff and mine. For the "rest of the day", since my PC is already on, I was wondering if it's worth mining... And yeah I'm using a 290.

i'd just ask you parents if its fine you'd be using a bit more off energy, i mean, shouldnt you be earning your own scolarship if you can mine without paying for the power (i'm joking here, just saying before people take that comment seriously)

i'd just ask you parents if its fine you'd be using a bit more off energy, i mean, shouldnt you be earning your own scolarship if you can mine without paying for the power (i'm joking here, just saying before people take that comment seriously)

It's not the money that I'm worried about... It's more like "is it worth me mining?"

Think... those rich bastards are using dedicated chips for mining these days right?

Those asic devices.

Meaning its VERY VERY pointless for ANY GPU to do mining for profit..?

Even if Electricity is free, if your not using a room full of GPU's, what chance do you have of mining against a pool of guys who are using multiple rooms of GPU's and Asic machines..?

Not bashing on your idea on purpose,.. but the idea of bitcoin via GPU has busted right..?

Massively Superseded by the better alternatives that only the rich can afford.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Think... those rich bastards are using dedicated chips for mining these days right?

Those asic devices.

Meaning its VERY VERY pointless for ANY GPU to do mining for profit..?

Even if Electricity is free, if your not using a room full of GPU's, what chance do you have of mining against a pool of guys who are using multiple rooms of GPU's and Asic machines..?

Not bashing on your idea on purpose,.. but the idea of bitcoin via GPU has busted right..?

Massively Superseded by the better alternatives that only the rich can afford.

yaaaaaaaaaaaa~ I agree that mining for Bitcoins with GPUs are pretty redundant now. I've mined only 4 Litecoins since I've started in February this year but at the very least that's something that I can trade for money (hopefully when the value gets high enough). What I'm trying to do is get the most out of my system at the moment ;)

What I'm trying to do is get the most out of my system at the moment ;)

TBH - Then don't be mining /w 100% usage on the only 290 you have.

Why risk burning it out?

If you wanna mine, I'd suggest having another machine for doing so with a not-so-irreplaceable card.

Yes. In most cases, graphics cards consume a lot more power than CPUs, and generally speaking, I don't think that there are too many people left that mine with the CPU. Check the TDP of the card that you own, and while mining, the GPU power consumption will be around 90-95% of that TDP.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Pick up something like this. http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html A kill-a-watt meter, it will tell you exactly how much power your computer is using while mining.

Once you know the numbers you can easily find out your electric costs and calculate how much mining costs versus how much you mine. If you pay more for electricity than the current value in coins, consider turning off your miner and buying coins directly with the same amount per month. 

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Well, you're using a R9 290 which draws 275W

If you run it for 24 hours it will add 6.6kWh to your electricity bill.

So 1 day = 6.6kWh of electricity (if I did my math right)

For the math I did: 0.275kWh (in an hour) * 24 = 6.6kWh in a day

I wouldn't recommend mining part time, it is not really profitable now and would definitely show up in your electricity bill.

Also if you're thinking about doing other things with the PC while mining on a GPU forget about it, having your GPU under 100% load will make it almost unusable, but you may have already found that out.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

I wouldn't recommend mining part time, it is not really profitable now and would definitely show up in your electricity bill.

Also if you're thinking about doing other things with the PC while mining on a GPU forget about it, having your GPU under 100% load will make it almost unusable, but you may have already found that out.

Define unusable... I can still watch youtube videos, movies, streams, surf the web while mining

turn the intensity down?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB