Just landed an IT assistant job thanks to LTT : D

theroflcopta

Just wanted to say that I've landed an IT assistant position at a local business and I have linus and his crew at LTT and ncix to thank for it. I used to be an avid console gamer, you know the annoying generic ones that are on youtube that are like. OMG PC GAMIN SO EXPENSIVE AND COSOLES LOOK JUST AS GOOD!! yeah that was me. But after I happened across some tech videos specifically, linus with that old dorky camo cap he wore it convinced me to atleast try PC gaming. I bought my first PCs parts and with linus videos to guide built my first PC when i was purely console about a month before hand. Now a few years later from the departure of camera guy to the arrival of tarren (think thats how you spell it xD) I have watched and learned from all your videos and now have put those skills into landing a nice job in a field that I am currently attending college for.

So linus if you read this I thank you so much for showing me and helping discover one of my true passions in life. Keep on making the videos with luke and the gang because you have yourself a life long viewer and admirer.

-ted block

Side note after making this just for discussions sake. How have linus and them helped you guys? Either directly or indirectly.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Helped me build my computer and learn computer stuff, I learned everything from LTT

Diamond 5 in League :)

LTT and GabeN raised me from the filthy Underworld that is console gaming and brought me to this glorious paradise.

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Taught me how to love...

Edit: 500 Posts  :)

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Found Linus on StubleUpon last November, when I was wanting to build a new gaming computer but had no idea how to go about it. His videos taught me pretty much all I needed, and has really peaked my interest in hardware, where before I was studying purely for software development.

Because of this, I'm planning on studying for Comptia's A+ certification over the summer, and plan on getting additional ones later down the road to try to round out my knowledge.

CPU: i7-3820 | Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 | Mobo: Asus Sabretooth X79Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Storage: Crucial M500 240GB & 480GB SSD + Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB |

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780ti Superclocked | PSU: 1000W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 | Monitors: 3 x AOC i2367Fh 23.0"

All hail the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster. May he touch you with his noodely appendages

That is awesome love seeing people get IT jobs and go to school for computer science etc etc. I have a job as a network admin for a oil company and it has been great so far. Let us know how you like the job.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

That is awesome love seeing people get IT jobs and go to school for computer science etc etc. I have a job as a network admin for a oil company and it has been great so far. Let us know how you like the job.

What does one have to study to get a job like you have?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

well I just went to a two year school for my degrees, it's part of my plan for a cheaper education. I will go to a 4 year university though next year for 2 more years to get my bachelors in computer science.

Computer science I think would be one of the best degrees to get because of the broadness. Otherwise Network engineer is another great one.

I went to a 2 year school for Network Administration( counts as my AA also). I got this job essentially for my internship and it turned to full time.

Getting certifications also helps like A+ all the way to CCNP.

Cisco Certs. are the most beneficial in my eyes for networking. CCNA is one of the first ones you would try for and that one can net you about six figures if you have experience to go with it.

Check out 2 year programs for networking or something similar. Then go to a 4 year and get your bachelors.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

It's more experience than anything else.

But you can start with doing your CompTIA A+ and Networking + exams, if you haven't already done so, these will easily get you into a technician role where you will start to pick up things. From there on, it'd be wise to go on to study for the Microsoft qualifications, since you will be seeing it a lot. Some other qualifications you may want to look into are the CCNA and VMware exams. Getting to know Linus will also be a great advantage for you.

Something I highly recommend is getting your hands on a server, set it up with ESXI hypervisor and set up different Servers on VMs, build yourself a domain controller and set up your own little network. HP Proliant Microservers are brilliant for this, you can find them cheap on Ebay, provide enough power for what you need, small, quite and most of all consume very little power.

Then again, the key thing here is experience, you could find yourself getting far in the industry with little qualifications as long as you know your stuff, know the right people, at the right place at the right time and can prove you're more than capable, whereas you can have every qualification out there and still get nowhere. There's no one clear path in IT, both me and our Network Admin got in with an apprenticeship, whereas our help-desk manager went to University and we know a guy from our support company that has done everything through self study and just reading books.

If you're still at school, it might be worth asking your IT department if they need any help over the summer (in a typical summer holiday, loads of work will be going on with upgrading network infrastructure etc.) and if they'll be willing to teach you a few things.

Great post OP. Good reminder about just how appreciative we should be for all of the info that's been provided. Linus has created a great service.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Linus and Luke inspired me to go back to school and start a new career...

I love all of the reviews, benchmarks and bad jokes..

Thank you LTT for all you do and keep up the good work!

Congrats and Linus' videos helped me out immensely in choosing parts, how to build and what to upgrade and understand things better. I use to be a console gamer too and PC gaming has actually saved me a lot of money.

Congrats mate,

Linus to me, is just fun to watch since most of his reasoning is a lot like my own and hearing a debate about tech between him and slick make me feel part of the conversation since I can always see one of the two's point of view so it's just something I watch to relate to myself, I don't have anyone in real life to discuss tech with (people have no clue what I talk about 99% of the time and even the coders I know suck when it comes to hardware knowledge yet think themselves experts) so listening to them is my substitute and now I kind of watch them whenever I feel like either hearing other opinions on tech (that I myself qualify as relevant opinions) or when I'm too lazy to read up on tech I'd watch them talk about it and if intrigued I would go and check out whatever they talked about some more.

unfortunately I was already into tech by quite a lot when I started watching Linus's reviews so I basically found him just to see the benchmarks of some graphics cards I did not have on me at the time.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

That's awesome, I'm glad you found a job you enjoy! Hopefully I will find a job in IT soon, working in a supermarket is taking it our of me and it's not the most enjoyable job. Actually, today I'm checking out a computer games programming course, so I'll find out if that's really what I want to get into!

Linus, Luke and their videos helped me get away from consoles. I will likely never buy one again, unless it's a handheld. They also made me discover a passion for computers and components, and I have learnt a lot over the year I've been subscribed to LTT. I also built my first computer which was really fun!

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

Helped me to get away from Consoles and infected me with PC.. rather than console im now obsessed with pc. but thats a good thing ._." i think

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

First thing i'm doing with my first pay-check is getting atleast a silver subscription xD

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Linus taught me that socks and sandles are worse than I thought and also he likes pickles. Unfortunately I only started watching YouTube after I built my PC

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

It's nice, little notes like these that make me feel proud to be part of the PC community.

Hey.

Con-ssole...Con....sole.....console.

no never heard of it.

Looked it up in my dictionary, mmmm, nope doesn't seem to exist. What are the filthy pesants talking about now??? Shit that doesn't exist

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones