Analyst: Upgrades of Apple iPad in 2014 may seem minor, but they are important (yeah right)

KakaoDj

Original article from Kitguru

All i can think of is a herder (Apple) and his sheep   :lol: The worst part is that they get away with it  :rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, it will be updated with their touch ID fingerprint reader we all know from the 5c. It has a 8MP camera instead of a 5MP one, but WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU TAKE PICTURES WITH A FREAKING DINNER TRAY?!?!?!? We still don't know how the performance will be.

HFR_WUI_TheHerder.jpg

“We think the upgraded iPad Air will be launched earlier in 2014 than the iPad Air was in 2013,” said the analyst in a note to clients, reportsMacRumours. “The biggest changes will be A8 processor, Touch ID (fingerprint recognition), and main camera resolution of 8MP.”

apple_ipad_ipad_mini1.jpg

Why do people even buy apple products. They make no sense at all. Saying that but neither does buying most smartphones. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Should probably buy the used version off the people who 'upgrade'. Much cheaper and not much difference.

You keep posting these weird Kitguru posts all day long? 

I should probably tone it down  :lol:

Apple should consider stop releasing a new iPad every year.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Funny thing really, everyone is like this when it's Apple and when Intel are about to release chips with an 100mhz OC nobody cares, or every other company that makes tiny changes for the next itteration..

I say bring it on, at least it's something, would we rather that everyone would stop innovating at all?

Don't fancy the new stuff? Don't buy it but this pretty much ensures that future updates will have these features and then some. I'm okay with that as long as it's not just to postpone bigger improvements that are already in existence only to make more money.

Funny thing really, everyone is like this when it's Apple and when Intel are about to release chips with an 100mhz OC nobody cares, or every other company that makes tiny changes for the next itteration..

When did Intel hold a big event for a 100MHz increase for one of their processors? This becomes a big deal because Apple holds a big event and reporters writes a lot about it, and fanboys says it's the best thing since super sliced bread and so on.

Personally I was flaming both HTC and Samsung for the M8 and SGS5 which I thought could have been a lot better.

I say bring it on, at least it's something, would we rather that everyone would stop innovating at all?

I don't think you know what the word "innovative" means, because this is not innovative.

I agree with your last part though. Also, just because it's not a big upgrade from the previous gen iPad does not mean people who are 2-3 generations behind won't benefit from the improvements.

Personally I would like to see them upgrade the RAM though. 1GB is pathetically small and it caused a lot of crashes when the iOS redesign first launched ,not to mention the very aggressive web browser cache clearing and other drawbacks of the small RAM amount. With the move to 64bit the problems becomes even bigger. 1GB extra RAM costs next to nothing and I will be very disappointed if they don't bump it up this time.

I tell people like my grandma to buy things like the iphone and ipad.  because they are idiot proof, easy to use. and they just work. with that said I tell them to buy the older generations and used.  because F giving apple money.

That is a very big lie. Apple stuff is not idiot proof. Just yesterday afternoon my parents rang me up saying that their mac screen menus are all gone. I told them to leave me alone and google the problem. They told me to tell them how to fix it so I googled the problem and all they did was somehow press CTRL,CMD and F at the same time making it go into fullscreen mode. It was such and easy solution for anyone tech savvy. So no apple products are actually harder to use in every possible way to a windows machine simply because they are so un-intuitive. They are pieces are sh*t that need to be destroyed at all costs. They are inferior in every single way to a windows machine and that is FACT!

My Monthly Rant is Over.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That is a very big lie. Apple stuff is not idiot proof. Just yesterday afternoon my parents rang me up saying that their mac screen menus are all gone. I told them to leave me alone and google the problem. They told me to tell them how to fix it so I googled the problem and all they did was somehow press CTRL,CMD and F at the same time making it go into fullscreen mode. It was such and easy solution for anyone tech savvy. So no apple products are actually harder to use in every possible way to a windows machine simply because they are so un-intuitive. They are pieces are sh*t that need to be destroyed at all costs. They are inferior in every single way to a windows machine and that is FACT!

My Monthly Rant is Over.

But windows machines get viruses all the time  ;)  ;)

I'm just yanking your chains

Why even upgrade? 

That's like asking women why buy new shoes when you have perfectly fine ones that are very similar anyway. No seriously, it is exactly like that: This "tech" is sold as fashion.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's like asking women why buy new shoes when you have perfectly fine ones that are very similar anyway. No seriously, it is exactly like that: This "tech" is sold as fashion.

Why are you so against better technology? Why did you upgrade from your 800x600 CRT and Athlon x64? Dual and quad cores are just "fashion" right?

If you don't like progression then please find a new hobby, because technology isn't for you.

Not everyone who is planning on getting this uses the current gen iPad, or even has a tablet at all. Don't downplay improvements just because you might have something that almost as good, or because you don't personally want/need the upgrade.

Why are you so against better technology? Why did you upgrade from your 800x600 CRT and Athlon x64? Dual and quad cores are just "fucking fashion" right?

If you don't like progression then please find a new hobby, because technology isn't for you.

Not everyone who is planning on getting this uses the current gen iPad, or even has a tablet at all. Don't downplay improvements just because you might have something that almost as good, or because you don't personally want/need the upgrade.

You are comparing completly different things lol. One thing is tech-fashion, the other is completly changing the experience you get. And please don't tell me that a camera upgrade (5 to 8mp) will change your user experience -.-

Why are you so against better technology? Why did you upgrade from your 800x600 CRT and Athlon x64? Dual and quad cores are just "fucking fashion" right?

Not sure you are getting what hes talking about... they said "Why would you upgrade" and its a valid question, as there is little reason to.

And once you have yearly iterations on technology it DOES because a fashion question rather than a functional quesetion. Trying to compare upgrading from a 800x600CRT to a 1080p LCD screen is ludicris. There is an actual functional difference. The difference between almost all yearly phone iterations is a minor resolution increase (when their ppi is already over 300 so it hardly matters), or minor battery gains (which are almost always eaten up by bloated software anyway).

What was the last INNOVATIVE techonology that made you want to buy a phone? Other than maybe LTE, i think id have to say wireless charging, which almost none of these support too. (EDIT: I should note im using an old Nexus4, no LTE because i dont see a point upgrading from my phone at all.)

Yes its better technology, but i dont need to spend money upgrading from something that is within 95% as good as the new version.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Upgrading from an 800x600 CRT to a 1920*1080p LCD panel is nowhere near the same league as "the camera has a higher resolution sensor" (that is still going to be shit because the aperture and focal length of the lens is fucking tiny because it has to fit in a 4mm thick device - including a 2mm screen). Plus nobody remotely sensible thinks that you look anything other than a complete berk when you use your tablet as a camera.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

A8?

I don't know when it'll come or in what form... but if they refresh the iPad Air before they do the iPhone 6, the SoC will undoubtedly be called A7X, not A8...

Not sure you are getting what hes talking about... they said "Why would you upgrade" and its a valid question, as there is little reason to.

And once you have yearly iterations on technology it DOES because a fashion question rather than a functional quesetion. Trying to compare upgrading from a 800x600CRT to a 1080p LCD screen is ludicris. There is an actual functional difference. The difference between almost all yearly phone iterations is a minor resolution increase (when their ppi is already over 300 so it hardly matters), or minor battery gains (which are almost always eaten up by bloated software anyway).

What was the last INNOVATIVE techonology that made you want to buy a phone? Other than maybe LTE, i think id have to say wireless charging, which almost none of these support too. (EDIT: I should note im using an old Nexus4, no LTE because i dont see a point upgrading from my phone at all.)

Yes its better technology, but i dont need to spend money upgrading from something that is within 95% as good as the new version.

You would upgrade if your iPad was 2 years old or more?

I don't think anyone expects anyone other than the most die hard fans or wealthiest idiots to upgrade on a yearly basis... that would murder your bank balance.

In all seriousness though, it will be updated with their touch ID fingerprint reader we all know from the 5c.

5C doesn't have TouchID  :P

In all seriousness though, the S5 wasn't a great upgrade either so why bitch about Apple.

The iPad will see a 64 bit processor and hopefully the long overdue 16:9 display conversion. 

144Hz goodness

You would upgrade if your iPad was 2 years old or more?

I don't think anyone expects anyone other than the most die hard fans or wealthiest idiots to upgrade on a yearly basis... that would murder your bank balance.

No clue, looking at the specs i dont see why i would. But that is assuming that the weight of the OS and other applications you have running around causing it to bog down. The big issue ive heard of with iOS items is that the forced upgrade to the OS version causes a lot of problems for older generation devices.

Personally i have an Asus Transformer tf700, and by keeping it pretty much free of background running apps, and lots of syncing apps i dont have too much of a problem with display lag. Though i want to try to upgrade to 4.4 to see if that helps more, though it sounds like its not easy.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

No clue, looking at the specs i dont see why i would. But that is assuming that the weight of the OS and other applications you have running around causing it to bog down. The big issue ive heard of with iOS items is that the forced upgrade to the OS version causes a lot of problems for older generation devices.

Personally i have an Asus Transformer tf700, and by keeping it pretty much free of background running apps, and lots of syncing apps i dont have too much of a problem with display lag. Though i want to try to upgrade to 4.4 to see if that helps more, though it sounds like its not easy.

My 3rd Gen iPod Touch coped pretty well with the OS updates. Don't remember any issues.

All of this criticism can be levelled at Samsung, Google, LG, HTC etc... they are all guilty of yearly updates and software issues.

My 3rd Gen iPod Touch coped pretty well with the OS updates. Don't remember any issues.

All of this criticism can be levelled at Samsung, Google, LG, HTC etc... they are all guilty of yearly updates and software issues.

Thankfully i stick with devices that i can run stock android on without too much of a problem. If anything the big android mfg biggest problem is that they drop support for devices too quickly. Any device over a year and a half old will pretty much stop recieving updates (other than some outliers like the GSIII). And the best part of the 4.4.2 update to android was that it drastically reduced performance problems, ram useage, and overhead, and that brought a whole lot of phones back to life. My friend has an origional NexusOne running 4.4 that feels brand new. The problem is that big companies dont want to support devices that far back, no money to be made there.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

It really is pathetic that people go after Apple's jugular for yearly updates yet don't bat a fucking eye towards HTC, Samsung or anyone else. 

Was the S5 really needed? Nope. Was the M8 needed? Nope. Was the Galaxy Pro really needed? Nope. Yet look at what we have in 2014. New versions of each. Roughly 8-12 months after the last one was released. Who GIVES A SHIT.

These are for new customers, as new customers come around all the time. If they so happen to be existing customers that want to do upgrade, even better. 

Should Apple, Intel, HTC, Samsung, Google and everyone else just stop improving their new products entirely now? Lets not add shit. Fuck it, keep it the same. Yes, Apple did something weird in not giving the iPad their TouchID last year, but they're doing it now. So what? Why are people THAT upset and quite sadly butthurt? 

Children on the internet always amuse me and then make me very sad. 

ou are comparing completly different things lol. One thing is tech-fashion, the other is completly changing the experience you get. And please don't tell me that a camera upgrade (5 to 8mp) will change your user experience -.-

Upgrading from an 800x600 CRT to a 1920*1080p LCD panel is nowhere near the same league as "the camera has a higher resolution sensor" (that is still going to be shit because the aperture and focal length of the lens is fucking tiny because it has to fit in a 4mm thick device - including a 2mm screen). Plus nobody remotely sensible thinks that you look anything other than a complete berk when you use your tablet as a camera.

Insignificant? It depends on what you are upgrading from. I might be insignificant for most people who uses the current gen, but go back more than 1 generation and the improvements becomes quite big.

You should have read the second part of my post more carefully...

Depends on what you are upgrading from. If you guy last years model then sure it usually doesn't make that much sense. If you are two or three or maybe all the generations behind then it starts making more sense.

Incremental upgrades each year becomes big updates if you accumulate enough of them.

Actually, in less than 2 years we went from having 480x800 screens to having 1920x1080 screens in phones so I think the comparison is pretty valid.

Battery life is going up very quickly. The Galaxy S 2 got an endurance rating of 40 hours when it was launched. The Galaxy S 5 gets a 72 hour rating (with a brighter display). Anand's tests shows similar gains.

Performance is also much much better these days (still almost unbearable if you ask me though).

Cameras has gotten a lot better. The list goes on but you get the point. All of these have been fairly incremental upgrades but since we have gotten updates each year they quickly pile up and becomes big increases.

I really like these medium size increases each year, because it means that once you upgrade you don't have to worry that much about buying really old tech. I mean, just imagine if the Galaxy S 3 had used the same display as the Galaxy S 2. People would have been so pissed when the Galaxy S 4 came out because the display would have been so much better.

Why does it have to be some innovative thing that makes me buy a device? LTE isn't innovative. It's just an incremental upgrade from HSPA+. Hell, things like MC-HSPA can be many many times faster (in theory) than what any LTE phone releases is. Even DC-HSDPA which a lot of phones supports (including your Nexus 4) could offer speeds that would make people mistake it for LTE.

I am not trying to say LTE is bad, but it's not innovative and it is in fact another one of those "incremental upgrades" you people try to dismiss as unimportant.

Do we have a special place in the forum where we can yell at apple? i hate apple as much as you do LOL, if there is not we should have a whole site of this forum dedicated to apple haters LOL,,, im the kind of guy that will accept anything but coming from apple, touching it makes my hands hurt and my brain explodes...but yet people still spend 3000 in an Apple wasting their money and their lifes along with it... cant seem to understand...

Apple should die, 100% with you as well as Justin Beaver  :D

People like you are sad. 

Does Apple really upset you so much that you get physically upset? Or do you just say these things to sound cool? 

PS, the logic works both ways. Someone can look at your computer and say "Why would anyone spend 3 grand on that, what a waste of money"

Not so funny when its being sent right back at you, is it? 

When did Intel hold a big event for a 100MHz increase for one of their processors? This becomes a big deal because Apple holds a big event and reporters writes a lot about it, and fanboys says it's the best thing since super sliced bread and so on.

Personally I was flaming both HTC and Samsung for the M8 and SGS5 which I thought could have been a lot better.

I don't think you know what the word "innovative" means, because this is not innovative.

I agree with your last part though. Also, just because it's not a big upgrade from the previous gen iPad does not mean people who are 2-3 generations behind won't benefit from the improvements.

Personally I would like to see them upgrade the RAM though. 1GB is pathetically small and it caused a lot of crashes when the iOS redesign first launched ,not to mention the very aggressive web browser cache clearing and other drawbacks of the small RAM amount. With the move to 64bit the problems becomes even bigger. 1GB extra RAM costs next to nothing and I will be very disappointed if they don't bump it up this time.

Multiple agreements from me, although you might have taken me more seriously than I am.

It's innovative to put these things in a tablet but it sure ain't revolutionary. And as you stated there are still a whole bunch of "flaws" but the fluency you get with an Ipad differs completely from when using pretty much any Android but thats more an issue with the OS and some bloatware.

It's obvious that a company will market their stuff and if anyone blows it up more than necessary that's not the company's "fault" per say. Intel doesn't make a whole lot of noise because all they did was to increase clockspeed for processors mainly directed at OEM's and corporations but we've seen much more related to Devil's Canyon. Not to bring up the market difference, just how many people will buy a boxed processor? How many people will buy an iPad?