FBI to have 52 million photos in it's NGI system will include non-criminal as well as criminal photos

Ezskills

Why should we care about NGI?

There are several reasons to be concerned about this massive expansion of governmental face recognition data collection. First, as noted above, NGI will allow law enforcement at all levels to search non-criminal and criminal face records at the same time. This means you could become a suspect in a criminal case merely because you applied for a job that required you to submit a photo with your background check.

Second, the FBI and Congress have thus far failed to enact meaningful restrictions on what types of data can be submitted to the system, who can access the data, and how the data can be used. For example, although the FBI has said in these documents that it will not allow non-mugshot photos such as images from social networking sites to be saved to the system, there are no legal or even written FBI policy restrictions in place to prevent this from occurring. As we have stated before, thePrivacy Impact Assessment for NGI’s face recognition component hasn’t been updated since 2008, well before the current database was even in development. It cannot therefore address all the privacy issues impacted by NGI.

Finally, even though the FBI claims that its ranked candidate list prevents the problem of false positives (someone being falsely identified), this is not the case. A system that only purports to provide the true candidate in the top 50 candidates 85 percent of the time will return a lot of images of the wrong people. We know from researchers that the risk of false positives increases as the size of the dataset increases—and at 52 million images, the FBI’s face recognition is a very large dataset. This means that many people will be presented as suspects for crimes they didn’t commit. This is not how our system of justice was designed, and it should not be a system that Americans tacitly consent to move toward.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/fbi-to-have-52-million-photos-in-its-ngi-face-recognition-database-by-next-year/

Fix the color of the text please. Night theme has trouble reading it. Next time past as plain text, it'll fix the problem.

As for the actual post, usually I don't care, but this is going too far. There's already too many innocent people convicted, this has to be stopped.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well fuck.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

My goodness, why do we have to pay for cloud services if we got the NSA and FBI doing it? Too bad we can't request the removal or access of our own pictures though. 

Shouldn't things like this require a vote first?

That's why you elect state representatives. The ones you vote to represent you does this.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I hope those aren't nude photos.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Fuck the NGI, brb cops are at the door

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

And our taxes bought them thousands off HDDs to store those photos. :D

That's why you elect state representatives. The ones you vote to represent you does this.

They do a terrible job then.

Gotta love the terminology, "non-criminal" now substitutes "civilian" as if everybody was a non-criminal on the process of becoming a criminal hence ok to watch, constantly. What the fuck it's next "not-guilty-yet"? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Gotta love the terminology, "non-criminal" now substitutes "civilian" as if everybody was a non-criminal on the process of becoming a criminal hence ok to watch, constantly. What the fuck it's next "not-guilty-yet"? 

Thought crimes is my bet. Minority Report style.

They basically just have to yell out national security and everything is a go.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Right? I seriously cannot believe that any of this garbage is making the people of this country any safer.

Here's a fun stat: 4,383 workers were killed on the job in 2012 (straight from the OSHA website). Yet somehow imaginary terrorists are a bigger threat to 'national security' and that is where all them tax dollars are going, too.

Considering they take your photo and fingerprints when you enter the country, I'm surprised that they only have 52 million people on file...

'murica. doesn't surprise me at all. they are terrorists themselves

They do a terrible job then.

Indeed they do

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

'murica. doesn't surprise me at all. they are terrorists themselves

Shut up.

What, no "I'm rubber and you're glue!" comeback?

I don't think calling us all terrorists is necessary. Not at all.

I don't think calling us all terrorists is necessary. Not at all.

Not necessary perhaps, but not completely uncalled for: see terms like aiding and abetting. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

@Misanthrope So you're saying it's encouraged to call people terrorists? To actively support the immaturity and hate that we see on every single piece of tech news (related to government/politics) on this site?

It's extremely annoying

@Misanthrope So you're saying it's encouraged to call people terrorists? To actively support the immaturity and hate that we see on every single piece of tech news (related to government/politics) on this site?

It's extremely annoying

Yeah I bet it's "annoying" to you. When you live in the other end of a war ravaged country getting destroyed by foreign invaders though, then you get to be upset. When people call you names and are mean to you on a forum, you get to just deal with it for as long as you let your genocidal Government to continue to commit atrocities with your implicit permission and tax money.

-------

Current Rig

-------

@Misanthrope Oh yeah sure, the United States is CLEARLY destroying Holland, right?

Which countries are we "destroying"? Can you prove it? Are you sure your country isn't destroying itself? Or do you just believe what other people tell you, or what you read? "Genocidal government." Funny.

You act is if we just love to kill people. But the truth in the matter, is that countries have been killing each other from the start of human existence. Yours and mine are no different. I'll just end this right here.

@Misanthrope Oh yeah sure, the United States is CLEARLY destroying Holland, right?

Which countries are we "destroying"? Can you prove it? Are you sure your country isn't destroying itself? Or do you just believe what other people tell you, or what you read? "Genocidal government." Funny.

Right now? Afghanistan, Iraq, you were only stopped from waging war on Syria because of Russia (of all countries) and you still don't go for Iran because you can't take on China just yet but one day you just might go for it. Then there's other adorable little interventions like the Contras in Nicaragua, Supporting Pinochet in Chile, Taking half of my fucking country in the 1800s, then there's numerous more subtle attempts at destabilizing like the failed coup in the 90s against Chavez, killing several strong leftist political candidates, providing guns to drug lords here in Mexico, you name it.

-------

Current Rig

-------