is the i3 4130 good enough

I want to know if the i3 4130 is good enough to handle 30mp photo editing and 1080p video editing. (system has 8gb of ddr3 memory@1600Mhz) and what is your favorite free editing tool?

I do recommend geting a FX 6300 instead of this processor, but it would work but slower.

And for video editing I sometimes use Windows Movie Maker :-)

i think you would want cuda acceleration instead of depending on the cpu

no ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Im not sure if it beats out the 8320 in some rendering processes. Im not sure about free stuff either, i have made a few movies with my i3 2120 and a 15min 1080p(24fps) took around 45-50minutes so it should be about the same for you. O yeah that was on sony vegas, as for pictures is best to get adobe elements and then mod the jesus out of it, the full photoshop is pointless now due to plugins, you just spend extra money for no reason when you can get superior features online.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

no ?

I agree but my pc is more of gaming than editing i just needed to know if it was good enough and nvidia gpu's are more expensive

no ?

Unless you go quadro or gtx 670 + then the cuda improvement is about 2 minutes, its a lot better to focus on cpu performance and if he is going it free then he will not be able to use cuda.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It will work, but it will be pretty sluggish. I would recommend something like an i5 or maybe even an i7 if you can save up to afford it. As for the editing tools, Paint.net for picture editing (GIMP is good too), and Windows Movie Maker are my favorites. Paint.net gets the job done for most editing tasks like cropping, changing color tones, adding text, etc, but for anything intensive, you might want to use Photoshop. WMM is fine for basic editing, but you can't do many effects.

Spoiler

Everything can be free...but it's your fault if you go down that way.

A good adversary to the i3 would be the FX 6300.

The i3 has stronger single core performance,but it's only dual core.However,it has multithreading so it has 4 threads.(depends if the software can run on 4 threads)

The FX6300 has 6 modules,and 3 "real" cores.

But,depending on what software you will use,you will want to use GPU-acceleration(CUDA,openCL) as it's faster than rendering with your CPU(especially because you have a slower CPU).

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

What about Lightworks?It's free and great.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I think a core i3 is enough if your doing gaming and dont plan on actually doing a whole bunch of compute stufff.  Depending on your graphics card the i3 will probably be okay, but keep in mind that as more cpu intensive games come out the i3 will start to drag behind. I would recommend the fx 6300 or even just go a lil higher and get the i5 4440.  

Unless you go quadro or gtx 670 + then the cuda improvement is about 2 minutes, its a lot better to focus on cpu performance and if he is going it free then he will not be able to use cuda.

It really depends on what you're using and how efficiently they are using CUDA.In Blender CUDA's reduced rendering times by a loooot.I mean,here are some benchmarks with high end cards :

dcaukw.jpg

The i7 is waaay waay behind.Still,why the hell is a 780 slower than a 580?xD

-/-

The OP will use it for video editing,not for gaming.At least that's his main use.

It really depends on what you're using and how efficiently they are using CUDA.In Blender CUDA's reduced rendering times by a loooot.I mean,here are some benchmarks with high end cards :

dcaukw.jpg

its been a very very long time since i was interested in blender so i might be wrong with this statement but fermi cards were optimized very well as the fermi quadro cards sold very well, i lot of people i know didnt upgrade to kepler quadros(i know a lot of people in the 3d rendering world) as they either didnt have the money or didnt see the point.

Listen if you care.

I want to know if the i3 4130 is good enough to handle 30mp photo editing and 1080p video editing. (system has 8gb of ddr3 memory@1600Mhz) and what is your favorite free editing tool?

go for a fx 6300 

When the time comes i will eather get a new pc or get a i5 or i7

dcaukw.jpg

I prefer opencl

go for a fx 6300

Id rather not becouse it uses more Wats and the prics for praformance is worse than tne i3 so thanks but no thanks

Id rather not becouse it uses more Wats and the prics for praformance is worse than tne i3 so thanks but no thanks

the i3 is a bit weaker..... bad choice 

I prefer opencl

it's an example don't be a d*ck

When the time comes i will eather get a new pc or get a i5 or i7

Waste of money, its better to start with something decent than put your money in something low end and upgrade in a couple months. 

Waste of money, its better to start with something decent than put your money in something low end and upgrade in a couple months.

Dont need to get angry i was just asking if it was good enough. my pc is more on gaming and less on photo and vid editing. i just asked this question cuz i enjoy editing photos and video thats all.

Dont need to get angry i was just asking if it was good enough. my pc is more on gaming and less on photo and vid editing. i just asked this question cuz i enjoy editing photos and video thats all.

fx 6300 is superior for gaming also :D

fx 6300 is superior for gaming also :D

I did some reaserch and i will go with the fx 6300 now and thanks

I did some reaserch and i will go with the fx 6300 now and thanks

If I came off as being rude I'm sorry but I just didn't want you to make a bad choice :D 

If I came off as being rude I'm sorry but I just didn't want you to make a bad choice :D

Thanks for the help