Sennheiser 558's Review

nosirrah123

This was originally one of the three writing sample I sent to Anandtech, obviously I wouldn't be hanging out with you losers if I had gotten accepted, but I thought I might as well put it out there for some constructive criticism. Any suggestions to how I could improve would be welcome!

Sennheiser 558 Review

I’d like to start this review with a warning: I am by no means, and in no sense of the word an audiophile. I am however, a perfectionist, and very compulsive. It was on a whim that I decided that I needed to own a pair of quality headphones, and after much internal debate, I decided on the 130$ Sennheiser 558’s, which are now my first audiophile-grade headphones.

Sennheiser headphones, if you’ve never heard of them, are to audiophiles what Mountain Dew is to World Of Warcraft players. You cannot log onto an audiophile site like http://www.head-fi.org/ for ten minutes before you hear the name Sennheiser mentioned, because anybody who’s anybody swears by them. Every review of them is glowing and waxes and wanes about their quality. Do they deserve all the praise directed towards them? Here’s the long answer:

Comfort

First off, these headphones might be the most comfortable thing I’ve ever worn on my head, they’re like pillows for your ears. There are three velour cushions, one on each ear, and one on the inside of the headband; all are ridiculously soft and plush. Sometimes I find myself wearing them even when they’re not plugged in, just because I like the way they rest on my ears. I sometimes reach over to grab them, only to find that they’re already on my head.

There was an exception to their supreme comfort however, when I purchased them I was in desperate need of a haircut, and these headphones do not agree with ear-length hair. The cushions are more shallow than would be ideal, and because of this, my hair would rub between the driver and my ear, creating extreme discomfort in the case of extended use. Since then I’ve gotten my hair shortened, and after that they felt like two kittens on each end of a bent stick made of velvet. The problem may have stemmed from my specific ear shape, but be careful if you have ears that tend to protrude.

Build Quality

Sennheiser sure do know how to build a pair of headphones; despite the relatively low price of these headphones, I’d be surprised if they break from a regular waist high drop. I find that the have a BIT more flex in the band than I’d like, but nothing that’ll bother you in regular use. My last pair of headphones bit the dust through the wire catching on a doorknob as I ran by, and luckily the removable cord still stays in if you don’t turn them the 90 degrees to lock it in, so if you trip on the cord, they won’t instantly be destroyed. An important thing to mention if you’re considering these headphones is that they’re open backed, so if you’re self-conscious about your music, make sure you isolate yourself before you crank it up to maximum volume.

Looks

Ever since “Beats” were launched into fame (or infamy depending on who you ask), headphones have become a fashion accessory. I don’t personally agree with the sentiment that my electronics first and foremost purpose is to look good, but if you do, you won’t be disappointed by the 558’s. Style is subjective, but most people would say that the 558’s sleek black look is pretty dope, and I would agree. They have that sexy function over form quality that I appreciate in thing’s I’ll have to use every day. Make no mistake, while they’re built for good sound first and foremost, you certainly won’t be embarrassed to show them off to your friends.

Connectivity

In connectivity lies one of my gripes with the 558’s. A wire that can be snapped into and out of place is located on the left cup, which then terminates in a 1/4 inch plug. While an adaptor to convert it to an 1/8 inch plug is included in the box, it’s incredibly bulky, and can’t be plugged into a smartphone unless you remove the case. This makes it obnoxious to use it with your mobile, and if you intend to do so, I’d recommend seeking out a 3rd party cable. The cord is also extremely long, to the point of annoyance, but it does allow me to get up and perform tasks near the computer without having to unplug. All in all, there’s nothing too offensive about their connectivity, just some minor annoyances that you’ll get used to living with

Gaming

When you purchase a pair of high end audiophile headphones, your first consideration might not be how much they improve your game, but for this pair, it’s a definite thumbs up. I’ve been on a Counter Strike kick for the past few weeks, so I decided to test out whether or not the 558’s will help improve your FPS skills. It was when l instinctively whipped around and unloaded a clip into an AK-47 toting terrorist, who gave no indication of his presence, that I realised that they gave me a near echolocation level of precision for locating enemies. It adds a new level of intensity to play when you’re hiding in a corner, waiting, and straining your ears to detect the footsteps of enemies sneaking up behind you. Even if you’re not a huge music guy, I’d consider getting these purely for the advantage they give you in games.

Value

In terms of value, the 558’s are the middle-ground between their siblings the 598’s and the 518. The difference between the models is that for each step up, a bit of bass is sacrificed for a bit of soundstage. The problem is that the higher priced models aren’t necessarily better, just different. Yes, the 598’s are made out of much better materials, and have a more open soundstage, but the 518’s beat them out in terms of bass, and cost a significant portion less. I decided to go with the 558’s to seek a middle ground, but now a tinge of buyers remorse is telling me I should have gone with the 518’s since I listen to mostly dubstep, and the extra bass would be appreciated. If you’re short on cash, consider the 518’s over the 558’s because their very similar, and if you listen to bass-heavy music, the 518’s might actually be better.

Sound Quality

Ultimately, the most important thing about a pair of headphones is the sound quality, and I can comfortably say that this is where the Sennheisers shine the brightest. The sound is focused mainly on detail, the kind of detail that will make you notice instruments you didn’t know were there before if you’ve been using cheaper headphones like I have. They also feature an open-backed design, sacrificing bass for soundstage, but what soundstage it is. The soundstage might be the defining positive, for the 558’s, so much so that it’s not something that can be tangibly described, you’d have to borrow a friends or try some on display at a store to fully understand. The biggest downfall of the 558’s is their lack of bass. I’m not one of those beat-lovers who thinks bass is the amount your headphones vibrate on your head during music, but I still think that they’re a little bass-deficient. Genres like dubstep need a good, healthy thump, and the 558’s, while not terrible in the department, are certainly a bit lacking. If you listen to bass heavy music, consider some closed-back headphones instead. All in all, unless you’re a crazy bass lover, the 558’s should exceed your expectations for the price.

Conclusion and Recommendation

What is there to be said? The 558’s come from Sennheiser, a company that knows how to make good headphones. The build quality is nice and firm, and I expect them to last quite a while. They’re so SUPREMELY comfortable, that I wish that Sennheiser also made earmuffs so that I could have something this comfortable to keep my ears warm during winter. They look snazzy as heck, even better than even the “accessory” headphones that aren’t built for utility. They also flipped the way I play FPS games onto it’s head, both improving my play and making it more intense. The bulky included connector is annoying, but not a deal breaker. They’re a decent value, maybe not as much as the 518’s, but still a good bargain considering their great quality, because they sound like you’re placed right in the middle of your music. Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with the 558’s, but I’d also strongly recommend taking a look at the 518’s because they’re very similar, but at a significantly reduced price.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Tears for us night theme users :(

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Great review.

Are M50s or these a better value? I'm just wondering since I got ATH-M50s on Massdrop for $100 and these are not that much more expensive.

They're pretty different, considering that the M50s are closed and the HD558s are open.

At regular price, I'd personally say that for casual home listening the 558s are better value because they're more comfortable, give a wider soundstage and are usually $30 or so cheaper on Amazon.

I wouldn't use them outdoors though. Not only would it be impossible to hear any music, the earpads catch dust like they're paid to.

ps: nice review! I've had my pair for two months now and I love them.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Great review.

Are M50s or these a better value? I'm just wondering since I got ATH-M50s on Massdrop for $100 and these are not that much more expensive.

As I stated in the first paragraph, I'm no audiophile, and I've never tried the M50s. But the most obvious difference would be that the 558s are open backed and the M50s are not. Really something I've found out is that directly comparing two good headphones is just apples to oranges, it's just personal taste.

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Tears for us night theme users :(

fixed

Just make sure you don't twist the ear-cups from the headband too harshly, due to the plastic design its a rather common issue that the band/earcup join cracks.

edit: If this happens during the warranty period, get in touch with sennheiser, they'll hook you up with new ones.

Great review.

Haven't tried the 558, but tried the M50. I think it comes down to preference and sound characteristic. Open backs' signatures are mids and highs clarity with wide dimension/soundstage, while closed backs' are good thumping bass, good noise isolation, but sacrificing clarity and dimension. How much the clarity and dimension suffer depends on the headphone itself, naturally. I'd imagine higher end closed backs still have good clarity and dimension. 

Been using (cheaper) AT open backs for a while, and when I tried the M50, that's the main thing I noticed, the 'closed room' feeling, and less (not lack) clarity. 

Again, depends on personal preference. Some people go for thumping bass, while others go for clarities.

Haven't tried the 558, but tried the M50. I think it comes down to preference and sound characteristic. Open backs' signatures are mids and highs clarity with wide dimension/soundstage, while closed backs' are good thumping bass, good noise isolation, but sacrificing clarity and dimension. How much the clarity and dimension suffer depends on the headphone itself, naturally. I'd imagine higher end closed backs still have good clarity and dimension.

Been using (cheaper) AT open backs for a while, and when I tried the M50, that's the main thing I noticed, the 'closed room' feeling, and downgraded clarity.

Again, depends on personal preference. Some people go for thumping bass, while others go for clarities.

I haven't tried 558s, but from my preference of "leather" pads, and more bass, it sounds like I would like the M50s better anyway.

Thanks!

When I was buying 558s I was also considering 598s. But because I am also not an audiophile so I went for 558s because they were cheaper and also I liked their appeal a lot more. I must say that I got more than I expected and also I hit that sweet spot where while I would not mind more bass I would certainly mind if it had lies bass and since I listen to classic music a lot too I would not pick 518s because then I would sacrifice some attention to detail.

And yes, they excel in games! I hope that they will last me a long time!

Just make sure you don't twist the ear-cups from the headband too harshly, due to the plastic design its a rather common issue that the band/earcup join cracks.

edit: If this happens during the warranty period, get in touch with sennheiser, they'll hook you up with new ones.

I thought that there has been a revision that solved this issue, I at least haven't got any issues yet.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3