Entry level audiophile headphones and gaming

Semper
Go to solution Solved by schwat,

I'm looking to be able to control the chat volume of other users, or, what would be coming through my speakers. As I said in my OP, being able to adjust chat volume on the fly would be a big bonus. I'm sure I can learn to live without it, but I know, at least with my outgoing AX Pro's there were times where, at the same level, I could go from Titanfall, to say... Diablo III and have two vastly different experiences. I'd be able to hear people while playing Titanfall just fine, but during any combat in Diablo III, it's futile to even try to comprehend. Having to back out of a game and adjust it accordingly would be a nuisance.

Easiest way to make voice chat audible in game is to set up automatic attenuation through either your chat program or windows itself. Basically it just reduces the volume of the game while someone is speaking then cranks it back up when people are silent.

Mumble:

cDGc13S.png

Windows: 

HMjcN0o.png

Also windows has a built in sound mixer where you can set the volume of applications independently.

P80ZaEH.png

First and foremost:

Longtime TechTips watcher (3+ years), is my first go-to-source when I want to learn something.

New subscriber (~6 months)

brand new to these forums.

Glad to be here, glad to offer any help I can, though I feel that my knowledge will be encompassed by some of the great minds this place has to offer! haha

Now, on to my question..

I'm in the process of replacing a pair of AX Pro's that were recently broken (Don't chastise me too hard... it was brought over when I ascended to the Master Race from 360, about three years ago :P).

I've decided to go the route of a pair of entry level audiophiles (Under the $200 USD mark). I am by no means an audiophile... not yet anyway, so i'm not looking for the ultimate in audio reproduction. I like my bass, but it's important that the mids and highs not get washed out in the process.

I've narrowed myself down to two headphones on my own research... but i'm not closed to suggestions. Entry level audiophiles under $200 is what i'm looking at.
Both from Beyerdynamic
with a Modmic 4.0, when they drop http://www.modmic.com/ 
I realize i'll need an amp for either of these to gain their full benefit. I'm looking at the PA2v2, but again, i'm open to suggestions. this is all based upon my research, and i'm by no means an expert. I'm leaning toward the 770's @ 250 ohms.

My one major concern going this route is chat volume. I realize this is all subjective to what i'm playing, or if I'll even have the issue, but I do regularly fluctuate my chat volume (With my AX Pro's) while playing games (in some games, it's overpowering, in some games, it's drowned out), so being able to do so on the fly (such as you can with gaming headsets) is somewhat of a concern for me. My problem is, i'm not entirely certain how to go about doing so. Any suggestions? I'd imagine the best way to go about it would be a DAC or amp that has independent input channels, input my chat through one channel, and PC audio through another, would I be correct in this mindset?

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

My one major concern going this route is chat volume. I realize this is all subjective to what i'm playing, or if I'll even have the issue, but I do regularly fluctuate my chat volume (With my AX Pro's) while playing games (in some games, it's overpowering, in some games, it's drowned out), so being able to do so on the fly (such as you can with gaming headsets) is somewhat of a concern for me. My problem is, i'm not entirely certain how to go about doing so. Any suggestions? I'd imagine the best way to go about it would be a DAC or amp that has independent input channels, input my chat through one channel, and PC audio through another, would I be correct in this mindset?

I'm not really sure how you plan on doing this and separating the chat and volume at a hardware level. Few amps have multiple inputs let alone simultaneous, and then you'd have to have simultaneous output from the PC. Doing this over software will be much simpler, so I would advise you to do that. 

You only really need an amp for the DT770 250 ohm. The 80 ohm 770 and the COP's won't need amplification. 

The 80ohm DT770 is a bit bassier, so you can make a choice between which version. 

e10 is probably a better dac/amp unless you need this to be portable. In which case you would be better off with the COP and not need amplification anyway, catch 22. 

Depending on your motherboard or listening habits you might not need an amp at all either way, so I would hold off on that until you buy the headphones first 

Error: 410

get the DT770 80ohms + clipon mic

hellooooooooo

Messing around and trying to lighten the mood is the reason the forum is going uphill.

*fixed

Can you not take a joke?

I've narrowed myself down to two headphones on my own research... but i'm not closed to suggestions. Entry level audiophiles under $200 is what i'm looking at.

Both from Beyerdynamic
with a Modmic 4.0, when they drop http://www.modmic.com/ 
COP

I wouldn't get the Custom One Pros, they aren't a great value in my opinion. 

As for the microphone, don't get the modmic either unless you really have to for some reason. Get a desktop mic or a lapel mic, or even better a v-moda boom mic if the headphones you buy end up supporting that (you would need a regular 3.5mm input)

First before I can suggest things would you mind telling me if you are going to be using them purely for gaming inside your house and if you are looking for closed or open headphones. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

*fixed

Can you not take a joke?

this is not the off topic section. You can take your jokes there.

Spamming useless crap simply in order to get higher amounts of post counts is pathetic. I'm not surprised though considering the largest demographic on this site is 12-16 years old. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

this is not the off topic section. You can take your jokes there.

Spamming useless crap simply in order to get higher amounts of post counts is pathetic. I'm not surprised though considering the largest demographic on this site is 12-16 years old. 

I'm not looking for higher post counts, that is the last thing on my mind. I can post my jokes where ever I want.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I'm not really sure how you plan on doing this and separating the chat and volume at a hardware level. Few amps have multiple inputs let alone simultaneous, and then you'd have to have simultaneous output from the PC. Doing this over software will be much simpler, so I would advise you to do that. 

You only really need an amp for the DT770 250 ohm. The 80 ohm 770 and the COP's won't need amplification. 

The 80ohm DT770 is a bit bassier, so you can make a choice between which version. 

e10 is probably a better dac/amp unless you need this to be portable. In which case you would be better off with the COP and not need amplification anyway, catch 22. 

Depending on your motherboard or listening habits you might not need an amp at all either way, so I would hold off on that until you buy the headphones first 

My thought would be something along the lines of having Mumble, TeamSpeak, or enter "X" VOiP here output through say Optical out and everything else through analog. As I've said, i'm not an audiophile, never owned a true DAC/Amp, so i'm not entirely certain how i'd do this. is exactly why i'm here. I don't wanna throw money about before doing my research. Perhaps even something like two Amp's with 2M-1F output. i'm just throwing theoretical ideas around, looking for a solution.

I had heard good things about the PA2V2, the e10, the e17, and the E09k, so i just picked one... figured i'd midas well support an "indie builder". There is no need for portability. They'll be left in my home office.

Motherboard is the GA 990FXA-UD3, listening habits would be gaming, and long work sessions (8+ hours) mainly country music, at a respectable level.

I wouldn't get the Custom One Pros, they aren't a great value in my opinion. 

As for the microphone, don't get the modmic either unless you really have to for some reason. Get a desktop mic or a lapel mic, or even better a v-moda boom mic if the headphones you buy end up supporting that (you would need a regular 3.5mm input)

First before I can suggest things would you mind telling me if you are going to be using them purely for gaming inside your house and if you are looking for closed or open headphones. 

I've heard both ways about the COP (best value for the money, and can easily be outdone), which is why i've put to favouring the 770's.

Deak mic's, without a stand, aren't a viable option, I had a Yeti, and the way my desk is set up, without a stand, it has to sit too far away from me to be used effectively... that is to say, I have to jack up the sensitivity, which collects far too much ambient noise, even with PTT. I've heard great things about the Modmic. i'm not closed to other non-desktop suggestion (at least, until I get a new setup), so i'll look around.

They won't be purely gaming, but it will be about half the focus of them. I listen to music when I work, as stated in the reply above, it will be several hours-on-end, i'm looking for closed cans, keep the speaker noise in, and the outside noise out.

@Hoppa, I'm looking for noise isolation, which is why i opted for the 770's in my research, i'm willing to sacrifice some of the soundstage for the isolation.

I apologize if it takes me a while to get back to you guys, i'm working on a few projects simultaneously, two for work, one for audio (this topic) and one to replace my GPU.

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

DT880 over the 770, more better for your gaming and music needs, though not really the utmost in portability. 

this type of shit is the reason the forum is going downhill

This forum is going downhill because its on the internet, and therefore people have access to it. 

My thought would be something along the lines of having Mumble, TeamSpeak, or enter "X" VOiP here output through say Optical out and everything else through analog. As I've said, i'm not an audiophile, never owned a true DAC/Amp, so i'm not entirely certain how i'd do this. is exactly why i'm here. I don't wanna throw money about before doing my research. Perhaps even something like two Amp's with 2M-1F output. i'm just throwing theoretical ideas around, looking for a solution.

I know that skype lets you select which device to output to as long as they are both plugged in so I think those other chat programs will too. You can get a cheap dac/amp like the $40 Syba one on Amazon and use that for one and the headphone jack for the other. As for the headphones, the DT770 is a solid choice and you would be happy with them if you want isolation. They have a pretty wide sound stage for a closed headphone. 

I know mumble (my primary VoIP), has designated outputs, so as I said, i'm just throwing theoretical ideas out there that someone can either confirm or deny as functional... or perhaps offer an alternate solution. This is, at this point, the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. It's a matter that while small, will have a large impact on my decision. I could have the worlds most expensive audio solution, but it'd all mean nought if i'm incapable of effectively communicating with friends/family/teammates.

I know mumble (my primary VoIP), has designated outputs, so as I said, i'm just throwing theoretical ideas out there that someone can either confirm or deny as functional... or perhaps offer an alternate solution. This is, at this point, the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak. It's a matter that while small, will have a large impact on my decision. I could have the worlds most expensive audio solution, but it'd all mean nought if i'm incapable of effectively communicating with friends/family/teammates.

Wait hold on do you want to control the volume of the mic or what you are hearing through the speakers? You can split the chat from the other audio if you have more than 1 sound device but not sure how you would change the mike volume on the fly. Also I'm confused as if you have 1 sound device or 2? If it's just one then you're going to have to resort to using windows mixer as there is no way to my knowledge to have an easy hardware switch. 

Edit: After rereading your initial post, are you looking for a device that can combine 2 different audio lines that are both output from your pc and control the different volume of each source? Because that is not possible. Windows mixer would be your best option then. 

I'm looking to be able to control the chat volume of other users, or, what would be coming through my speakers. As I said in my OP, being able to adjust chat volume on the fly would be a big bonus. I'm sure I can learn to live without it, but I know, at least with my outgoing AX Pro's there were times where, at the same level, I could go from Titanfall, to say... Diablo III and have two vastly different experiences. I'd be able to hear people while playing Titanfall just fine, but during any combat in Diablo III, it's futile to even try to comprehend. Having to back out of a game and adjust it accordingly would be a nuisance.

Easiest way to make voice chat audible in game is to set up automatic attenuation through either your chat program or windows itself. Basically it just reduces the volume of the game while someone is speaking then cranks it back up when people are silent.

Mumble:

cDGc13S.png

Windows: 

HMjcN0o.png

Also windows has a built in sound mixer where you can set the volume of applications independently.

P80ZaEH.png

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

Alright... I guess i'll have to stick to attenuation. i've been using it since switching to my backup in-ear headphones (though... no gaming has been done). Looks like this topic as gone as far as it needs to! Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll be pulling the trigger some time tonight.