Samsung 840 EVO 1TB vs. Crucial M500 960GB?

Scionyde

Ever since I built my desktop with its nice SSD. I've built up a slow resentment toward my laptop with its 5400 rpm hard drive. I'm thinking about replacing it with an SSD. I take it with me on business trips, and I like storing a lot of games and videos on it, so I wanted something with large capacity. (I'd also like to keep the laptop's optical drive).

I notice right now, two large capacity SSD's are on sale at $0.47 per GB. ($437.99 for the 960GB Crucial and $454.99 for the 1TB Samsung). I know the TLC flash in the Samsung is supposed to be fine for the average user, even if it is less robust than MLC. Still, I was just curious to know if you guys had any thoughts as to one over the other.

Ever since I built my desktop with its nice SSD. I've built up a slow resentment toward my laptop with its 5400 rpm hard drive. I'm thinking about replacing it with an SSD. I take it with me on business trips, and I like storing a lot of games and videos on it, so I wanted something with large capacity. (I'd also like to keep the laptop's optical drive).

I notice right now, two large capacity SSD's are on sale at $0.47 per GB. ($437.99 for the 960GB Crucial and $454.99 for the 1TB Samsung). I know the TLC flash in the Samsung is supposed to be fine for the average user, even if it is less robust than MLC. Still, I was just curious to know if you guys had any thoughts as to one over the other.

Considering the small difference in price ($17) and the 40GB extra, if ONLY for that reason I would say go with the 840 EVO.

Now, although they are both pretty good, the Samsung etches away slightly over the M500 in a couple areas, including speed.

Not to mention, the Samsung 840 Series (both EVO and PRO) are the single highest & most rated SSDs on Newegg, and I'm sure at other retailers also.

So, if it was me, the 840 EVO for sure.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Considering the small difference in price ($17) and the 40GB extra, if ONLY for that reason I would say go with the 840 EVO.

Now, although they are both pretty good, the Samsung etches away slightly over the M500 in a couple areas, including speed.

Not to mention, the Samsung 840 Series (both EVO and PRO) are the single highest & most rated SSDs on Newegg, and I'm sure at other retailers also.

So, if it was me, the 840 EVO for sure.

Samsung SSD software warns you when the SSD starts going bad as well. Better safe then sorry in the future. 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

Although I own the Samsungs 830's and other older versions, I'm still skeptical of the recent models that use firmware trickery.  

In this case, I would go with old simple MLC of the Micron drive.  

My Rigs (past and present)

Personally I would buy the M500. The capacity of the "1TB EVO" is slightly less so the gap isn't as wide as you would think. In addition to size, MLC is superior to TLC.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Although I own the Samsungs 830's and other older versions, I'm still sceptical of the recent models that use firmware trickery.  

In this case, I would go with old simple MLC of the Micron drive.  

Can you please elaborate on "firmware trickery" I had never heard of this and currently use a 1tb evo. 

Personally I would buy the M500. The capacity of the "1TB EVO" is slightly less so the gap isn't as wide as you would think. In addition to size, MLC is superior to TLC.

@Ryan Leech - I presume you read that wrong my friend. The 840 EVO is the 1TB SSD. It's the M500 that's 960GB. And that's 40GB for $17.

Although I own the Samsungs 830's and other older versions, I'm still sceptical of the recent models that use firmware trickery.

@stevv - Firmware Trickery? ..What exactly are you referring to? I'm currently using my 11th 840 Series and have yet to even begin to fathom something wrong with the firmware.

Samsung SSD software warns you when the SSD starts going bad as well. Better safe then sorry in the future.

@Hashiyan - Yep, this and other reasons is what I was referring to when I mentioned the Samsung etches away slightly in a couple areas.

Also... SSD's going bad?

BEEP! Oxymoron Alert!  BEEP!

Hmm, thanks for the responses :)

I think I might end up going for the Samsung simply for the extra bit of space. The slight speed increase is nice too, and according to Newegg, the MTBF is a little bit higher as well.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested

... TurboWrite: MLC Performance on a TLC Drive

Can you please elaborate on "firmware trickery" I had never heard of this and currently use a 1tb evo.

When MLC first came out, there was sandforce doing compression because the chips cannot write as fast as the SLC (much more expensive). Reasonable sacrifice given how crazy expensive SLC drives were back then.  Now it's TLC's turn.  Driving price down is good, and for consumer use is fine.  

The OP also mentioned uses for business trip.  As an IT consultant... anything business/work involved should put reliability as priority.

Firmware Trickery? ..What exactly are you referring to? I'm currently using my 11th 840 Series and have yet to even begin to fathom something wrong with the firmware.

Ah, I never said there was anything "wrong" with the firmware, just not a fan of compensating ssd hardware performance with software (sandforce  :rolleyes: ).

Only time will tell if samsungs' new method is reliable.  MLC is simply more mature.  If there was an option for SLC for same price in a few years, I'd rather go for that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested

When MLC first came out, there was sandforce doing compression because the chips cannot write as fast as the SLC (much more expensive). Reasonable sacrifice given how crazy expensive SLC drives were back then.  Now it's TLC's turn.  Driving price down is good, and for consumer use is fine.  

The OP also mentioned uses for business trip.  As an IT consultant... anything business/work involved should put reliability as priority.

Ah, I never said there was anything "wrong" with the firmware, just not a fan of compensating ssd hardware performance with software (sandforce  :rolleyes: ).

Only time will tell if samsungs' new method is reliable.  MLC is simply more mature.  If there was an option for SLC for same price in a few years, I'd rather go for that.

Ok I get you now. I was just worried for a sec...thanks. 

I see. Thanks for the clarification. You had me there for a second. This was me:  :unsure:

Either way, I feel they both do a great job in their own way. (MLC & SLC)

Samsung all the way.

RAPID technology owns

It doesn't. Actually makes little sense on a fast drive like EVO.

@OP

You can't go wrong with either of them with that price.

While EVO is faster (in benchmarks anyway), m500 uses more reliable and durable flash. Also with m500, you get powerloss protection and native eDrive support.

So both have pros and cons, its up to you what you need more.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Ok I get you now. I was just worried for a sec...thanks.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. You had me there for a second. This was me:  :unsure:

Either way, I feel they both do a great job in their own way. (MLC & SLC)

Didn't mean to scare anybody.  The evo does have lower idle power draw.  I just upgraded my notebook with a msata M500 240GB, but I would have gotten the EVO for better power management if it weren't for the $50+ extra compared the the $120 crucial.  I guess "firmware optimizations" would have been a less controversial and FUD term   :lol: .

Go with the 840 EVO, but personally, I don't recommend installing their software. Got it on my PC a few weeks ago, did all the "optimizations" and things, and it runs a lot slower now, I've also activated RAPID mode, and I don't see any difference.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I have the 1 TB Evo in my machine (the only internal storage I use) and it's been great so far (a month and half or so).

Go with the 840 EVO, but personally, I don't recommend installing their software. Got it on my PC a few weeks ago, did all the "optimizations" and things, and it runs a lot slower now, I've also activated RAPID mode, and I don't see any difference.

Wow, really? Samsung Magician did wonders for me.. So did Rapid Mode... 

I ran benchmarks before and after. And I also used other software besides what's inside Magician to confirm.. I even went back and forth with the settings.. Now, there was one thing... Don't let Magician do everything for you "auto" - though there's a setting. Go through and use their tooltips but use your own settings.

It seriously increased my performance at a minimum 60% difference.. 'Twas huge!

Wow, really? Samsung Magician did wonders for me.. So did Rapid Mode... 

I ran benchmarks before and after. And I also used other software besides what's inside Magician to confirm.. I even went back and forth with the settings.. Now, there was one thing... Don't let Magician do everything for you "auto" - though there's a setting. Go through and use their tooltips but use your own settings.

It seriously increased my performance at a minimum 60% difference.. 'Twas huge!

Ok then. It seemed quite weird for me too, at first it was lightning fast, and now it's really not that great. I'll try playing around with the settings. Thanks!  :)

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Ok then. It seemed quite weird for me too, at first it was lightning fast, and now it's really not that great. I'll try playing around with the settings. Thanks!  :)

Yeah man, definitely do so. For some reassurance, Google what others thought. I think you'll find great peace in what you read. 

Or just do the next best thing.. Take my word for it and go mess with the settings!

Get back to me and let me know how it goes.

Good luck mate.

Get whichever is cheapest. There's little to no practical difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.