Corsair RM 850+ or Seasonic X series?

Trying to decide between the two.

Kinda stuck, both reviews are mixed. @@

Reviews point to Corsair's "inexperience" in this aspect of the PSU market, and question their OEM quality. 

Seasonic is about coil whine.

If there's one that also features total quietness, I'm open to suggestions.

where are you reading corsiar inexperience with psus? they have been around for ages 

but to answerer your question RM series i love my one 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

My advice is to go to http://www.jonnyguru.com/ and read the reviews related to those two brands.

For what I've heard, Seasonic is pretty much the way to go if you have some money to spend. But check those reviews and see for your self.

crafted personality!

Corsair makes use of Seasonic units for some of their units, sells them for less AND offers a better warranty. 

So go find whatever Corsair PSU is actually a Seasonic, and go buy that one.

Seasonic makes great stuff. And so does Corsair. Personally I use the worse power supply from Corsair, TX 650 w, and it has worked for over 5 years now.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

this is probably not relevant but my corsair rm850 crapped out on me after just a few months of use, i shipped it to rma little more than a month ago and corsair still have their thumbs upp their butts and still haven't shipped a replacement, support has been an absolute nightmare, they seem borderline illiterate and can't do anything, my system has been out of comission for more than a month because of it, an absolute disaster

i would probably go with a seasonic psu if i were you, rm psu might be good bang for the buck but i would go seasonic for quality, i probably just got a faulty unit but you bever know, i am incredibly disapointed in corsair this time.

Corsair makes use of Seasonic units for some of their units, sells them for less AND offers a better warranty. 

So go find whatever Corsair PSU is actually a Seasonic, and go buy that one.

the rm series is not a seasonic rebrand, they are using a different less known fairly obscure manufacturer, and alot of people are complaining about them using cheap caps, they do offer great warranty though.

i'd go for the RM850 series, it's a great power supply imo.

and plus, i heard seasonic is in the same batch as corsair anyway

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

i'd go for the RM850 series, it's a great power supply imo.

and plus, i heard seasonic is in the same batch as corsair anyway

The Corsair RM850 is made by Chicony and uses low grade capacitors.

You hear a lot about Seasonic coil whine because they sell soo many units. And you can RMA coilwhine if it's really the psu's fault. Sometimes a cheap gpu, motherboard makes a psu coil whine. Everyone with a good unit will say nothing and anyone with coilwhine will make noise for 30 people. I would get a SeaSonic based psu or a SeaSonic psu.

My first question would be: why do you need 850W? Do you have a 780ti in SLI? :D

where are you reading corsiar inexperience with psus? they have been around for ages 

but to answerer your question RM series i love my one 

On several Tom's Hardware post.

Its not so much inexperience in PSU, but rather inexperience in silent PSU's.

That said, their reputation in non-silent type PSU have garnered support.

On several Tom's Hardware post.

Its not so much inexperience in PSU, but rather inexperience in silent PSU's.

That said, their reputation in non-silent type PSU have garnered support.

well i dont know what people are on about i have had my RM850 for ages and i love it

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

The Corsair RM850 is made by Chicony and uses low grade capacitors.

You hear a lot about Seasonic coil whine because they sell soo many units. And you can RMA coilwhine if it's really the psu's fault. Sometimes a cheap gpu, motherboard makes a psu coil whine. Everyone with a good unit will say nothing and anyone with coilwhine will make noise for 30 people. I would get a SeaSonic based psu or a SeaSonic psu.

My first question would be: why do you need 850W? Do you have a 780ti in SLI? :D

YES! :D :D

actually its either that or R9 290x 

i'm just waiting for whichever one's price falls more. 

I have a Seasonic X-1250 powering my main rig, I don't hear any coil whine, only the Corsair SP fans noise.....for Corsair PSU, it's either the HX or AX series for me.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Hipro is a solid and fairly large OEM that had been making PSUs for various of industries for years. The RM 850 series aren't bad, but Corsair did choose to used cheaper caps for them to keep the price low (well...lower).

Whether or not you should get one or the other will be determine by the cost of the unit in the region you are at. If it's in the same price range, the I would go for the Seasonic X. If the RM850 is much cheaper, than it is certainly an option.

What is your budget, and where are you able to buy from?

I personally would go for a Seasonic X or P series powersupply. 

You can also look at XFX ProSeries which are rebranded X series (what I use in my rig, works very well).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I bought a new PSU a few months ago and was in the same basic situation as you are now.  I didn't mind spending more since I had the budget to do so and I went with the Seasonic 760W XP2 (2nd revision) and I haven't regretted the decision yet.  Honestly, I've never heard the fan spin up.  Ever.  But realize that in the grand scheme, Corsair makes great PSUs.  Either way, chances are that you'll get a great product.  Might as well go for price.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

Hipro is a solid and fairly large OEM that had been making PSUs for various of industries for years. The RM 850 series aren't bad, but Corsair did choose to used cheaper caps for them to keep the price low (well...lower).

Whether or not you should get one or the other will be determine by the cost of the unit in the region you are at. If it's in the same price range, the I would go for the Seasonic X. If the RM850 is much cheaper, than it is certainly an option.

What is your budget, and where are you able to buy from?

I fly around for work. Currently stationed in Hong Kong.

I've saved a bit and I got a spare Silverstone GD08. Wish to build a HTPC + gaming + workstation grade rig.

Total budget, about USD2000max.

I've had the Corsair RM 750 in mine for about 6 months and haven't had the first problem.