partition recovery help needed.

Xtreme Gamer

After doing a virus scan, I found 2 rootkits in the mbr on sector 0. And when I restarted the computer it ruined the OS and made it bsod everytime it gets to the first second or 2 on loading windows. Now, does ANYONE think that if I used aomei to recover the partitions that I could at least recover any data? Recovering bootable status is just a bonus at this point which would be nice. I plan on installing Ubuntu when finished to prevent future viruses. So, does anyone think recovery is possible?

thanks for any help!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

@Xtreme Gamer

The data will all still be there.  there is no need to boot the original os to get to the files.

use something like the  Herion Boot Cd to boot the pc then copy the file to a second drive.  or alternatively remove the disk and put it into a external sata to usb enclosure or as a second drive in another pc.

ether way your going to have to do a full windows reinstall but all the files should still be there.

@Xtreme Gamer

The data will all still be there.  there is no need to boot the original os to get to the files.

use something like the  Herion Boot Cd to boot the pc then copy the file to a second drive.  or alternatively remove the disk and put it into a external sata to usb enclosure or as a second drive in another pc.

ether way your going to have to do a full windows reinstall but all the files should still be there.

just to know my other software options. Could aomei work as well? How much is herion boot? What other software could I potentially use?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

just to know my other software options. Could aomei work as well? How much is herion boot? What other software could I potentially use?

aomei - i dont think so as the computer is not booting

herion boot - its free.  its basically a collection of free/limited license software on a disk booting os.  you can just download from the Internet.

What other software.  - there is a un-ending list.  there are a number of other boot cd's.  you could even use a ubuntu disk to copy the files of.

aomei - i dont think so as the computer is not booting

herion boot - its free.  its basically a collection of free/limited license software on a disk booting os.  you can just download from the Internet.

What other software.  - there is a un-ending list.  there are a number of other boot cd's.  you could even use a ubuntu disk to copy the files of.

I tried looking up herion boot. All that came up was drug stuff and weird bands/groups. Could you just link me a download? Or link me a download of another software that will do the job? Thanks if you do!!!!

I tried looking up herion boot. All that came up was drug stuff and weird bands/groups. Could you just link me a download? Or link me a download of another software that will do the job? Thanks if you do!!!!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=herion+bootdoisk&oq=herion+bootdoisk&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.2766j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=hiren+boot+disk+download

toplink

btw, I dont know why. But I got a feeling to just say or remind you (if I havent said it before) that there is currently no OS on the computer. When there is no os, Could I still us the software you linked to recover the media? Or would I have to remove the hdd from the laptop, put it in my desktop, and use aomei to attempt recovery?

It doesn't matter if you have an OS installed when using these types of programs. Those programs run off a disc/usb drive and uses your ram.

What you could do if your data is trapped on a drive with a broken boot sector is to make a live linux with a flash drive and also utilize another media of storage you have laying around to get access to your files from linux. Copy those over to another drive before ultimately reformatting your original drive.

It doesn't matter if you have an OS installed when using these types of programs. Those programs run off a disc/usb drive and uses your ram.

What you could do if your data is trapped on a drive with a broken boot sector is to make a live linux with a flash drive and also utilize another media of storage you have laying around to get access to your files from linux. Copy those over to another drive before ultimately reformatting your original drive.

Is there even still a boot sector when the os is damaged so badly that when you turn on a computer it keeps saying "insert boot media or device and press any key" and doesnt even attempt to load the os?

I think it's safe to say everything is fubar, but your files should still be on it even if the boot sector is damaged. Try using a combo of a linux live cd and a flashdrive/external HDD to transfer files over before you reformat everything. Utilizing live linux is good to see what files are accessible from your hard drive.

I think it's safe to say everything is fubar, but your files should still be on it even if the boot sector is damaged. Try using a combo of a linux live cd and a flashdrive/external HDD to transfer files over before you reformat everything. Utilizing live linux is good to see what files are accessible from your hard drive.

Ok, now just to be clear. When we are saying "boot sector damaged", we are agreeing that the os isnt even present anymore (except for possible ghost data). Right?

When there's boot sector damage it means it lost the pointer for where to begin loading the OS from.  Just reading the HDD doesn't necessarily mean you're accessing the boot sector, which is why you can still access data from another OS mounting the hard drive (like a Live CD of your choice of linux distros or another Windows system).  So the OS is still present, it's just inaccessible due to having lost the MBR pointer that tells the PC which file to load first (usually ntldr or bootmgr for Windows).  Have another system handy to backup important data to, and you'll be fine, just re-install Windows after that.  

I had to do this a few months ago when rebuilding my system, I was fortunate enough to have a linux distro handy to move files from the OS drive to another one for backup (There's a reason to have multiple physical HDDs or partitions).

When there's boot sector damage it means it lost the pointer for where to begin loading the OS from.  Just reading the HDD doesn't necessarily mean you're accessing the boot sector, which is why you can still access data from another OS mounting the hard drive (like a Live CD of your choice of linux distros or another Windows system).  So the OS is still present, it's just inaccessible due to having lost the MBR pointer that tells the PC which file to load first (usually ntldr or bootmgr for Windows).  Have another system handy to backup important data to, and you'll be fine, just re-install Windows after that.  

I had to do this a few months ago when rebuilding my system, I was fortunate enough to have a linux distro handy to move files from the OS drive to another one for backup (There's a reason to have multiple physical HDDs or partitions).

Ok then, I think I understand. So you're saying that when there is boot sector damage. The compunter can say to insert bootable media and act like there is no current os on the computer? Or am I off at all? Please do correct me if im wrong. I am still trying to understand this exact situation.

Ok, now just to be clear. When we are saying "boot sector damaged", we are agreeing that the os isnt even present anymore (except for possible ghost data). Right?

What Forren said. When your boot sector is damaged, your personal files and OS files are still on your hard drive, but it won't boot into Windows. If you use a live linux cd, you can access the hard drive and you'll see all your files. From there, you're going to want some sort of storage to copy files from your hard drive with the damaged boot sector. After you retrieve your files, it's safe to reformat your hard drive to reinstall Windows.

What Forren said. When your boot sector is damaged, your personal files and OS files are still on your hard drive, but it won't boot into Windows. If you use a live linux cd, you can access the hard drive and you'll see all your files. From there, you're going to want some sort of storage to copy files from your hard drive with the damaged boot sector. After you retrieve your files, it's safe to reformat your hard drive to reinstall Windows.

What linux distro do you recommend????

What linux distro do you recommend????

Many people tend to recommend Ubuntu. For myself, I keep Linux Mint on a flash drive in case of emergency.

Many people tend to recommend Ubuntu. For myself, I keep Linux Mint on a flash drive in case of emergency.

Ok well, which do you recommend for ease of use in doing what I have to do to recover the data?

Ok well, which do you recommend for ease of use in doing what I have to do to recover the data?

Probably Mint since I'm not a fan of Unity in Ubuntu. When you start Mint from a live cd/flash drive, you'll see your drives connected to your system in the top left of your screen. Simply right click on the drive and select 'mount', from there you can navigate the contents of the drive.

btw, I dont know why. But I got a feeling to just say or remind you (if I havent said it before) that there is currently no OS on the computer. When there is no os, Could I still us the software you linked to recover the media? Or would I have to remove the hdd from the laptop, put it in my desktop, and use aomei to attempt recovery?

the disk has its own os on it.  when you boot from the cd it will load depend on what you chose ether linux or Windows xp to ram memory only.  that way you can access all your files. with out affecting the drive