I got robbed...

So, sometime today, my LTC wallet showed this transaction: f03baecbf52b69e9ca119c79e398eb603acf1dcc10c76f0d56adb35248d34609-000

which took ALL of my LTC out (-1.30021502) and sent it to this address: Li3EKDnD4WXNse7yHt81PtPQRo1mEAEiPK

ALSO, sometime today, my VTC wallet showed this transaction: 53504cb5bec1f96000633433817767c4b09c54e8cdfb7b543b077b19659642ab-000-001

which took MOST of my VTC out (-31.60) and sent it to this address: Vby2EMRBHFRPHpbpVhV7cKaGKZ86Mv853z, while another transaction: 53504cb5bec1f96000633433817767c4b09c54e8cdfb7b543b077b19659642ab-001

took the REST of my VTC (-0.01891654) and sent it to this address: Vwm8eo8KhSRZ2W1eYX71pB2LkD5MNAUAfC

I basically got robbed $45 ish, and while I'm not entirely concerned with the money that i lost, I'm concerned that it happened, and that others or myslef won't be able to get it back. I believe this attack to be related to heartbleed, so i advise anyone who hasnt been attacked yet to keep their wallets offline for the time being. Only my personal wallets on my computer were compromised, and the money on my exchanges remained SAFE. AGAIN, everyone should keep their wallets offline until these things get fixed, as you could lose a lot more than I did. And if anyone can help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have a few other wallets that had coins in them that weren't affected...it seems as if they specifically targeted LTC and VTC. I had no BTC on my computer.

One 7950s' all I need...

Unfortunately you'll never see those coins again. Because of the nature of the network, transactions are irreversible. You cannot get them back once sent. Definitely a safe thing to take your wallet offline. I suggest storing it on a USB stick, and also encrypted.

Were either of your wallets encrypted before the thefts happened? And both were local wallets stored on your PC, not online wallets?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Damn that sucks im sorry that it does happen to the best of us. contact any authority that could help.

Damn, that really sucks :(

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

This is why cryptocurrency won't be globally adopted.

Why do you say that? Your bank could have also been hacked and your money electronically stolen in a similar method (though I assume that any reputable financial institute has already put measures into place to protect against the heartbleed bug... whether that's true or not, only the banks could say for sure).

The main benefit of a bank is that your money is insured against theft (In Canada, up to $100,000 per account). So if someone steals your money, you'll get it back, up to $100,000. The downside is of course government regulation, inflation, the ability for a single body to have massive influence over the value of the currency, and the very un-anonymous nature of modern electronic banking.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why do you say that? Your bank could have also been hacked and your money electronically stolen in a similar method (though I assume that any reputable financial institute has already put measures into place to protect against the heartbleed bug... whether that's true or not, only the banks could say for sure).

The main benefit of a bank is that your money is insured against theft (In Canada, up to $100,000 per account). So if someone steals your money, you'll get it back, up to $100,000. The downside is of course government regulation, inflation, the ability for a single body to have massive influence over the value of the currency, and the very un-anonymous nature of modern electronic banking.

That's what I mean, banks are much safer and the fact that coins are not traceable is just another issue. I'm all for it, but the system needs work.

i just looked at your dream build part picker link on your profile

-_-

>.<

:l

=C

xP

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unfortunately you'll never see those coins again. Because of the nature of the network, transactions are irreversible. You cannot get them back once sent. Definitely a safe thing to take your wallet offline. I suggest storing it on a USB stick, and also encrypted.

Were either of your wallets encrypted before the thefts happened? And both were local wallets stored on your PC, not online wallets?

Both of these wallets were stored locally in my computer, and neither were encrypted, though I'm not sure if that would have stopped it. Needless to say this is quite the learning opportunity, and it'll only make me the wiser. This was more of a warning for everyone else that still has LTC and VTC in their wallets, and doesn't want to get robbed.

One 7950s' all I need...

Both of these wallets were stored locally in my computer, and neither were encrypted, though I'm not sure if that would have stopped it. Needless to say this is quite the learning opportunity, and it'll only make me the wiser. This was more of a warning for everyone else that still has LTC and VTC in their wallets, and doesn't want to get robbed.

I can't comment on whether encryption would have prevented the theft, as I'm not familiar enough with the technical aspects to say one way or another, but I can definitely, without a doubt say that you should never, ever have unencrypted local wallets. That's just asking for theft.

Whatever you do, encrypt all your wallets right the eff now (if you haven't already done so). There is no reason why anyone should ever use an unencrypted wallet.

It's amazing isn't it?

yes

you must get awesome temps with that build :D

like EXACTLY room temperature! how genius!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yes

you must get awesome temps with that build :D

like EXACTLY room temperature! how genius!

Yeah!

I just put thermal paste all over the inside of the R4 and the whole thing is room temperature all the time, even at 100% load!

Heartbleed is extremely unlikely to have been the cause of your loss. Heartbleed is a non issue for cryptocurrency QT wallets unless under very specific use cases non typical for normal users. A much more likely cause is malware which is most likely still on your computer.

Which wallets were you using, the QT's?

Were the wallet.dat files protected by a password, was the password the same for both?

Where were your wallets/backups stored?

Consider setting up and using sloppy wallets to monitor for malware or potential theft.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Hey, we should have a gold backed crytocurrency... Let's see how the US takes to THAT.

Hey, we should have a gold backed crytocurrency... Let's see how the US takes to THAT.

Look into E Gold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-gold It doesn't end well.

When you start adding analog/physical "backing" to a digital asset, you create liability, centralization, transactional friction, storage/access logistic issues, and corruption. A digital Crypto-Currency backed by gold or any other physical object will not, and has been proven numerous times cannot work while retaining legitimacy and parity to the original physical object.

Bitcoin and it's alt coins do not have forced charge-backs in the bare protocol. This does not mean you can't decide to opt in and use a service that meets your charge-back needs such as escrows, multi sig, smart contracts, etc. It's programmable money, create or implement existing methods and use the security you choose.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Give us more info, what are you using for your wallets?

What OS do you have?

Because stupid people don't know how to handle having it or don't know how not to get infected?

Hey.

Sorry for the loss man but realistically speaking if mt. gox could get robbed then any1 can get robbed

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

Sorry man. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's amazing isn't it?

I think you forgot some Titan Z's to sit in that ThermalPaste Board.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I was thinking just screw the motherboard and float everything in a conductive paste.

that has to be the stupidest build I've ever seen.

jesus use some quality paste if you have that budget, AS5 isn't that wonderful. 

Error: 410

I was thinking just screw the motherboard and float everything in a conductive paste.

Yeah, take the coolers off those Titan Z's and revel in your superior temperatures!

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)