My First Build! :D

Akolyte

This is going to be a realtime build log as I want tips and tricks.  That means I'll actually be going through the build as I post the pictures.  The bid for my Macbook pro ends tomorrow so I've made this a little early and will order the parts the next day. 

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has helped me choose and organise this build esspecially @Str_Mape who has really helped me choose parts and has given me vital tips and tricks that will be essential for completing this build. 

The parts I've chosen to order are a little odd I know, but I wanted reliability and component quality over all for this build.  I've also decided to add a keyboard and headset to this build, I hate my blackwidow keyboard (kinda) it has no backlight and I cant remove the keycaps. 

Please note all edited parts will be in red text

So without further or do, heres my plan:

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (from old rig)

Memory: Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600mhz (cl9)

Power Supply: Seasonic G series 550watt

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k

GPU: Asus DCU2 Top, AMD r9 270x (cuz, mantle)

Motherboard: Asus z87 Gryphon (comes with free armour kit)

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 350D

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Keyboard: Logitech G710+

Headset: Logitech G230

Mouse: Logitech G400s

Wifi Card: Tp-link wifi card

optical drive: Some asus thingy from old rig

Windows: Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

Advise would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone! SO EXITED!!!!!!

Don't get a 270x because of Mantle, it's done.

You could get a Hyper 212 Evo or a different Noctua cooler (better)

How much RAM?

Great build!

8gb. Should I get gtx 760?

Don't get a 270x because of Mantle, it's done.

You could get a Hyper 212 Evo or a different Noctua cooler (better)

How much RAM?

Great build!

8gb. Should I get gtx 760?

Well that Noctua cooler is too small and won't be sufficient even without Ocing. Get something tower like, most of them fit on ATX/Matx boards.

OMG a build where I don't see an MSI motherboard and a Corsair psu. I am so happy just seeing this right now. I can't even compose myself to comment on the rest of the build.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

OMG a build where I don't see an MSI motherboard and a Corsair psu. I am so happy just seeing this right now. I can't even compose myself to comment on the rest of the build.

I think ASUS ROG and corsair is the most used combo lol

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I think ASUS ROG and corsair is the most used combo lol

It doesn't mean it is the right thing to do though. I would much rather have Antec and Seasonic than Corsair and I don't care that Corsair is rebranded Seasonic cuz I bet they don't get Seasonic's best stuff so whatever.

MSI and Corsair too mainstream for you? :)

check my specs

MSI and Corsair too mainstream for you? :)

check my specs

MSI doesn't make the best motherboards and there are affordable options that are better than what they offer. I would not trust MSI motherboards in my pc builds. As for Corsair I made my point and it is correct. Antec and Seasonic are better.

MSI doesn't make the best motherboards and there are affordable options that are better than what they offer. I would not trust MSI motherboards in my pc builds. As for Corsair I made my point and it is correct. Antec and Seasonic are better.

well I was not making a point I just like the branding on everything

UPDATE:

I am now going to order the parts VERY SOON.  I've made a few changes based on your feedback (thanks btw)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: My old Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Seasonic G Series 550watt

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k

Case: Corsair 350D

Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengnace 1600mhz

GPU: Asus DCUII r9 270x

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Found one at PCforce!! WOO)

Keyboard: Logitech G710+

Headset: Logitech G230

Mouse: Logitech G400s

I have always had good performance and luck from MSI products. I suppose they are the same as any other brand, Sometimes you can get a lemon, And Corsair I really do not have much experiance with them, I do own a new CX600 V3 made by corsair with CWT insides. But I have not owned it long enough yet to determine how long they run. But it has done fine so far. The quality of it appeared nicer than the other PSU's in it's price range. Seasonic and Antec are very good products. But to say they are better than Corsair is just opinion and does not really help the guy. He should just go with any good brand that provides what he needs at the best price.

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

UPDATE: the parts are now ordered. They should arrive in a few days

OP it always feels good to put together a pc. I feel a sense of accomplishment and I know because I selected parts myself and with others help at times that I am going to be happy with the computer I get. I hope you will enjoy building and then using your pc in the future.

(snip)

The 760 is a bit underpowered for the i5, consider beefing up the gpu horsepower.

Woo!

The 760 is a bit underpowered for the i5, consider beefing up the gpu horsepower.

The 760 is a perfect match for the i5. There is nothing wrong with that choice.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

the i5 is a more powerful cpu than a lot of people think.

No, nothing wrong with being able to fit a more powerful gpu in there in the future, but it's not exactly the most economic choice. I would have gone with an fx-8320 or even 8150 if I was trying to save money.

Woo!

I chose the r9 270x.  I think its better value becauses its $80 CHEAPER where I live.  I could then buy a better cooler, motherboard and CPU!

the i5 is a more powerful cpu than a lot of people think.

No, nothing wrong with being able to fit a more powerful gpu in there in the future, but it's not exactly the most economic choice. I would have gone with an fx-8320 or even 8150 if I was trying to save money.

Well.  I wanted to go Intel for compatibility and ease mainly, I dont know much about AMD and felt more confident going Intel.  At least it gives me upgrade room in the future :)

Well that Noctua cooler is too small and won't be sufficient even without Ocing. Get something tower like, most of them fit on ATX/Matx boards.

I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  I think that should be sufficient.

Thats because I dont have access to MSI motherboards in NewZealand (I think).  But I would go Asus and Seasonic anyways because Linus recommends them, not saying he doesnt recommend MSI and corsair but also because hes done build guides with Seasonic and Asus.

I ordered a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  I think that should be sufficient.

Very sufficient, I suggest some quieter fans for a Push pull config.