PC Starts up and restarts, VGA LED on motherboard lit up

O.CModderz

Hi all! My pc was working fine for the past 3 years or so without much of an issue except for a bad RAM. So I kept it for a while and decided to use it again after I came back from my semester break. As soon as I fire it up, it automatically restarted and now, the VGA LED on the motherboard is lit up constantly, resulting in a failure to perform a complete startup.

I have reseated my CPU and I don't think my ram is the issue since I just upgraded to some vengeance pros and it worked fine a week or so before this issue started.

I'm pretty much mesmerized right now and I don't have a clue which part of my rig is causing this. The PSU, GPU or motherboard? Hopefully I can still save it by swapping out faulty parts instead of purchasing new hardware to replace this old rig of mine.

Any suggestions are welcome ! :)

IMG_20140412_155848.jpg

IMG_20140412_155915.jpg

Intel Core I5 760, Asus Maximus III Formula, 2Gb Corsair XMS 3, Asus ENGTX 460 Top, Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, Cooler Master HAF 922, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, Spire Gemini Rev 2

gpu as the vga light is on?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

that image sent me back to the stone age 

i remember when that motherboard first came out everyone was freaking out over it 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

gpu as the vga light is on?

Yeah, VGA light. Edited the title.

that image sent me back to the stone age 

i remember when that motherboard first came out everyone was freaking out over it 

My first build :) Well, unfortunately a few months after I got it, Sandy Bridge came out. Wasn't really following tech news by then.

reset the bios and try again...

Done resetting the bios and removing the battery, placing it back. No good, VGA led is still lit up.

Intel Core I5 760, Asus Maximus III Formula, 2Gb Corsair XMS 3, Asus ENGTX 460 Top, Cooler Master Silent Pro M600, Cooler Master HAF 922, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, Spire Gemini Rev 2

Yeah, VGA light. Edited the title.

Done resetting the bios and removing the battery, placing it back. No good, VGA led is still lit up.

if u have other power connector for the video card...try plugging the other connector...

UPDATES

Nothing is wrong with the power supply, checked it with a multimeter and there is power flowing through the PCIE 8 pin power connector.

if u have other power connector for the video card...try plugging the other connector...

It seems like this is no longer a variable :(

Which brings us to more costly replacements...no.....

UPDATES

Nothing is wrong with the power supply, checked it with a multimeter and there is power flowing through the PCIE 8 pin power connector.

It seems like this is no longer a variable :(

Which brings us to more costly replacements...no.....

Thats a old card too i think...for how much time u had that card...??

Thats a old card too i think...for how much time u had that card...??

Well technically, everything in this rig is old except for the rams. I think I had it for around 3 years plus by now. Its a GTX 460 TOP

Well technically, everything in this rig is old except for the rams. I think I had it for around 3 years plus by now. Its a GTX 460 TOP

how much u use ur pc..?? like average how many hours..??

An average of 5 hours a day, sometimes 12. 

Some of my buddies told me to check if there's power flowing through the pcie cables and as a matter of fact, there is current so I doubt the psu could bring a major issue. Fingers crossed thou.

Are there any other suggestions to which I could determine which part is faulty?

Id still try another PSU if you have access to one. Mine looked fine on a volt meter with all the rails where they needed to be but my comp still shut down at random times and failed to start on so e occasions.

Id still try another PSU if you have access to one. Mine looked fine on a volt meter with all the rails where they needed to be but my comp still shut down at random times and failed to start on so e occasions.

Things like this can happen? I'll try and borrow a psu and do a quick check with it. 

Bad Memory problem, try http://www.memtest.org/ to solve memory Problem, 

if it still there, Buy a new Memory!..

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Bad Memory problem, try http://www.memtest.org/ to solve memory Problem, 

if it still there, Buy a new Memory!..

I'm currently using Corsair Vengeance Pro's and before this problem started, my rig worked perfectly fine. Went through 12 hours of stress test without issues. I did tried with my previous RAMs Corsair XMS 3 and still, the problem persists...

I'm currently using Corsair Vengeance Pro's and before this problem started, my rig worked perfectly fine. Went through 12 hours of stress test without issues. I did tried with my previous RAMs Corsair XMS 3 and still, the problem persists...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1774665/vga-led-light-flashes-red-graphics-card-detected.html

Check the above link and Read the Best solution down in that Page, follow according to that.

It may help you!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Thanks for the tip! And here's what I did :

1. I already checked with different PCIE slots yet it still fails to boot completely.

2. I checked the CPU socket and found no bent pins.
3. My CPU is a first generation Core I5 760 without IGPU so I'm unable to boot into the bios while using on-board graphics. So I'm not sure how I'm able to flash a new bios on it.

4. My connections are perfectly fine :)

If everything else is fine then checking the PSU would be next to try man.

I did checked the psu with a multimeter and current is flowing through every pin which makes sense (all live connections). I'm lost O.o

I had PSU issues with my 12, 5, and 3V rails all reading out normal. After replacing the PSU my machine has worked fine ever since. If you're having problems with the machine turning off or not starting swap the PSU and test it. Thank me later.

Guys, major milestone here :) My pc no longer restarts once I turned it on and it's able to stay alive until I cut the power. However, the VGA LED is still lit up.

Be wary of your PSU man. Just a word to the wise anytime you have power issues with it shutting down.