Asus RT-AC68U or Linksys WRT1900AC?

JoshuaGuti

Just trying to see if anyone has had hands on with both and if they have any prefrences. Thanks :)

i dont believe the 1900 is out yet, but in theory it should be better, only time will tell

Definitely the Linksys WRT1900AC (Love the retro design)..

But not saying that the asus is bad... Both are great.....

Just bought the RT AC68U the other day. Its pretty great, if you get it just make sure you update the firmware. There was 9 updates for me straight away ( Jump to the latest)

Rig: Intel Core i5 3570k , 16GB Corsair Vengeance , Gigabyte G1. Sniper 3 , EVGA GTX780 SLI, Asus Xonar STX , Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1TB WD BLACK , 1TB Seagate Barracuda , 4TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitors: X-STAR 30" 2560x1440 IPS

Peripherals: Logitech G9x Mouse, Corsair K9% RGB, Logitech Z623 Speakers, V-MODA Crossfade LP2's with Boom Pro Mic.

I have the RT68U thinking about buying the new WRT 1900 AC instead but im not 100% sure if i want too or not. 

can't find a good review on it.

it feels like linksys paid Cnet for dong ngo or what ever his name is to do that video 

and there is no AC benchmark review for it

i wish Linus would do a video for the wrt1900ac vs rt68u

come on linus.........

I have a linksys WRT 1900 AC, it arrived about a week ago, I pre-ordered it. It is defiantly a boss. I don’t have any ac clients yet but I plan on replacing my current MacBook Pro this summer with a Retina model that has AC (not expecting an support on that decision but that’s ok). As far as the Linksys goes right now it preforms like any other $180-$230 AC router, the current firmware is nothing special. I did expect more when I first started it up but then remembered why I really bought it. I didn’t buy it for the Linksys firmware. I bought it for the specs and the fact that in a month to two I can flask it with OpenWRT or DD-WRT. For some one who wants a great AC router with plug and play ability there are many other options that cost less with possibly better firmware. This one does have better signal strength and if that really matters then go for it. I bought it for the possibilities that the hardware has with the open source community. I look forward to seeing what they can do when the source code is released at the end of the month.

post-4432-0-68538600-1398217004_thumb.jp

I have an ASUS RT-N66U flashed with asuswrt-merlin (a nicely modded version of the stock asuswrt firmware) and just got the new Linksys 1900AC monster router.  The 1900AC has a TON of hardware potential under the hood, but it's current stock firmware is very, very basic even compared to ASUS' stock firmwares (nevermind full-blown customs like ddwrt or tomato, etc.)  

Linksys has touted it as being open firmware friendly and suggested that ddwrt would run on it in a lot of interviews I've seen.  It may well be a dream machine for ddwrt and the like but not yet.  The ddwrt guys had to throw some cold water on the situation saying: 

With the availability of the Linksys WRT-1900AC there are some conflicting information circulating regarding DD-WRTsupport for this new router from Linksys/Belkin. To avoid confusion and frustration for early buyers and users interested to use this router with DD-WRT we’d like to clarify the current situation of the development work. 

Despite information published by some news services indicating an early availability of DD-WRT for the WRT-1900AC there is currently no specific release plan for this router. Because it’s using an all new Marvell Wifi-Chipset we first need to run a very detailed evaluation since each vendor uses specific driver architectures that need to be integrated. We’re in talks with Belkin but there are a couple of issues (like missing documentation & sources) to be solved before we can make a decision to support the WRT-1900AC.

So right now, it's a big powerful, fast-as-hell wireless router with a bare-bones firmware.  Like having an ROG motherboard and being stuck in EZ mode.  I'm sure dd-wrt guys and others will come (soon I hope) and unleash the beast within, but for now I'm going to stick with my RT-N66U and its imperfect, but more fully featured firmwares.  So for now the beast will sleep until a firmware arises that will unleash it's true power....    :ph34r:

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ASUS RT-N66U flashed with asuswrt-merlin (a nicely modded version of the stock asuswrt firmware) and just got the new Linksys 1900AC monster router.  The 1900AC has a TON of hardware potential under the hood, but it's current stock firmware is very, very basic even compared to ASUS' stock firmwares (nevermind full-blown customs like ddwrt or tomato, etc.)  

Linksys has touted it as being open firmware friendly and suggested that ddwrt would run on it in a lot of interviews I've seen.  It may well be a dream machine for ddwrt and the like but not yet.  The ddwrt guys had to throw some cold water on the situation saying: 

So right now, it's a big powerful, fast-as-hell wireless router with a bare-bones firmware.  Like having an ROG motherboard and being stuck in EZ mode.  I'm sure dd-wrt guys and others will come (soon I hope) and unleash the beast within, but for now I'm going to stick with my RT-N66U and its imperfect, but more fully featured firmwares.  So for now the beast will sleep until a firmware arises that will unleash it's true power....    :ph34r:

So how much better is your new Linksys vs your ASUS router? speed and wireless coverage? I really don't know if I should upgrade from my ASUS AC66U?

Thanks.

So how much better is your new Linksys vs your ASUS router? speed and wireless coverage? I really don't know if I should upgrade from my ASUS AC66U?

Thanks.

Performance is about the same as far as I can tell.  I haven't been able to try out the AC wireless yet though.  I would stick with the ASUS router for a while, though.  The firmware in the Linksys is very, very basic at this time. I'm sure it will improve a lot over time, though.

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15